Sign in to follow this  
Jejima

Guess Hokutofuji's Aite - September 2022 edition

On 08/09/2022 at 05:05, Gurowake said:
On 07/09/2022 at 08:19, Jakusotsu said:

Too bad we've fallen out of the joi this time. It would have been refreshing with three Sanyaku bouts each day (...barring Covid).

There's still a reasonable chance each day that the choices for intrasanyaku bouts have a knock-on effect as to how to prepare the rest of the torikumi, so I don't think we're really missing out a ton.

And right you were! Unlike our Yokozunae, most low-rankers arrived at the wrong solution for the puzzle. Unfortunately, shimodahito fell from the leading group by coming too late.

Gurowake (Y1e) 5-0
Reonito (YOe) 5-0
Sakura (YOw) 5-0
Oshirokita (S1e) 4-1
Jakusotsu (S1w) 4-1
Hakuhonofan (K1e) 4-1
Sumo Spiffy (M1e) 4-1
WAKATAKE (M2w) 4-0-1
shimodahito (M3e) 4-0-1
Profomisakari (K1w) 3-2
Seiyashi (M1w) 3-2
Jejima (M3w) 2-3
Chartorenji (M2e) 0-0-5
Ryoshishokunin (M4w) 0-0-5
The Kyokai (M4e) 0-5

Hokutofuji's aites: 1. Tochinoshin(Myogiryu), 2. Myogiryu(Onosho), 3. Aoiyama, 4. Tochinoshin, 5. Kotoeko

12 hours ago, Reonito said:

I see how one lands on Takanosho, but for me more paths lead to

5. Kotoeko

I just couldn't figure out why day 5 would be the day they pull Ura into a sanyaku matchup.

At a glance, I still can't. I'm so used to seeing M1s get all their sanyaku matchups done with sometimes no breaks that I'm still trying to work out when and why they get shifted to a maegashira opponent for a day before finishing the run.

Edit: OK, it seems to maybe have to do with the fact I expected them to do the last set of S-K matchups rather than go with S-S and K-K. But I still don't know why they did that.

Edit 2: I'm so stupid. Don't they basically always give maegashira rikishi an ozeki (or at least sanyaku) matchup before they have their yokozuna fight?

Edit 3: Maybe not. I have no idea. whyyyyyyyy

Edited by Sumo Spiffy

2 hours ago, Sumo Spiffy said:

I just couldn't figure out why day 5 would be the day they pull Ura into a sanyaku matchup.

At a glance, I still can't. I'm so used to seeing M1s get all their sanyaku matchups done with sometimes no breaks that I'm still trying to work out when and why they get shifted to a maegashira opponent for a day before finishing the run.

Edit: OK, it seems to maybe have to do with the fact I expected them to do the last set of S-K matchups rather than go with S-S and K-K. But I still don't know why they did that.

Edit 2: I'm so stupid. Don't they basically always give maegashira rikishi an ozeki (or at least sanyaku) matchup before they have their yokozuna fight?

Generally, the first thing that's decided are the intrasanyaku matches.  Everything else flows from there.  Only in yusho race situations will they first give yusho contenders matches, and even then they weigh it against the desire to have the expected intrasanyaku matches.  I wouldn't look for any patterns at all in how maegashira are given matches - it's all a flow from how the sanyaku shakes out, and with different heya matchup exclusions each basho, you're very rarely going to get the same thing twice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sumo Spiffy said:

Whom else was Mitakeumi going to fight?

Day 6 - Nishikifuji

Day 6 is my biggest question mark as for how they do the intra-sanyaku matches this basho. If I guessed correctly, then I think my pattern is good; if I guessed wrong, then I will need more practice with logic puzzles...

5 hours ago, Reonito said:

Whom else was Mitakeumi going to fight?

It could have been someone else if Tobizaru was allowed to fight Shodai twice, like I somehow had when I went to look it over again. So. Yeah.

Also, 6. Nishikifuji, since I forgot before and I didn't make any really terrible mistakes this time. I think.

• Haha 1

People finally get the hang of the even-day-puzzle, yay!

Gurowake (Y1e) 6-0
Reonito (YOe) 6-0
Sakura (YOw) 6-0
Oshirokita (S1e) 5-1
Jakusotsu (S1w) 5-1
Hakuhonofan (K1e) 5-1
Sumo Spiffy (M1e) 5-1
shimodahito (M3e) 5-0-1
Profomisakari (K1w) 4-2
Seiyashi (M1w) 4-2
WAKATAKE (M2w) 4-1-1
Jejima (M3w) 3-3
Chartorenji (M2e) 0-0-6
Ryoshishokunin (M4w) 0-0-6
The Kyokai (M4e) 0-6

Hokutofuji's aites: 1. Tochinoshin(Myogiryu), 2. Myogiryu(Onosho), 3. Aoiyama, 4. Tochinoshin, 5. Kotoeko, 6. Nishikifuji

9 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

People finally get the hang of the even-day-puzzle, yay!

On my part it's actually just luck.  I had the wrong sanyaku matches, but it's possible that other people had the right ones because they didn't foresee the corner that they've painted themselves into with their choices for Day 6.  If they follow their normal pattern with having a top 4 round robin the last 3 days, they won't have 3 matches available to schedule on both Days 13 and 14, since there are only 2 more matches available that don't involve someone in the top 4, and they would need 1 match for each of the last 3 days that doesn't involve someone in the top 4.  They'd have to move up to Day 9 when they start having 3 matches per day, and then go back to 2 matches per day for day 13 or 14.  They could also break the top 4 round robin to free two of the Ozeki up one of those days.  It's certainly possible to do such things, but it's highly unusual.  Combined with the Tomokaze issue, my guess is they have someone new doing the torikumi that understands the basics but not all the intricacies.

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 2

Well, in my draft both variations of M8-M10 bouts were still possible, and I'm quite proud I didn't choose the obvious one for "normal" days. B-)

2 hours ago, Gurowake said:

On my part it's actually just luck.  I had the wrong sanyaku matches, 

Me too. I saw two reasonable sets of intra-sanyaku bouts that both led to Nishikifuji as the opponent. When I saw the sanyaku pairings today I thought `oops! that's going to cause them a problem'. 

4 hours ago, Gurowake said:

They'd have to move up to Day 9 when they start having 3 matches per day, and then go back to 2 matches per day for day 13 or 14.

With 36 intra-sanyaku fights, wouldn't they shift to three per day on day 10? Or are you saying that because of this issue, they'll have to shift to having three on day 9, then go back to two for a later day?

28 minutes ago, Sumo Spiffy said:

With 36 intra-sanyaku fights, wouldn't they shift to three per day on day 10? Or are you saying that because of this issue, they'll have to shift to having three on day 9, then go back to two for a later day?

The latter (if they wish to keep the final-four round robin). They could also start the three-per-day on Day 10 and break up the round-robin. Anyone's guess at this point, which is the name of the game ;-)

7. Takanosho

• Thanks 1

7. Takanosho

Edit: I'm taking the cue from y'all and trying different sets of matchups. Seems nice when they work out to the same answer, but I dunno what I'll do if they end up on different ones at some point.

Edited by Sumo Spiffy