Kaninoyama

Kaisei Intai

He must be the first person in a very long while to be smiling at his intai conference. Just shows the lovable spirit of the man. 

Edited by Seiyashi

Thanks for the intai photos! Lovely to see sincere smiles all around! Seems like Kaisei really is the type of person who makes everyone around him feel good. Hope that positive energy will carry on to all the young rikishi he will be instructing. 

On 30/08/2022 at 09:54, themistyseas said:

Edited to add: worth pointing out as well that the Wikipedia page (at least in English) is a little lax on the updates as well: it's also missing another couple of borrowers (Izutsu and Sanoyama) and three of the sanyo haven't been relocated from their previous positions in the kyokai. So as ever, worth taking the crowd-sourced content with a few grains of dohyo salt (not unlike a message board? Haha!)

I thought Sanoyama was an owner. And who is Izutsu borrowing from? Sakahoko's estate? Kakuryu? 

44 minutes ago, ryafuji said:

I thought Sanoyama was an owner. And who is Izutsu borrowing from? Sakahoko's estate? Kakuryu? 

Re Sanoyama: not according to his listing order.

Izutsu is now presumably owned by Shimanoumi, who's married ex-Sakahoko's daughter.

On 30/08/2022 at 13:47, Asashosakari said:

It could also just be an error on the Kyokai site. They rushed the update adding him to the oyakata overview page, but he's not yet on the duties page which I tend to consider more authoritative.

The duties page has been updated.  He is listed now among the owners - before the borrowing section.

https://www.sumo.or.jp/IrohaKyokai/rijikai/

Another issue:  I recall reading somewhere that a retiring Oyakata (or his heirs) have three-years to designate a successor/new owner - else ownership reverts to the kyokai (see Furiwake and Sanoyama).  I am not sure where I recall reading that - but if it is a rule - then we should have some indication about ownership of Izutsu share in the next few weeks as we are approaching the third anniversary of his passing.  Of course, I think it is clear what Izutsu's heirs intend for this share given the recent wedding and Shimanoumi's clinching of a 28th basho as a sekitori in Aki. We may end up seeing Shimanoumi listed as owner (similar to Endō and Okinoumi are listed here: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/現役年寄一覧). Of course, additional clarity on the disposition of Izutsu would lead one to further wonder what share (if any) Toyonoshima and Kakuryū may be seeking to acquire.

• Thanks 1

Funny moment when my mother suddenly crossed the room see me watching Kaisei vs Ichinojo on May 2018.

She said, “Good Lord, those bosoms are going everywhere!”

• Haha 5

The NSK posted 2 videos today - The intai press conference

career overview

• Like 3

On 29/08/2022 at 22:00, Benevolance said:

Aw, man. We'd better hide this news before Bettega shows up. We'll say that Kaisei is, uh, napping! Yeah. He's just napping. 

:-P

I've been following the news since the results from last basho. I also have Kaisei's aunt in my Facebook. It's sad, but expected for some bashos :-( I started watching sumo when he gets his Makuuchi debut in... 2011 (!!). Since then I posted a lot of "noob" questions and now I'm still watching and reading the forums, but posting less and enjoying sumo more now that I "learned" it a little more.

Now we go ahead with his oyakata life. He seems to be universally liked, I'm glad for that!

Pode ser uma imagem de 2 pessoas

• Like 6

With Okinoumi’s retirement ceremony already announced, I’m surprised Kaisei hasn’t announced anything if he planned to make a public retirement ceremony.

Will he make like Shohozan and just have a closed ceremony with the koenkai and acquaintances?

2 hours ago, Kaitetsu said:

With Okinoumi’s retirement ceremony already announced, I’m surprised Kaisei hasn’t announced anything if he planned to make a public retirement ceremony.

Will he make like Shohozan and just have a closed ceremony with the koenkai and acquaintances?

Unlike Shohozani, Kaisei is a full fledged oyakata, not on borrowed myoseki,  he definitely will have an intai-zumo full event.

Edited by Akinomaki

1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

Unlike Shohozan and Okinoumi, Kaisei is a full fledged oyakata, not on borrowed myoseki,  he definitely will have an intai-zumo full event.

Hmm, makes sense, I didn't think about it that way, I was focusing too much on past highest rank, thanks!

1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

Unlike Shohozan and Okinoumi, Kaisei is a full fledged oyakata, not on borrowed myoseki,

Sorry, I'm lost.  Okinoumi is listed in the db as owning the Kimigahama kabu since 2013; we even made some jokes about how laid back he was during jungyo, etc. because he knew he had an offramp after retirement. 

33 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

Sorry, I'm lost.  Okinoumi is listed in the db as owning the Kimigahama kabu since 2013; we even made some jokes about how laid back he was during jungyo, etc. because he knew he had an offramp after retirement. 

You're right of course, only Shohozan left the NSK - I mixed up Okinoumi with Yutakayama I guess - Okinoumi is having the full event as well

Edited by Akinomaki

19 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

You're right of course, only Shohozan left the NSK - I mixed up Okinoumi with Yutakayama I guess - Okinoumi is having the full event as well

I think its just how quickly Okinoumi will have his, while Kaisei is apparently gonna take more than a year?

51 minutes ago, Kaitetsu said:

I think its just how quickly Okinoumi will have his, while Kaisei is apparently gonna take more than a year?

Well, again, Okinoumi has known fro 10 years he would have a kabu, and he had been preparing for intai for at least three months according to accounts.  Kaisei's story seems convoluted, but posters on this forum seemed to point to him taking the double-switch Tomozuna label as soon as ex-Kaiki reached final retirement.

Note: Kaisei must have Japanese citizenship; will he be able to keep his current name? (Ricardo Sugano appears to be half-Japanese anyway)

2 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

Well, again, Okinoumi has known fro 10 years he would have a kabu, and he had been preparing for intai for at least three months according to accounts.  Kaisei's story seems convoluted, but posters on this forum seemed to point to him taking the double-switch Tomozuna label as soon as ex-Kaiki reached final retirement.

Note: Kaisei must have Japanese citizenship; will he be able to keep his current name? (Ricardo Sugano appears to be half-Japanese anyway)

He has japanese citizenship for many years now, theres a photo of him holding the papers for the application and Sugano is a japanese surname, another reading for Kanno. And tbh i can see he just being still legally called Rikarudo as his first name.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

I think the rule on having a full Japanese name has been somewhat abrogated in recent years if it was even a rule in the first place. Exhibit A: Kakuryū, whose Japanese legal name is his transliterated Mongolian name. 

• Like 1

Just now, Seiyashi said:

I think the rule on having a full Japanese name has been somewhat abrogated in recent years if it was even a rule in the first place. Exhibit A: Kakuryū, whose Japanese legal name is his transliterated Mongolian name. 

I think it might have been a hard-and-fast rule in the past, based upon some acquaintances of mine.  Also, I remember seeing one of those NHK World shows where a foreigner living in Japan shows you food cultures or travel ideas, etc., etc.  One show featured a Swedish cyclist who had become a citizen and had a name which looked more Japanese than any I've ever seen!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bettega said:
Tomozuna oyakata aka Kaisei has transferred as coach to Asakayama Beya

I recommend the Kabu thread for these updates (almost) first hand!

On 03/06/2023 at 12:38, Akinomaki said:

Tomozuna (Kaisei) changed from Oshima to his ani-deshi Kaio's Asakayama-beya as of today http://www.sanspo.com/article/20230603-IZHZJEJ3NNIKFGZ2CSYK3V7NTY/

• Thanks 1

In the most recent Asakayama-beya instagram post, I’m pretty sure they announced that Kaisei’s danpatsu shiki will be held on October 1st.

Because I used the translate function I don’t know if they mentioned a venue for it.

52 minutes ago, Kaitetsu said:

In the most recent Asakayama-beya instagram post, I’m pretty sure they announced that Kaisei’s danpatsu shiki will be held on October 1st.

Because I used the translate function I don’t know if they mentioned a venue for it.

October 1st at the Kokugikan, according to ex-Kaisei.

• Thanks 1