Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

New recruits Hatsu 2023

8 have applied for the shindeshi-kensa on the 12th, 3 from Saitama Sakae, Seigou Saito 斎藤成剛, the son of Kabutoyama-oyakata is one of them, the 3rd is interhigh runner-up team member Arashi Kobayashi 小林嵐 for Kasugano-beya. Takayama is from Kashiwa, Chiba, so I'll definitely root for him.

One for the new Ajigawa-beya, Lucas-Kazuo Iima (or Kazuo Iima-Lucas) 飯間ルーカス一夫 (23 - so under the accomplished athletes exception), from Kani, Gifu - rugby player (183cm, 155kg), Tounou (high school) graduate, Nagoya university of economics 4th year http://nagoya-ke.com/rugby/team/players/senior/2777/

iima_lucas_kazuo.jpg

https://www.sanspo.com/article/20221209-OU64UAVOURIVTMKQBQUAE6IZGA/

https://www.sanspo.com/article/20221209-F6XM5EOO6VO35L4NG32FDWT5EI/

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Tochinofuji said:

My apologies for the aside, but good lord does it appear that Ishiura lost a ton of muscle mass. That is disturbing to see. 

Intai incoming? Wonder why he hasn't already announced it. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Intai incoming? Wonder why he hasn't already announced it. 

That's certainly my thought. He doesn't look like he's in any real condition to compete unfortunately, or that he's been able to do even any weight training for quite some time.

Will be interesting to see what the timing is for any intai announcement is when it comes. 

3 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

8 have applied for the shindeshi-kensa on the 12th, 3 from Saitama Sakae, Seigou Saito 斎藤成剛, the son of Kabutoyama-oyakata is one of them, the 3rd is interhigh runner-up team member Ran(?) Kobayashi 小林嵐 for Kasugano-beya. Takayama is from Kashiwa, Chiba, so I'll definitely root for him.

Takayama changed his name to Saito (or rather his parents did). Kobayashi was 3rd at the Usa national select tournament.

Seigou Saito was runner-up in the 100kg category at last year's national select tournament.

at the interhigh with his father, ex-Oikari

20221209s00005000498000p_view.jpg

https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2022/12/09/kiji/20221209s00005000499000c.html

So we have 3 from Saitama Sakae, 2 from Hiryu, 1 from Tottori, the rugby player and one not yet covered in this thread.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Saito is small, but skillful. He gets in low and really works for his wins, which are often via a throw. His weaknesses is that he can be overpowered by bigger opponents (he's the 2nd guy being yeeted by Kuwabara earlier in this thread). He has a touch of attitude/swagger, but not in a disrespectful way.

Here he is vs Kokutai high school champion Rikido Narita

Kobayashi is the disappointed looking fellow in the preview above, but don't let that image fool you, as he's quite handy. Nothing fancy, just a strong guy (admittedly a bit slow) with good basics, who prefers the belt but can do different types of sumo. He was 3rd in the national Usa tournament this year and made the best 8 at the Kokutai. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 07/12/2022 at 10:58, Akinomaki said:

Hiryu high's Teppei Kuwabara (18, 175cm, 165kg) 桑原哲平 from Yaizu, Shizuoka will enter Isegahama-beya, where same high school graduates Midorifuji and Atamifuji are members

Kuwabara as the reason for his pick said he thought he'll get strong at Isegahama-beya, where the 2 sempai are doing well

20221208-OHT1I51144-N.jpgo aa14166d319fd46f5808d79565957e4d_1.jpgo

On 08/12/2022 at 11:11, Akinomaki said:

Next one from Hiryu is Akihiro Nagamura 長村晃宏 (18, 173cm, 135kg) from Nobeoka, Miyazaki, he joins Kise-beya and had a press conference at the school with the oyakata today

Nagamura had scouting attempts from several heya and after visiting them picked Kise-beya, as the one where the atmosphere suits him best. The oyakata was astonished and glad: "I never! He selecting our heya ..."

20221209-OHT1I51064-N.jpgo

https://numaspo.jp/fighting/sumo/20221209

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I guess he'll appear as new recruit at the Haru basho, but we have some connection to the possible heya selection this time, so I put him here in advance:

Yamato Suzuki 鈴木大和 (17, 173cm, 146kg) from Kurihara, Miyagi, aims for entering the sumo world. 3rd year at the Aomori Sanbongi agricultural high sumo club, where Nishikifuji is from and which has a natural connection with the heya of Aomori local Isegahama (but the close connection is with his Goshogawara high). His favourite rikishi is Kise-beya's ex-Futeno though, Inagawa-oyakata. Runner-up at the Aomori interhigh.

http://www.daily-tohoku.news/archives/141078  (most of it behind the paywall, so we don't know where and when)

http://www.nhk.or.jp/aomori-blog2/3170/470585.html  - vpn needed for the video, or get it with youtube-dl:

- as usual he aims for yokozuna

at the interhigh - he lost in the 2nd decider round for the final tournament after 3 wins in the preliminaries o

On 27/07/2022 at 14:22, Akinomaki said:

Suzuki from Sanbongi

img_3aff183e9f26ad30d0e6d9c88ab114da890119.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki

After the traditional final keiko at Tottori Johoku high, his work place as coach so far, Ochiai today joined Miyagino-beya. At the "last butsukari" in the morning he was reluctant to part, borrowed the chest of all of his kohai for about 50 times, finally that of sempai teacher Tanimoto.

20221210s00005000629000p_thum.jpgo

• Like 4

On 09/12/2022 at 13:13, Akinomaki said:

8 have applied for the shindeshi-kensa on the 12th, 3 from Saitama Sakae, Seigou Saito 斎藤成剛, the son of Kabutoyama-oyakata is one of them

On 09/12/2022 at 16:40, Akinomaki said:

Seigou Saito was runner-up in the 100kg category at last year's national select tournament.

Saito had a press conference at the heya today

20221211at24S_t.jpgo 202212110000918-w200_1.jpgo

with the oyakata and his oyaji, from now on also "oyakata"

20221211s00005000493000p_thum.jpgo202212110000918-w200_2.jpgo

and Saitama Sakae head coach Yamada - Saito was team captain

202212110000918-w200_0.jpgo

In middle school he competed in the 75kg category, but couldn't make it to regular, now he has 110kg.

the 3rd is interhigh runner-up team member Arashi Kobayashi 小林嵐

Kobayashi also had his press conference at the heya today: "I don't want to lose to my classmates. I want to aim for yokozuna."

20221211at23S_t.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki

On 09/12/2022 at 21:13, Akinomaki said:

The 3rd is interhigh runner-up team member Ran(?) Kobayashi 小林嵐 for Kasugano-beya.

Arashi Kobayashi from Iruma Junior Sumo Club, which makes him Daieisho and Hokutofuji's kohai.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, mikawa said:

Arashi Kobayashi from Iruma Junior Sumo Club, which makes him Daieisho and Hokutofuji's kohai.

At Kasugano-beya Tochimusashi, Tsukahara and Tochikamiyama are from the same Iruma Kurosu middle school. Kobayashi as 3rd year there won the Kanto area championships. Kasugano-oyakata and the Iruma Junior Sumo Club coach Nishizawa were  same years in the Meidai sumo club, since middle school Kobayashi is in interaction with Kasugano. "Since long ago I received favors from the heya and thus decided to join there."

6 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Kobayashi also had his press conference at the heya today: "I don't want to lose to my classmates.

7 from 9 of his Saitama Sakae same year teammates have chosen the path to ozumo now, the first was Kotokenryu (Bilguun 1), who quit school last year. Among them he sees himself as the one who hates to lose twice as much as others. About Takayama/Saito 2: "Takayama is a friend and rival". 

20221211s00005000547000p_thum.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2022 at 00:40, Akinomaki said:

Takayama changed his name to Saito (or rather his parents did).

He didn’t change his name. His parents are divorced and he has been using his mothers name. That’s not what’s on his family register though so he has to use Saito. He’s going to get it officially changed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 09/12/2022 at 22:13, Akinomaki said:

One for the new Ajigawa-beya, Lucas-Kazuo Iima (or Kazuo Iima-Lucas) 飯間ルーカス一夫 (23 - so under the accomplished athletes exception), from Kani, Gifu - rugby player (183cm, 155kg), Tounou (high school) graduate, Nagoya university of economics 4th year http://nagoya-ke.com/rugby/team/players/senior/2777/

Did a bit of light Facebook stalking, here is Iima with Ajigawa-oyakata. Always nice to see more curls in the dohyo. Based on a google of the surname 'Iima', I'm guessing he's of some Brazilian descent.

May be an image of one or more people, people standing and outdoors

• Like 1

All 8 passed the initial check and wait for the results of the medical check. A novelty this time: Nikkan posted pics of all 8 new recruits

Ochiai

202212120000807-w200_4.jpgo202212120000807-w200_9.jpgo20221212s00005000416000p_thum.jpgo 20221212-OHT1I51216-N.jpgo

4040013725_20221212184718_s.jpgvid

Takayama/ Saito Shunsuke

202212120000807-w200_0.jpgo

Saito Seigo

202212120000807-w200_1.jpgo

Kobayashi

202212120000807-w200_3.jpgo

Nagamura

202212120000807-w200_5.jpgo

Kuwabara

202212120000807-w200_7.jpgo 

Iima

202212120000807-w200_6.jpgo

the other one: Sosuke Miyaji  宮地聡輔 (18, 177kg, 93kg) from Tokyo for Takadagawa - apparently no sumo background

202212120000807-w200_2.jpgo

the heya asks in his presentation for support of this recruit who jumps in to sumo https://www.facebook.com/takadagawa/posts/518237237005057

319702944_518237090338405_82432330817593

He was at a track and field athletic meet when in middle school in Fuchu as 14y old and got the yusho in javelic throw (giant lawn dart javelin YT vid) with 20.93m https://www.nishi.com/events-2018/tmp-event/2018/08/heroInterview.pdf

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Godango said:

Based on a google of the surname 'Iima', I'm guessing he's of some Brazilian descent

1 hour ago, Inside Sport Japan said:

First character is an uppercase i not a lowercase L

It’s a Japanese name not Portuguese 

The kanji is 飯間

He is of Brazilian descent (and was Brazilian till last year), his parents are from Brazil and he got the Japanese nationality as third year in university. https://www.sanspo.com/article/20221212-XTCLLPTX4FNWJDIWMG7DP3QGX4/

So, if foreigners who want to become rikishi become Japanese before entering, the foreign born rule isn't applied. But for that they have to be in Japan long enough to be exempt anyway like Hokuseiho. In any case, they have to come to Japan as children, else they won't make the deadline to enter (before 25). Of course it's injustice to treat the foreigners who become Japanese later differently, but the rules of sumo have nothing to do with justice

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

One for the new Ajigawa-beya, Lucas-Kazuo Iima (or Kazuo Iima-Lucas) 飯間ルーカス一夫 (23 - so under the accomplished athletes exception), from Kani, Gifu - rugby player (183cm, 155kg), Tounou (high school) graduate, Nagoya university of economics 4th year

45 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

He is of Brazilian descent (and was Brazilian till last year), his parents are from Brazil and he got the Japanese nationality as third year in university. https://www.sanspo.com/article/20221212-XTCLLPTX4FNWJDIWMG7DP3QGX4/

Iima was in the basketball club in Gifu Tono high school and was prop in the rugby club. Ajigawa invited him to the heya via an acquaintance, several months ago he started a sumo circle at Meikeidai to prepare. In September he took part in the West Japan student weight class championships and last month in the national student championships, losing in the first round both times - to strong opponents, but he has quite some sumo experience with this. https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2022/12/12/kiji/20221212s00005000530000c.html

I haven't found him on the student championships results though - maybe the individuals have a B class as well

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

I'll say the Iima vs Lima question popped up in my mind since the latter is indeed a very common Portuguese surname (thus extrapolated to Brazil at some point in history), and the lad looked at least half Brazilian, but I just presumed Akinomaki would never get the capitalization wrong.

Edited by Koorifuu

Glad we are getting more international spirit in Ozumo, especially a replacement for Kaisei. Right now the only other guy who has a chance is the Ukranian in College who might be able to earn a Tsukedashi rank if he gets good enough 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Sosuke Miyaji  宮地聡輔 (18, 177kg, 93kg) from Tokyo (Fuchu) for Takadagawa - apparently no sumo background

the heya asks in his presentation for support of this recruit who jumps in to sumo https://www.facebook.com/takadagawa/posts/518237237005057

He was at a track and field athletic meet when in middle school in Fuchu as 14y old and got the yusho in javelic throw (giant lawn dart javelin YT vid) with 20.93m https://www.nishi.com/events-2018/tmp-event/2018/08/heroInterview.pdf

Miyaji is the only without sumo experience among the 8: "I know nothing of sumo", but: "I'll get so strong that my sumo moves the oyakata to tears". The present heya top Ryuden, sekitori Shonanoumi and Hakuyozan all entered the heya without sumo experience.

He likes the fight manga series Baki 刃牙(バキ)and from that loves Baki-do, which has sumo as subject.

From 3rd grad till first year middle school he did kendo, then shot put from track and field and at high school boxing.

He decided to join there after a one week experience stay at Takadagawa-beya, which his aunt had recommended to him - he was at first reluctant, but then liked it and thought it looks good.

with Takadagawa o

202212120001181-w1300_0.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

The present heya top Ryuden, sekitori Shonanoumi and Hakuyozan all entered the heya without sumo experience.

Given that all of them showed up on my prospects listed at some point I find that somewhat surprising.  Of course, Hakuho fits into the same category too, and he turned out to be pretty good after a bit of a break-in period.  So long as you start after middle school, it seems like you can learn sumo as long as you're reasonably athletic and can put on some weight.

Some more pics from today

Iima

20221212s00005000529000p_thum.jpgo  b_15886323.jpgo

33SGDRCDBZIS5KX2DJ6MU6LLPQ.jpg

Nagamura

20221212s00005000485000p_thum.jpgo

Takayama

YAB3PU3RT5MBZAAKE44BOAG4WQ.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Inside Sport Japan said:

First character is an uppercase i not a lowercase L

It’s a Japanese name not Portuguese 

The kanji is 飯間

7 hours ago, Koorifuu said:

I'll say the Iima vs Lima question popped up in my mind since the latter is indeed a very common Portuguese surname (thus extrapolated to Brazil at some point in history), and the lad looked at least half Brazilian, but I just presumed Akinomaki would never get the capitalization wrong.

Yep, upper-case I is what I have. I never confused it with "Lima".

I did a google for "Iima surname" and results showed it was most common in Brazil.

Edited by Godango
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Godango said:

Yep, upper-case I is what I have. I never confused it with "Lima".

I did a google for "Iima surname" and results showed it was most common in Brazil.

"Results", plural?  I see one result (the first one for me) that suggests that, and it doesn't show anyone in Japan with that name, and the total number of people is extremely low.  The second one for me is about the name as a Japanese name, and there's another that lists a bunch of Japanese people with the name and no one from Brazil.  Others are about how it's used as a first name, despite specifying "surname", because Google always assumes you don't want what you say you want, you want what other people want.

I looked at how the first site did with total numbers for other Japanese names, and it appears to be accurate with the more popular ones at least.  I did find a site that said around 1,300 people in Japan have the name, and it's 7,127th out of 10,000 entries.

I looked up another clearly Japanese name in the 7000s, Yanatori, on the same site that said Brazil for Iima, and it has 5 people in Japan and no one anywhere else, while the other site had the similar 1,300 in Japan.  I then looked for a good Japanese name as far down on the list as possible, and found Katamura.  This time, both sites agree there are around 800 such people in Japan, with a few scattered others.  Something's a bit weird.

Edited by Gurowake

I really wasn't expecting to get into such a big thing over the name; especially when I typed it correctly, shared the insights I found, and was correct in the conclusion.

I love you guys, but damn.

• Haha 3