Akinomaki

Kyushu 2022 discussion (results)

Recommended Posts

On 26/05/2022 at 16:37, Akinomaki said:

The next Tokyo basho will again have a limit of about 87% (9265) for the number of spectators allowed, the following regional basho in Kyushu again with full capacity like Nagoya, 6976 for the Fukuoka kokusai center.

The 5 Kyushu responsible oyakata made the required visit to the governor of Fukuoka one week earlier than usual, to start preparations for Corona at a filled basho. 

And they brought the basho poster

5010017258_20220908183800_m.jpgvid

Says "Going to Fukuoka!"

FcHvFoUakAM1NPZ?format=jpg

It doesn't look really interesting at first glance, the plain recent jungyo style like this basho (on the right)

On 24/06/2022 at 17:00, Akinomaki said:

The NSK reacted somehow, for the Kyushu basho they have started a poster design campaign https://poster.sumo.or.jp/

They'd like new ideas as well - the winner of this "design contest" will have the poster used, but no mention of what he gets for that use.

The last 5 Kyushu posters, 2016-19 and last year: https://poster.sumo.or.jp/PosterWorks

The site says the result will be published on the NSK site this month, not yet though

Advance ticket sales for the public start on the 17th

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

the plain recent jungyo style like this basho (on the right)

Still better than the hot mess that was Nagoya's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ticket sales have started, no day sold out yet and chair seats in all categories are still available for day 15 https://sumo.pia.jp/vacant/va11.jsp

They use more than one poster design - this one looks like their own boring usual one

Fc6ak3xaEAEzPNI?format=jpg

This is not for international use

Fc2iPFyaIAAWPxZ?format=jpg

better look at the main one

Fc2h1aEaMAEyfKY?format=jpg

more

Fc6acV8aEAMXIRc?format=jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/09/2022 at 10:56, Akinomaki said:
On 24/06/2022 at 17:00, Akinomaki said:

The NSK reacted somehow, for the Kyushu basho they have started a poster design campaign https://poster.sumo.or.jp/

They'd like new ideas as well - the winner of this "design contest" will have the poster used, but no mention of what he gets for that use. 

The last 5 Kyushu posters, 2016-19 and last year: https://poster.sumo.or.jp/PosterWorks

The site says the result will be published on the NSK site this month, not yet though

PR with the 4 selected fan made posters (shown in the above post)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The gomen-fuda for the basho has been put in place today at the Fukuoka kokusai center

20221004-OYTNI50016-1.jpg?type=mediumo

the Kyushu responsible oyakata team: Onogawa, no.2 Shiratama, chief Sakaigawa in the middle, Mihogaseki, Shiranui

FKZL6UYRKVNJ7KV4OAUA6HBEDQ.jpg

 

the 4 posters for Kyushu are on sale at 7/11convenience store for 1 year starting on day 1 of the basho: you can print them A3 size at the copy machines in the stores, for 200 yen each https://www.sej.co.jp/products/bromide/subromide2111.html

FeNj9FYVUAAG3bq?format=jpg

All other posters since Aki 2021 are still available - likely also for one year

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Special fan service: all who come to see the basho get this panorama newspaper extra with 7 top rikishi - does it mean Tamawashi is sekiwake? - likely, but we'll see on Monday

The only other theory I have is it's for image composition. They need the yokozuna in the center so they need an odd number, and who better to fill the gap than last time's winner?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IIRC, someone already posted a long list of rikishi expected to be kyujo in Kyushu.  I can't seem to find it, and Rikishi Status thread has yet to be started.  I'd appreciate anyone who could steer me towards that.

Thanks!

Edited by Ack!
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ack! said:

IIRC, someone already posted a long list of rikishi expected to be kyujo in Kyushu.  I can't seem to find it, and Rikishi Status thread has yet to be started.  I'd appreciate anyone who could steer me towards that.

Thanks!

Officially no one is kyūjō yet: https://sumo.or.jp/ResultData/absence/ is blank.

We know Terunofuji almost certainly isn't competing, and Abi is doubtful. No word on Ishiura either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My western brain finds it awkward that they are using a confirmed-to-be-absent guy as the promotional centerpiece.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/10/2022 at 22:57, Yarimotsu said:

The only other theory I have is it's for image composition. They need the yokozuna in the center so they need an odd number, and who better to fill the gap than last time's winner?

Turns out it's probably even simpler - Tamawashi is the 7th man on the banzuke at K1E.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Koorifuu said:

My western brain finds it awkward that they are using a confirmed-to-be-absent guy as the promotional centerpiece.

Terunofuji I don't think is officially confirmed as absent; it's just extremely likely given that he just underwent surgery.  It's still possible that there's a miraculous recovery and he'll be ready in a week.  Also to consider is that the promotional materials may have been developed before the surgery.

But really, they're going to put the only Yokozuna they have on the promotional materials regardless.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Benevolance said:

Terunofuji just needs to gambarize. 

Terunofuji needs to take the time to rest and come back strong for January, the YDC said its ok, so please Teru, rest

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kyushu chief Sakaigawa for the NSK today made the obligatory pledge to the local police to ban and evict the yakuza from the basho - a load of local news clips:

5010018103_20221110184501_s.jpgNHK

RKB https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhY1a6yWODE

TNC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prFapk4qC7M

FBS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yvnNL-yqRE

small_IP221110JAA000242000.jpgo 20221111-OYTNI50005-1.jpg?type=mediumo

Sakaigawa on the 8th - head of the Kyushu team for the 7th year now

20221110at41S_t.jpgo

 

Kyushu interviews

NHK news at 5 with Tohakuryu and Azumaryu https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjt6zIj9e_Q

Churanoumi aiming for makuuchi

5090020755_20221107210527_s.jpgvid

Kataonami's Kumagatani (Tamaasuka) about Tamawashi and what to expect from him at the basho

3000025800_20221107185139_s.jpgvid

Edited by Akinomaki

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Deputy chief shimpan Kumegawa is kyujo the whole basho, deputy chief shimpan Fujishima is replacing him http://www.sanspo.com/article/20221112-WD6RNZMWNBPSBCVIZHOFFKHJTA/

- Fujishima nowadays regularly is only at the torikumi making conferences, but not at the dohyo

Shimpan Edagawa is also kyujo, for now same Tokitsukaze-beya's Izutsu oyakata is replacing him.

- no reasons given for the 2 shimpan kyujo

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dohyo matsuri today - as still usual now, without rikishi and without the public

b_15802098.jpgo 20221112at51S_t.jpgo b_15802027.jpgo 20221112-OYTNI50020-1.jpg?type=mediumo

Chief Sakaigawa

202211120000471-w200_0.jpgo 202211120000471-w200_1.jpgo

interview afterwards

20221112-OHT1I51100-N.jpgo

The basho will go at full capacity of 6976 spectators allowed, but no day is sold out yet - day 15 will likely be, only a few masu seat boxes left https://sumo.pia.jp/vacant/va11.jsp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kyokutaisei is not kyujo and will compete on day1 in Jk. So he will try this come back after all, good luck to him and let's hope he can be injury free for a while

Edited by Bakayokozuna
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No idea if this is a ridiculous prediction, but I expect Takakeisho to win with a 13-2PP, beating Shodai and Mitakeumi. 

Good to have a major event in the bleak month of November. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going all in on Takayasu this basho. This is your time to shine, big man. 

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I'm gonna predict Wakatakakage 12-3 after beating Hoshoryu in a playoff. 

6 hours ago, Bakayokozuna said:

Kyokutaisei is not kyujo and will compete on day1 in Jk. So he will try this come back after all, good luck to him and let's hope he can be injury free for a while

Wish him the best. I've liked him since watching "An Ordinary Life"

 

Can we hurry up and start this thing already? 

Edited by since_94

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Thorbjarn said:

No idea if this is a ridiculous prediction, but I expect Takakeisho to win with a 13-2PP, beating Shodai and Mitakeumi. 

Good to have a major event in the bleak month of November. 

I also think it's takakeisho's basho to lose and he seems in the right mindset to get it won. Kotonowaka is my pick for runner-up, if they handled sanyaku promotions like they did a few decades ago he'd be in the same position as wakatakakage and looking strong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, since_94 said:
6 hours ago, Bakayokozuna said:

Kyokutaisei is not kyujo and will compete on day1 in Jk. So he will try this come back after all, good luck to him and let's hope he can be injury free for a while

Wish him the best. I've liked him since watching "An Ordinary Life"

It is possible, of course that he is going to do that Ryuden thing where he just competes in one match to avoid dropping off the banzuke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now