Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Juryo promotions for Aki 2022

11 hours ago, Reonito said:
11 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Not getting to juryo with back-to-back 4-3's in the top 5 ranks is on the unlucky side, though.

It's not 50:50 but it's pretty common. Now Tochimaru doing it back-to-back-to-back, on the other hand...

Plus with baited expectations too - remember the whole is-he-promoted-isn't-he debacle with the media interviews?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dingo said:

Likewise, I didn't mean to stir up any trouble or bad feelings. Just genuinely surprised to see Kinbozan referred to as Eastern European. 

The same Wikipedia article mentions that about 4% of Kazakhstan's territory lies in Europe. With the remaining 96% being smack in the middle of Central Asia, wouldn't it be more accurate to describe Kinbozan as Central Asian? 

Agree, he looks Central Asian rather than Eastern European, particularly when his shussin is Almaty, which is way closer to the other central Asian republics and 200km away from the Chinese border, in this big central Asian turkic area.

This is the area where the Europe/Asia "border" has been put by geographers, and the line linking Ural mountain range and Caspian sea cuts a chuck of Kazakhstan into geographical Europe. Of course, some ethnic Europeans live in Kazakhtan, mainly as a result of being a former Soviet Republic, and he may have some level of European admixture.

Best thing is probably to ask him how he feels about his own identity

On 27/07/2022 at 17:49, Churaumi said:

But do they have a strong wrestling culture like Mongolia? I genuinely know almost nothing about Kazakhstan except they eat a lot of pilaf and don't care for Borat.

I'd think so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazakh_wrestling

Posted (edited)

They are really good at boxing too - maybe that's where Kinbozan got his thrusting power from (Liftingweights...)(Oshidashi...)

Edited by Katooshu

Posted (edited)

Kazakhstan is rather famous on the tennis world for converting multiple second string Russians into representing them instead, probably by offering them backing and resources that the Russian federation dedicates to their top stars only. That's been the case for as long as I can remember, definitely on for more than 10 years at this point!
If you add this to the fact that there's a few native Kazakhs who are no slouches themselves (Zarina Diyas comes to mind), they actually have strong national squads for both Davis Cup & its female counterpart Billie Jean King Cup and regularly go far into them.

Ironically, that meant Russian-born tennis players representing Kazakhstan were not affected by Wimbledon's ban, unlike their star compatriots - and it came to a staggering conclusion as Elena Rybakina ended up taking both hers and Kazakhstan's first Grand Slam singles title

Edited by Koorifuu

4 minutes ago, Koorifuu said:

Kazakhstan is rather famous on the tennis world for converting multiple second string Russians into representing them instead, probably by offering them backing and resources that the Russian federation dedicates to their top stars only. That's been the case for as long as I can remember, definitely on for more than 10 years at this point!
If you add this to the fact that there's a few native Kazakhs who are no slouches themselves (Zarina Diyas comes to mind), they actually have strong national squads for both Davis Cup & its female counterpart Billie Jean King Cup and regularly go far into them.

Ironically, that meant Russian-born tennis players representing Kazakhstan were not affected by Wimbledon's ban, unlike their star compatriots - and it came to a staggering conclusion as Elena Rybakina ended up taking both hers and Kazakhstan's first Grand Slam singles title

Sounds like my home country and table tennis.

2 hours ago, Koorifuu said:

This past month Kazakhstan won a World Championship in the 300m Womens Steeplechase.  The winner, Norah Jeruto, was one of four women from Kenya who changed citizenship from Kenya to Kazakhstan three years ago.  There are so many quality runners in Kenya, and such a relative lack of money for pro athletes, that many athletes work out an emigration deal with other countries.

Am I the only one taken aback by all this talk about ethnical traits?

Imagine there's no countries, it isn't hard to do...

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Thanks to the Glorious Workers Revolution, Russians and Volga Germans and Poles and Koreans ... are part of the ethnic potpourri in Kazakhstan.  Miraculously, since the 1990's many non-Kazakh populations are emigrating to places like Germany, Poland, Korea, etc.  Because they never formed a cohesive culture, the ethnic association can be important in figuring out what kind of wrestling they do.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Ethnicity is different than nationality.  It's easy to imagine no countries.  No different cultures is an entirely different matter.

6 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

I consider that song highly dystopian. Highly doubtful that you're alone in that line of thinking, but it's not one I personally think holds up to scrutiny.

• Like 3

On 28/07/2022 at 13:11, Kenneth Minami said:

Kinbozan was firstly mentioned in 2015 on Kazakh TV as a potential deshi of Asashoryu. 
https://youtu.be/JBCQd9lV4kw

https://youtu.be/vS_HToc90A4

First video, Asashoryu: We have almost reached agreement about educating a lad from Kazakhstan in sumo wrestling in Japan. I wholly support him; I would like to have my own Kazakh pupil. He is very big, with good physical characteristics. I think this will work out, and I ask everyone to support him.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Reonito said:

First video, Asashoryu: We have almost reached agreement about educating a lad from Kazakhstan in sumo wrestling in Japan. I wholly support him; I would like to have my own Kazakh pupil. He is very big, with good physical characteristics. I think this will work out, and I ask everyone to support him.

Second video:

Narrator: The young energetic student from Almaty, Yersin Baltagulov, is training intensively several hours a day. The 18-year-old judoka is getting ready to enroll in a Japanese sumo school. He was told during a visit to Almaty by Asashoryu, the first Mongolian to reach the highest rank of Yokozuna, that he has all the physical tools, weighing 130 kg and standing almost 2 meters tall.

Yersin: I understand that this is a big responsibility. My relatives and the whole country believe in me. I will apply all efforts to justify their hopes and become a sumotori. I am not afraid; I aim only forward. Asashoryu believes in me, and he is the great sumo champion from Mongolia who proved to everyone how good he is. I also want to reach such heights; it is my dream.

Narrator: Kazhakh sponsors responded to help Yersin to reach this dream. The education at the prestigious school will cost 30,000 dollars, of which the government of Japan is prepared to cover 20,000. Yersin Baltagulov will head to Japan in early March. At first, the young Kazakh will get a four-month basic education in middle [sic] school, after which he will be sent to the University for Sport, where sumo training will start.

Sponsor: The most important thing is that Yersin be able to handle the training in Japan. Believe me, I’ve seen it, and it’s very hard. We want the name of Kazakhstan and this Kazakh sportsman to ring out to the entire world, and we will achieve this.

Narrator: The first stage of learning sumo lasts a minimum of 3 years, depending on the talent and the accomplishments of the student. From the first days of enrolling in sumo school, Kazakh Yersin Baltagulov will have to participate in fights with more experienced peers. We have to hope that his desire and aspiration will help him win in tournaments and earn the respect of the Japanese public and then the whole world, which in turn will bring glory to Kazakhstan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)

Quite the support for Kinbozan to help him achieve this.

Going into Nihon University after just a couple months in Japan, with close to no sumo experience, is about as tough as it gets for an amateur.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1