Akinomaki

Kyushu 2022 discussion (results)

31 minutes ago, Gurowake said:
8 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

A slight insult to Shodai, he's not worthy to meet Takakeisho in the final bout, Wakatakakage is an even more easy opponent now, kachikoshi and no double digits possible

I'd say Wakatakakage has a bit more to fight for.  Shodai has absolutely nothing to fight for but, but Wakatakakage can at least get a win closer to Ozeki.  While he'd still need a very good score in January, the 9th win could count for something if it's borderline next time.

Other sanyaku Takakeisho could have faced with anything to fight for would be Mitakeumi or Tamawashi, but they clearly are just not doing those kind of matches these days.  Wakatakakage I think was the clear choice given what they've been doing recently.

Considering how Mitakeumi and Shōdai did (or not) in their bout today I think it's good that Takakeishō at least has an opponent performing to some degree, just purely for the optics of the musubi no ichiban not being another farce. That was the worst ever sumo I saw from rikishi who've won a yūshō.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

So, Hoshoryu and Oho both fade and fall out of yusho contention entirely. Takayasu surely has to make it over the line now …

Worth pointing out that Takakeisho has managed 10+ wins three basho in a row now, almost unnoticed due to other circumstances. That’s a very solid Ozeki record even accounting for the weaker competition. It’s his most consistent run of three since he got the rank. A win tomorrow will make it 33/45, same as Ozeki promotion level.

Most oshi wrestlers tend to peak early (I know, there´s that Irish guy...). Takakeisho is no exception. Barring  the "luck" of a seriously injured Yokozuna and others stalling in their progression, he is primed for a fine Ozeki career for another two years, imo.

29 minutes ago, mugatake said:

And wouldn't that be a shame?

100%. I love both guys, and relate to them to an extent.

1 hour ago, Benevolance said:

Ugh. I clearly jinxed Takayasu. It's going to be very difficult for him to get the junyusho now.   (Weeping...)

No worries.  The YSCC's Rev Psych Dept., using the award-winning Bayesian Chokeology Matrix method, now puts Takayasu's chances at 0.012%.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Yamanashi said:
1 hour ago, Benevolance said:

Ugh. I clearly jinxed Takayasu. It's going to be very difficult for him to get the junyusho now.   (Weeping...)

No worries.  The YSCC's Rev Psych Dept., using the award-winning Bayesian Chokeology Matrix method, now puts Takayasu's chances at 0.012%.

This probably belongs in Ridiculous Predictions instead, but I swear I will laugh my ass off at you two if Takayasu and Abi injure each other in tomorrow's bout, Abi wins, Takakeishō loses, and both Takayasu and Abi are too injured for the playoff.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

This probably belongs in Ridiculous Predictions instead, but I swear I will laugh my ass off at you two if Takayasu and Abi injure each other in tomorrow's bout, Abi wins, Takakeishō loses, and both Takayasu and Abi are too injured for the playoff.

IIRC, the rule then would be that, since Hokoshoryu bests Oho in Strength of Schedule, Hoshoryu is crowned the King of France, while Oho settles for the crown of Miss America.  But, remember, my Google Japanese is a little dodgy.

• Haha 1

Who's the choker now? 

(this is only a rhetorical question, please don't answer before tomorrow's Takayasu bout ;-)

1 hour ago, Seiyashi said:

Jokes aside, I wonder how they would deal with that situation. Co-champions? No winner and give them both J instead?

34 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

Jokes aside, I wonder how they would deal with that situation. Co-champions? No winner and give them both J instead?

They would tell everyone, including the spectators, to come back in a week while they both heal.  Then they would hold the final bout to determine the winner.

Edited by sumojoann

We already saw (sort of, at least) that scenario with the Kisenosato/Terunofuji playoff. I suppose it could always be worse/more obvious going into the match, but it sure wasn't pretty in the aftermath.

12 hours ago, Thorbjarn said:

I honestly think the fairest solution would have been to give Abi another high quality bout against Takakeisho instead of having the joi-Maegashira who went through the top of the banzuke once again getting the toughest probable match up, but there is definitely bias there I'll admit. The powers that be probably know this is the best shot at a 3-Way-Dance...

Who's Takayasu fighting in that scenario? (Kotonowaka, I guess?)

On 23/11/2022 at 03:48, Seiyashi said:

Sole lead for Hōshōryū. None of Ōhō, Takakeishō, Wakatakakakage, or Kiribayama look likely to stop him. 

Sorry, just catching up with with this thread and this was the first post I saw! To be fair I certainly didn't expect Hoshoryu to lose three in a row. We'll see how he does against Kiribayama tomorrow. (And maybe he would have beaten Wakatakakage...) 

Abi is a dangerous final-day opponent for Takayasu. If Takayasu stiffens up from the pressure like he has before, Abi's Tsuppari will get the best of him. And if he lunges with his aggressive kachiage, Abi has the cleverness and quick reaction to henka him and cause him to lose balance. 

Rooting for Takayasu especially and Abi if not him, but this final day is shaping up to be a Takakeisho extra-innings win. 

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 1

Did you all see Ryuden's performance today? He used every ounce of courage, resourcefulness, skills and guile to stay in the match. I was hugely impressed but that is exactly what we have a right to expect from a sekitori: for 20 seconds or so I want to see them fight as though winning the bout was the most important thing in the world. We saw that from Ryuden today, and the match stuck out like a sore thumb because we haven't seen enough of that spirit this basho. There's been too much giving up on the bales, putting the hands down after being slightly off-balance and generally sloppy sumo.

And finally, what is up with Ryuden's hairdo. Today was an extreme case, but even in his first makuuchi run he often ended a match with the mage looking like it was about to fall off his head. I would blame the tokoyama but Kagayaki does not seem to suffer from the same problem. Does Ryuden have problem hair, or is he an impatient, fidgety type who refuses to sit still?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kaninoyama said:

Abi is a dangerous final-day opponent for Takayasu. If Takayasu stiffens up from the pressure like he has before, Abi's Tsuppari will get the best of him. And if he lunges with his aggressive kachiage, Abi has the cleverness and quick reaction to henka him and cause him to lose balance. 

Where is the outrage at the kachiages that Takayasu has been doing! It seemed such an important topic in matches in the not so distant past. 

I am just kidding. In sumo the rikishi should be prepared for anything that may be thrown at them. If Abi hasn't been paying attention then he is in for another potential forearm blast tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, Kishinoyama said:

Where is the outrage at the kachiages that Takayasu has been doing! It seemed such an important topic in matches in the not so distant past. 

I am just kidding. In sumo the rikishi should be prepared for anything that may be thrown at them. If Abi hasn't been paying attention then he is in for another potential forearm blast tomorrow. 

Abi’s tachiai style makes it harder for Takayasu to land an elbow. Abi’s hands are up quick, and his arms are long, so he’s usually good at keeping guys away from his face.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kishinoyama said:

If you need it to win 1 yūshō, sure, if you need it to win your 43rd.... Rank is one thing but a kachiage IMO is more forgivable as part of a desperate challenger's repertoire than as part of a multi champion's attempt to extend his own record. The former is pluck, the latter is just hogging the glory. 

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

If you need it to win 1 yūshō, sure, if you need it to win your 43rd....

The literature of sports is full of stories about older players who have to bend the rules to keep the opponent and The Reaper at bay.  For example, back in "the old days" a veteran baseball pitcher would come up with spitballs, greaseballs, hair oil balls, etc. to put a little extra break on their pitches.

Sansho announced:

Shukun-sho --> Takayasu
Kanto-sho --> Abi
Gino-sho --> Hoshoryu (win conditional)

• Like 2

Surprised Oho doesn't at least get a conditional, being a standout during the first half often carries good weight.

Edited by Katooshu

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

Abi’s tachiai style makes it harder for Takayasu to land an elbow. Abi’s hands are up quick, and his arms are long, so he’s usually good at keeping guys away from his face.

Oh I agree but I still think Takayasu will try. He may look very foolish though if what you said come to fruition. 

1 minute ago, Katooshu said:

Usually they go all in on the early frontrunners, so surprised Oho doesn't at least get a conditional

Cue the obligatory Takatoriki and Chris Sumo videos of NSK out to get Oho because of him being Takatoriki's son. To be honest, who did he face to get where he's at compared to Hoshoryu? The latter at least has beaten all of the sanyaku except for Takakeisho and Kiribayama who he's going against today

• Like 1

His record is very similar to Abi's, who has a guaranteed award despite being a top division veteran ranked way below his level. Special prizes often go to guys who haven't bulldozed every sanyaku opponent, and with how long he was in contention he stood out as someone who would be in the sansho discussion, even if just for a conditional award in the case he goes 11-4.

Conspiracy? I highly doubt it, he'd hardly be the first person with a good argument for nomination not to get one.

Edited by Katooshu

Yeah I don't think the prizes are a conspiracy, just that they hand them out a lot less in recent years.