Kintamayama

Hakuhou is now Miyagino

Posted (edited)

Official- ex-Hakuhou is taking over Miyagino beya, effective today. The two Oyakatas have switched names today as well. Merits its own thread.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Merits its own thread.

I agree. 

Apart from the obvious lack of an ichidai-toshiyori offer, this reminds me of Chiyonofuji's Jinmaku>Kokonoe career path.

There's news elsewhere on the forum that the new Miyagino-san has recruited college yokozuna Kawazoe, as well as indications that he's secured Tottori Johoku highschool as a pipeline. 
There's a generation of kids grown up watching him dominate sumo, so I'm wondering it Tottori Johoku will start to become noticeably stronger than, say, Saitama Sakai because the kids who want to become rikishi would rather end up at Miyagino-beya than Sadogatake. I'm fairly certain Kokonoe-beya continued to be such a force because of the kids who grew up watching Chiyonofuji.

Anyhow, things seem to be progressing quietly, conventionally and without controversy. @Kintamayama You still think he'll be gone in a couple of years?

2 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Anyhow, things seem to be progressing quietly, conventionally and without controversy. @Kintamayama You still think he'll be gone in a couple of years?

Yes, I do. with a heya now, he will be feeling more confident to do things his way. See Takanohana..

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

kids who grew up watching Chiyonofuji

You mean, parents who grew up watching Chiyonofuji as kids?  Anyone that could have watched him as a kid is too old to get into sumo, but they might be old enough to direct where their kids go. 

Edited by Gurowake

2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Yes, I do. with a heya now, he will be feeling more confident to do things his way. See Takanohana..

Me think he might form a tag team with Kisenisato to revolutionise heya operations and sumo training. 
They can’t criticise Hakuho and praise Kisenosato if they do almost the same things.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

I agree. 

Apart from the obvious lack of an ichidai-toshiyori offer, this reminds me of Chiyonofuji's Jinmaku>Kokonoe career path.

There's news elsewhere on the forum that the new Miyagino-san has recruited college yokozuna Kawazoe, as well as indications that he's secured Tottori Johoku highschool as a pipeline. 
There's a generation of kids grown up watching him dominate sumo, so I'm wondering it Tottori Johoku will start to become noticeably stronger than, say, Saitama Sakai because the kids who want to become rikishi would rather end up at Miyagino-beya than Sadogatake. I'm fairly certain Kokonoe-beya continued to be such a force because of the kids who grew up watching Chiyonofuji.

If Terunofuji becomes head of his own heya, will there be a bidding war between him and Miyagino?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gurowake said:

You mean, parents who grew up watching Chiyonofuji as kids?  Anyone that could have watched him as a kid is too old to get into sumo, but they might be old enough to direct where their kids go. 

I meant the guys moto-Chiyonofuji recruited (e.g. Chiyotaikai), but I guess you're right that parents would've had more influence on Kokonoe rikishi who are currently active.

Edited by RabidJohn
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

See Takanohana..

I've no doubt Miyagino-san saw it all, possibly more than any of us. 

Hakuho was the GOAT and he pushed the boundaries of acceptable behaviour, but when it came to training he claimed his success was all down to sumo basics. If he's training his deshi like that then he's a very traditional oyakata.

Takanofujihana was a dai-yokozuna scion of a sumo dynasty and probably believed he had a destiny to be a mover and shaker in the NSK...

Chalk and cheese, mate.

If you want more:
Takanohana handed an ichidai-toshiyori upon intai as yokozuna;
Hakuho made to sign a contract promising to behave himself.

Edited by RabidJohn
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

I've no doubt Miyagino-san saw it all, possibly more than any of us. 

Hakuho was the GOAT and he pushed the boundaries of acceptable behaviour, but when it came to training he claimed his success was all down to sumo basics. If he's training his deshi like that then he's a very traditional oyakata.

Takanofuji was a dai-yokozuna scion of a sumo dynasty and probably believed he had a destiny to be a mover and shaker in the NSK...

Chalk and cheese, mate.

As we say- we shall see..

13 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

Takanohana handed an ichidai-toshiyori upon intai as yokozuna;
Hakuho made to sign a contract promising to behave himself.

Exactly. 

2 hours ago, rhyen said:

They can’t criticise Hakuho and praise Kisenosato if they do almost the same things.

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA, made my day (Laughing...)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, rhyen said:

Me think he might form a tag team with Kisenisato to revolutionise heya operations and sumo training. 

Uh... Yes they can.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

There's a generation of kids grown up watching him dominate sumo, so I'm wondering it Tottori Johoku will start to become noticeably stronger than, say, Saitama Sakai because the kids who want to become rikishi would rather end up at Miyagino-beya than Sadogatake.

That sounds like putting the cart before the horse (from the kids' point of view), and I also doubt that either Ishiura senior or Ishiura junior would be recruiting for the school with a "how will Hakuho like this kid in three/seven years" mindset to begin with. It's not like Hakuho would refuse talented applicants from other schools anyway.

I'm fairly certain Kokonoe-beya continued to be such a force because of the kids who grew up watching Chiyonofuji.

Kokonoe-beya wasn't exactly brimming with talent that actually might have grown up watching Chiyonofuji (link). That's only five people who made juryo from the appropriate age groups, including two who just had the proverbial cup of coffee, and they were recruited in the 1980s anyway, so it wasn't Chiyonofuji-as-shisho that drove their decision. And of the other three one more's another 80s recruit (although Tomoefuji apparently was in fact a Chiyonofuji uchideshi, as was Chiyotenzan later on), and Chiyotaikai had little to no interest in sumo growing up; his ja.wiki profile states that he knew who Chiyonofuji was by name, but not much else about either him or Ozumo as a whole.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A great note is that it seems like the response to this news in the Japanese sumo SMS fan groups is almost entirely positive.

The support is maybe already on par with the Hakuho/Asashoryu era.

Posted (edited)

All considered, Tottori Johoku has undoubtedly been the top high school team over the last 4 years. Saitama Sakae hasn't even won a national team title since the Kitanowaka days back in 2018. Kanazawa Gakuin (high school of Enho, Endo, Daishomaru, and others) probably ranks over Saitama Sakae during this period, maybe even Hiryu High (Midorifuji, Atamifuji) too.

Not sure if this is a sign of a longer term shift though, as even the best schools go through some lulls, but right now SS isn't as redoubtable as it once was.

Edited by Katooshu

I meant the guys moto-Chiyonofuji recruited (e.g. Chiyotaikai), but I guess you're right that parents would've had more influence on Kokonoe rikishi who are currently active.

From the database (nothing missed, I hope):

Chiyonofuji retired in 1992 and ran Kokone until ~2016.  Chiyotaikai (O, b. 1976), Hokutoriki (S, b. 1977), and Chiyohakuho (M, b. 1983) were sekitori who could have seen Chiyonofuji while he was active. 

During his stint as Oyakata, Chiyonofuji brought in 2 future Komosubi, 4 Maegashira and 3 Juryo; most of these are still active and all were born between 1988 and 1993, so their parents would have been around for Chiyonofuji's Yokozuna career.

Did his name bring in more aspirants?  Incoming numbers for Kokonoe were 6 (1989), 6 (1990), 3 (1991), 16 (1992), 19 (1993), 8 (1994), 6 (1995) [so probably, at first].

Whether anyone had any influence on anyone else, I leave to others (see above).

He'll be a by-the-book, orthodox oyakata. It'll be Kisenosato who'll be causin all the trouble with his "new ideas".

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I hope you're wrong, but I fear you may be right. What he has going for him (as others alluded to) is that he would know/expect to be up against it and has been his whole career to some degree.

11 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I'm being a little more cautious, wait-and-see; it may take a few years for the plot to emerge.  Here's the key: if Hakuho's son gets serious about joining Ozumo, everything's fine; if he gets the urge to design shoes, watch out ...

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

Here's the key: if Hakuho's son gets serious about joining Ozumo, everything's fine; if he gets the urge to design shoes, watch out ...

Maybe it's Hakuhō's son growing up with funny ideas we should be worried about, not Hakuhō himself. 

Jokes aside, I can only hope the Hakuhō household is a happy one. On hindsight, the mess that the Hanada family was behind the scenes couldn't have helped the mental states of the players, whether the mess was the cause of the egos or the result.

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 1

Magaki Oyakata is staying on with the Kyokai, I found out today. It may be obvious but I had not seen it written anywhere till today.

• Thanks 2

When you have the old guard like Hakkaku, Shibatayama and Isegahama on the sanyo circuit, then we'll see how things move when Miyagino and Nishonoseki start moving up the kyokai ladder

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WAKATAKE said:

When you have the old guard like Hakkaku, Shibatayama and Isegahama on the sanyo circuit, then we'll see how things move when Nishonoseki starts moving up the kyokai ladder

I made a slight change to your statement. ;-)

Considering how well he's already done with the vertically-challenged Ishiura and Enho, and the effect his 'having a talk' with Shodai appears to have had during the Nagoya basho just past, I can't wait to see Miyagino recruit someone with size and talent.

Posted (edited)

Considering how well he's already done with the vertically-challenged Ishiura and Enho, and the effect his 'having a talk' with Shodai appears to have had during the Nagoya basho just past, I can't wait to see Miyagino recruit someone with size and talent.

I hope Hokuseiho doesn't read this thread or else he'll be bugged by the implication he's got no talent.

Edited by Koorifuu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3