Akinomaki

Nagoya 2022 day After pics overview

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, yorikiried by fate said:

Jeez, this looks like from a funeral.

Granted the flowers don't help (quite interested to learn about those though), but it's not quite as bad as the one where Terunofuji looked like a noh mask and was dressed in white.

Edited by Seiyashi

I thought exactly the same. If this is Ichinojo being happy, then I sure wouldn't like to see a photo of him being sad!

5 hours ago, Getayukata said:

If this is Ichinojo being happy, then I sure wouldn't like to see a photo of him being sad!

I am pretty sure it would be the exact same facial expression. Even possibly a bit more cheerful!

He seems to be following the late, great Kitanoumi when it comes to stoicism. I remember a photo in an old Sumo forum issue from Kitanoumi's engagement announcement. It has to be one of the few occasions where he was caught on camera smiling. His soon to be bride looked like she was at a funeral. (Sigh...)

• Haha 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I detect a few tiny smiles in this video.  I looked at the video over & over again so it might not start at the beginning.  Look at the video from 00:18 to 00:40.  As you can see, it takes place before the awards ceremony.  Just before he does some bending-up-and-down warm-up exercises, I detect a small smile, WHILE he's doing the warm-up, you see him in profile with what looks like a small smile.  Then he drinks some water from a bottle, then walks closer to the camera and gives a small smile as he disappears out of the frame.  It's subtle but I don't think I'm imagining things.

I do remember another video of Ichinojo at a small restaurant having dinner with 2 other rikishi and he was REALLY smiling then.  I think that video disappeared from Youtube.

Here is the video from the first paragraph. 

Posted (edited)

Okay, so I had to go back to 2014 (video uploaded in May) when Ichinojo was West Juryo 10 to see a few genuine smiles.  This is a traditional kesho-mawashi interview showing his new kesho-mawashi.  At this time, he has 2 kesho-mawashi.  Times are APPROX due to my ancient laptop stopping the timer periodically and then leaping ahead.  Little but noticeable smiles are at APPROX 1:45, 3:10, 3:40, childhood picture at 5:11, older childhood picture at 5:56, BIG SMILE AT 6:35, picture with Dad the day he left Mongolia for Japan at 7:25, Tottori High School Champion at 7:50, third place high school champion (video) at 8:28 and smile at 12:44. 

Edited by sumojoann
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I remember this Kinta video.  It's hilarious!!  It took place after the Aki Basho 2014 when Ichinojo won Special Prizes.  It has ENGLISH SUBTITLES.  The interviewer is long-winded and asks detailed questions to which Ichinojo responds with one or two word answers.  Of course his Japanese language ability was more limited then.  He's generally quite stoic but there's a noticeable smile between 00:30 and 00:34. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He looks more like annoyed to me. Oh no, enough with all these interviews, ceremonies, and meeting people already. Just let me have my nap!!

• Like 1

Just after the yusho he showed a few smiles, Abi encouraged him to smile for the parade and there were some at the NHK Sunday sports interview

At the heya's yusho celebration he is shown stoic when without mask, with mask most people look grim anyway

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, sumojoann said:

I do remember another video of Ichinojo at a small restaurant having dinner with 2 other rikishi and he was REALLY smiling then.  I think that video disappeared from Youtube.

Is this the one? He seems happy seeing beer arrive (at 2:35). This channel is great, it has quality content with English subtitles

Edited by Chiyotasuke
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you SO MUCH, @Chiyotasuke!!  That's it!  A really great video and the subtitles are excellent.  I'm going to watch all of this content provider's other videos.  Yes, Ichinojo really came alive when the beer arrived.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sumojoann said:

and the subtitles are excellent.

I don't get it; mine weren't in English.

47 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

I don't get it; mine weren't in English.

There's also Japanese auto-generated subtitles on it. Sometimes for some reason I get Dutch on some videos I watch; I have no idea why.

3 hours ago, sumojoann said:

Thank you SO MUCH, @Chiyotasuke!!  That's it!  A really great video and the subtitles are excellent.  I'm going to watch all of this content provider's other videos.  Yes, Ichinojo really came alive when the beer arrived.

50 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

There's also Japanese auto-generated subtitles on it. Sometimes for some reason I get Dutch on some videos I watch; I have no idea why.

I never try the "CC" button 'cause they never work; but this one did!  Muchas arigatos, Señor y Señora!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, sumojoann said:

That's the heya's own YT channel, plenty of content with Ichinojo of course

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

That's the heya's own YT channel, plenty of content with Ichinojo of course

@Akinomaki That's great to know.  Do other heya's have their own YT channels. too?  If so, can you give us some links, if you know them?  Thanks!

On 28/07/2022 at 18:51, sumojoann said:

@Akinomaki That's great to know.  Do other heya's have their own YT channels. too?  If so, can you give us some links, if you know them?  Thanks!

Asakayama beya recently started a channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD6xH6N6t1JpdC7u8WpVZWg/videos

Shikoroyama has one https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxA-rEbN8WYQ0uohEohsmvQ/videos

Others on my list are rather not by the heya itself, but from a related side

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

At the Minato-beya senshuraku party, celebrating the yusho of Ichinojo, with a rather meager fish (or maybe it looks like that because of Ichinojo)

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3