Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Preparations of the masses- Aki 2022

Quick roundup from the last few days:

August 19th- Takayasu went to Tatsunami for degeiko. "My new son was born last night. It's a boy (Mrs. Walker), it's a boy. I want to do genki sumo and show him some good stuff," he said. He faced Houshouryuu and Meisei for some bouts and was 11-4. "His sumo is young and he can do anything he pleases.. I can benefit from facing these kind of guys," he said about Houshouryuu.  He is 32 and getting on but says he still feels he is young and has much to offer.

August 21st- Wakatakakage faced Hokutofuji and Nishikigi who came to visit and was 9-5 against them."I'd like to slowly up the keiko pace from this point on and properly face the basho. Ozeki? I can only properly prepare myself and properly do my own kind of sumo. I'll be coming from down under.." he said.

Nishikigi came to Arashio beya to train, after training at Tokitsukaze the last few days. "If I don't mount the dohyo, I cannot become strong. I'm aiming to do good keiko, " he said. Last basho he was forced to leave the basho towards the end because of the COVID outbreak at his heya. It was the first time he was away from the dohyo since he entered sumo in 2006. "I was thinking to myself- Spare time, huh? Spare time in the middle of the basho?? Strange feeling..I really wanted to finish the basho, although I already had my kachikoshi. And I wasn't even sick at all.. I'm glad to be back in the joi next basho. I made it up the ranks before, then I dropped down to Juryo- it's been about five years since I was at the top ranks (3 years, but who's counting..). I'm glad to be back.." he said.

Ounoshou visited  Arashio beya as well. facing  Wakatakakage and others and going 6-4. "I think I was able to face the others well. The speed here is different than at the heya (where he has no sekitori  to train with..). It's fun, going for degeiko. After my wedding? I'm calmer-we are so very much alike, my wife and myself. It's really great to have someone to come home to," he said. 

Hokutofuji was at the same Arashio session, and he also went to Tokitsukaze for the last few days and faced Shoudai there. Today, he faced Wakatakakage and others. "It's important to face other sekitori. I plan on gradually building my body till the start of the basho," he said. He showed virus symptoms on the final a day and felt sluggish and had a runny nose and later lost 8 kilos. "I'm still not totally over it,  but if I train well I will slowly get stronger. There are rikishi who died from the virus. It's scary. I was battling my fears as well. i will do my bets to avoid injury and will concentrate to be able to win," he summed. "

August 22nd:Cup holder Ichinojou visited Tamanoi beya facing Juryo Azumaryuu and Touhakuryuu for 19 bouts, going 13-6. "First i need to get my kachikoshi, otherwise it was all for nothing. Kachikoshi, double digit wins-  I guess that's the target. A lot of Makushita guys here, so I was practicing grabbing the front of the mawashi. I'm always facing the larger guys and have problems with opponents that move to the side.. It was good keiko. The yusho? That's behind us, and i will be taking the good points from last basho and will be properly concentrating on my sumo and training. This basho, my opponents will probably be thinking more on how to face me, after I got  the yusho. I already mostly know what I need to do. If I can channel this confidence I shouldn't regret anything.." he said.

August 23rd::  Asanoyama trained at home today. "I don't have the courage to visit my hometown yet.. I was always encouraged by my local supporters when i was ranked at the top. I will do all I can to show them my best again, and then I hope to return to the top.." he said. Today he faced visitors from Miyagino- Enhou and Hokuseihou and Oushouma from Naruto and went 15-4. He overpowered the last two and had some problems with Enhou. Miyagino Oyakata (ex-Hakuhou) was there. They were seen conversing. "You can tell that he has something special. When I told people I was going to see Asanoyama they all asked me to pass on to him to gambarize, and that I did,' he said. "Today I had large, medium and small rikishi to face, so the keiko was good. Ex-Hakuohu''s presence had me stressed after not feeling that way for a while.. When we went on jungyo, he was always around , and it was the same feeling I felt back then. I'm happy he said good things about me," said Asanoyama. "The Sandanme yusho is only a starting point on my journey back. I wasn't congratulated by many fans after the basho so i want to continue with this feeling of still having a lot to do. I lost some weight, but I'm around 170 kilos and hope to remain at 173 kilos. My body is moving well.  No use in adding extra weight," he added. "I'll be in Makushita next, but I'll be going about it as if I'm ranked at joi - going all out and gambarizing," he summed.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 6

Takayasu went to Isegahama beya where he faced Nishikifuji, Midorifuji, Atamifuji and a Terunofuji as well. 13-10. At the end ' he even borrowed Terunofuji's chest for butsugari."It's a spirited keiko-ba. Starting with the Oyakatas, everybody was very helpful and giving guidance and there really was a great environment. I was totally energized!" he said. I-the heya brought bavk memories. "When I was just starting out I trained here a lot when it was still Ajigawa beya. I have fond memories of that. When Kisenosato and Ama (Harumafuji) were still in Maegashira, they used to go at it fiercely.*    I was able to watch that when I was a young rikishi. I was still under-Makushita then. Isegahama Oyakata was kind enough to shout advice at me during keiko- It made me resolve to gambarize. I remember that well," he divulged.

*Wasn't Kisenosato famously not allowed to go for degeiko at all, or was this after the demise of the former Naruto oyakata?

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Fingers crossed this is Takayasu's breakout basho , he's working hard, now let's see some results.

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Takayasu went to Isegahama beya where he faced Nishikifuji, Midorifuji, Atamifuji and a Terunofuji as well. 13-10. At the end ' he even borrowed Terunofuji's chest for butsugari."It's a spirited keiko-ba. Starting with the Oyakatas, everybody was very helpful and giving guidance and there really was a great environment. I was totally energized!" he said. I-the heya brought bavk memories. "When I was just starting out I trained here a lot when it was still Ajigawa beya. I have fond memories of that. When Kisenosato and Ama (Harumafuji) were still in Maegashira, they used to go at it fiercely.*    I was able to watch that when I was a young rikishi. I was still under-Makushita then. Isegahama Oyakata was kind enough to shout advice at me during keiko- It made me resolve to gambarize. I remember that well," he divulged.

*Wasn't Kisenosato famously not allowed to go for degeiko at all, or was this after the demise of the former Naruto oyakata?

The timelines don't match. Naruto died in 2011, but Ajigawa was renamed in 2007. Takayasu entered in 2005, so this either refers to the period of Kisenosato's early maegashira career, and Naruto must have allowed degeiko by then, or Takayasu has mixed dates and times up. 

4 hours ago, Fashiritētā said:

Fingers crossed this is Takayasu's breakout basho , he's working hard, now let's see some results.

Fingers crossed that Takayasu makes it to Day 1 without succumbing again to Covid. 

8 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Maybe only under Naruto oyakata’s decision and Isegahama oyakata was his contemporary. 

16 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

Fingers crossed that Takayasu makes it to Day 1 without succumbing again to Covid. 

We have to be careful with the finger crossing,  too many and superstition creeps in, of course I just stepped on a sidewalk crack, so I ruined that, seriously I really hope this is Takayasu's Basho, he's had enough bad luck.

• Like 1

On 23/08/2022 at 14:47, Kintamayama said:

August 19th- Takayasu went to Tatsunami for degeiko. "My new son was born last night. It's a boy (Mrs. Walker), it's a boy. I want to do genki sumo and show him some good stuff," he said. He faced Houshouryuu and Meisei for some bouts and was 11-4. "His sumo is young and he can do anything he pleases.. I can benefit from facing these kind of guys," he said about Houshouryuu.  He is 32 and getting on but says he still feels he is young and has much to offer.

It was always clear you knew The How, Moti, so it's nice to see you know The Who too.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ScreechingOwl said:

It was always clear you knew The How, Moti, so it's nice to see you know The Who too.

All part of my job,  but I'm glad someone caught on.. 

• Like 2

On 26/08/2022 at 09:49, Kaninoyama said:

Finishes the basho without absence

On 27/08/2022 at 01:49, Kintamayama said:

All part of my job,  but I'm glad someone caught on.. 

Well, I googled it, and it turned to be a quite short song, with a quite direct message xD

32 minutes ago, Seregost said:

Well, I googled it, and it turned to be a quite short song, with a quite direct message xD

It's part of a rock opera-the first song- it's connected to the musical overture, hence as a song, quite short.

Not to be confused with "I'm a Boy" by the same artist, which leads to a very interesting discussion of the gender roles of children.

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 2

Sekiwakatakakage trained at home today. 16 bouts against brother and Koutokuzan, going 15-1 (8-0 against Wakamotoharu). 4th straight sekiwake basho, aiming for Ozeki, this basho should be a good start for a run bla bla bla. "I guess I screwed up in the early stages of last basho (went 8-7 in the end).  Some voices around me are expecting an Ozeki promotion so I need to do my best to fulfill their expectations and it would be good if I could go all out with that in mind," he said, again. A few days back, Terunofuji came to train at his heya "I dunno, 5-6 bouts, I guess. It was a fantastic opportunity for me, being able to do some sumo with the Yokozuna as well as receiving some words of advice from him. What were they? All kinds of stuff.." he added cryptically. Then the interview rides the beaten "I want to gambarize and will do my own sumo and give it my all " path, fading into the sunset.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

Iron man Tamawashi trained at home today. First, he did 6 matches, then he called for one Jonokuchi guy and one Jonidan guy and faced them both at once for 15 vigorous consecutive bouts. "You need to face your pain and your difficulties!" shouted his Oyakata. It was no easy task taking on two at once, even for a rikishi with yusho experience like Tamawashi. "I can't take this lightly, otherwise I'll get injured.. I need my body to remember what to do. I'm not such a genius. I don't want to be thinking too much, I just need to go with the natural flow." he said. Last basho, he was forced to go kyujo due to COVID at his heya, for the first time in his long career. "I just took it easy and rested.. I couldn't watch senshuraku- I felt left behind.." he said. He says he didn't take to heart the fact that his perfect attendance record was stopped (it was later decided his kyujo will not count). "Then I heard that a lot of people were discussing this and voicing their concern. It made me very happy that many people were more concerned about me than i was.." he added..If he makes it to day 9 next basho, he will be tied for 3rd place all time in consecutive bouts. "I just have to properly go about it," he summed.

202209020000449-w500_0.jpg

202209020000449-w500_8.jpg

202209020000449-w500_7.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

he called for one Jonokuchi guy and one Jonidan guy and faced them both at once for 15 vigorous consecutive bouts

I would absolutely pay money to an NSK subscription service (or Hiro Morita's new thing) to watch some version of this between basho

Tamashoho's obviously too good to be involved in this, which is in some ways a shame as otherwise Tamawashi vs the rest of the heya would be a great YouTube series in its own right

Loser has to bake the cakes for the winner

• Like 2

There should be a forced kyujo status, for rikishi the kyokai makes sit out involuntarily. Too bad his impressive streak had to end like that. It's just a nitnoid detail kind of thing, but isn't that what sumo is all about?

3 hours ago, Churaumi said:

There should be a forced kyujo status, for rikishi the kyokai makes sit out involuntarily. Too bad his impressive streak had to end like that. It's just a nitnoid detail kind of thing, but isn't that what sumo is all about?

It didn’t end. Officially.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

It didn’t end. Officially.

Yeah, still don't really get how that is supposed to work. They're just pretending the fusen doesn't exist? 

18 hours ago, ryafuji said:

Yeah, still don't really get how that is supposed to work. They're just pretending the fusen doesn't exist? 

That's my understanding. They will simply keep adding to his run in terms of the record. Think of the record as being consecutively showing up for matches in which you would be allowed to participate. Any injured rikishi is welcome to participate in all of their matches, but is choosing not to. Tamawashi was not allowed to participate in the matches in question by the powers that be, and so they aren't relevant to his streak. 

Edited by Tochinofuji
Typos
  • Like 5

That's good. As weird ad the last couple years have been I'd say the Kyokai doing the right thing this time is pleasantly surprising.

• Like 2

Houshouryuu trained at home today. 5-6 against Meisei and others (2-6 against Meisei..). Per suggestion of his former teacher, he has taken videos of his bouts and is planning to learn from them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2