Sign in to follow this  
Jejima

Guess Hokutofuji's Aite - September 2022 edition

8.wakamotoharu -- and then things will get interesting!  Has our beloved hokutofuji been in the lead on nakabi before?

Looks like he was 7-0 in Aki 2018 along with Hakuho, Kakuryu, and Takayasu, but then he lost on Sunday and collapsed to 9-6. Fair to say the level of competition was a bit higher back then, though.

Edited by Sumo Spiffy
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Sumo Spiffy said:

Anyway, 8. Wakamotoharu, but I'm gonna kick myself it ends up being Endo.

Go on! B-)

Gurowake (Y1e) 7-1
Reonito (YOe) 7-1
Sakura (YOw) 7-1
Oshirokita (S1e) 6-2
Jakusotsu (S1w) 6-2
Hakuhonofan (K1e) 6-2
Sumo Spiffy (M1e) 6-2
shimodahito (M3e) 6-1-1
Seiyashi (M1w) 5-3
WAKATAKE (M2w) 5-1-2
Profomisakari (K1w) 4-4
Jejima (M3w) 3-5
The Kyokai (M4e) 1-7
Chartorenji (M2e) 0-0-8
Ryoshishokunin (M4w) 0-0-8

Hokutofuji's aites: 1. Tochinoshin(Myogiryu), 2. Myogiryu(Onosho), 3. Aoiyama, 4. Tochinoshin, 5. Kotoeko, 6. Nishikifuji, 7. Takanosho, 8. Endo

12 hours ago, Gurowake said:

I agree that it's unusual to give the top ranked rikishi a sanyaku opponent at this point with other maegashira bouts still needed, but they seem to like sometimes doing slightly weird things that don't really cause any problems.  There are ways that things tend to happen, but there's always the chance they'll decide to do something else.  It might be because they want Terunofuji vs. Ichinojo on a Saturday for some reason; getting specific matches on specific days seems to sometimes be the reason for things to happen a bit strangely.

My guess is that they are worried that one or both of these crowd pleasers might want to pull out soon, so get this match in before that happens. Winner stays on....?

9. Sadanoumi

Edited by Gurowake

I hate myself. I worked out Endo as an even day thing (though not with that Sanyaku combo), but the train put me off and I thought `what do they know that I don't'. 

30 minutes ago, Sakura said:

I hate myself. I worked out Endo as an even day thing (though not with that Sanyaku combo), but the train put me off and I thought `what do they know that I don't'. 

You know, I just completed spaced out on the even day thing. I looked back, and I got to Wakamotoharu and stopped, when Endo was right there. (Hitthewall...) I think I was too distracted with puzzling out the sanyaku bouts and any special wrinkles of senshuraku that I forgot that 8 was even. Let's just call it an isamiashi.

Edited by Reonito

1 hour ago, Sakura said:

I spent over an hour trying to figure out why everyone was on Wakamotoharu, and then I realized, oh wait, they sometimes start doing record matchups now, right? Then Wakamotoharu made perfect sense.

And then it was wrong.

(Hitthewall...)

9 hours ago, Jejima said:

My guess is that they are worried that one or both of these crowd pleasers might want to pull out soon, so get this match in before that happens. Winner stays on....?

I don't think Ichinojo would have any reason to pull out; he's fighting like hot garbage but he doesn't look hurt, per se. Theoretically maybe they could see it as a way to best ensure Teru maintains a winning record (and thus is inclined to continue), but I'm trying to shy away from that just because it starts leaning into conspiracy theories.

Alright, 9. Wakamotoharu.

I think, in retrospect, yesterday's was trickier than it seemed because it does look like they shifted some matchups based on outlier records—Tamawashi (6-0 at the time) should have pulled Takarafuji (0-6), but got Sadanoumi (3-3) instead, shifting Takarafuji to a match with Onosho (2-4).

Then again, if my sanyaku matchups are right (they haven't been the whole basho, but I've at least managed to mostly get the right people in that group), Wakamotoharu was already set to face Hokutofuji on day 9, so they didn't really need to move it up.

Then again, middle Sunday big match star power.

So I'm still kinda miffed at myself, but not as much.

Grr, Endo was my second choice. I had at first thought Endo for an even-day thing, but after I checked previous basho for Day 8 results, sometimes the pattern fit and sometimes it didn't, so I figured Wakamotoharu was more likely. But I got the sanyaku wrong again, so still learning the intricacies of the committee's choices this basho.

Day 9 - Sadanoumi

9. Wakamotoharu.

I've looked at a bunch of scenarios, and the ones in which he isn't available, neither is Sadanoumi. My backup guess would probably be Oho.

Breaking news: One Yokozuna dropped!

Reonito (YOe) 8-1
Sakura (YOw) 8-1
Gurowake (Y1e) 7-2
Jakusotsu (S1w) 7-2
Hakuhonofan (K1e) 7-2
Sumo Spiffy (M1e) 7-2
Oshirokita (S1e) 6-3
WAKATAKE (M2w) 6-1-2
shimodahito (M3e) 6-1-2
Profomisakari (K1w) 5-4
Seiyashi (M1w) 5-4
Jejima (M3w) 3-6
The Kyokai (M4e) 1-8
Chartorenji (M2e) 0-0-9
Ryoshishokunin (M4w) 0-0-9

Hokutofuji's aites: 1. Tochinoshin(Myogiryu), 2. Myogiryu(Onosho), 3. Aoiyama, 4. Tochinoshin, 5. Kotoeko, 6. Nishikifuji, 7. Takanosho, 8. Endo, 9. Wakamotoharu