Gagamaru Masaru (Former Komusubi of Kise-Beya) and special guest Amiran Tsikoridze (European Sumo Champion) will talk about and teach sumo!

This sumo wrestling seminar is for both for spectators and athletes, alike! TICKETS: CLICK HERE!

Hosted by Dallas Sumo Club & Dark Circle Sumo Club - In Collaboration with @Inside Sport Japan

FYI-5NyXoAEAWNt?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Gaga in my neck of the woods!?!?! Outstanding! I work seven days a week so I won't be able to attend. :'-(

How much English does Gagamaru have?  Will he need a Japanese-English (or Georgian-English) interpreter?

I believe he still in his Ozeki run, so? (Anotheryearolder...)

Posted (edited)

I wonder if @sumojoannwill be interested in this? However as I'm from England, the size of Texas is difficult to comprehend. It may be like someone recommending me to go to France to watch sumo "locally".

Edited by Stupidface
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Stupidface said:

owever as I'm from England, the size of Texas is difficult to comprehend.

Puts me in mind of that YT video where a Brit is flabbergasted at being able to drive for 12 hours and still be in Texas, whereas that could take you from Land's End to John O'Groats and back or something. 

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Stupidface said:

I wonder if @sumojoannwill be interested in this? However as I'm from England, the size of Texas is difficult to comprehend. It may be like someone recommending me to go to France to watch sumo "locally".

Wow, this is so cool!!  Unfortunately, the only cool things about this are the event itself,  Gaga, Amiran and the sponsors.  In late August in Arlington, which is close to Dallas, and with the unusually high temperatures this year, I wouldn't be surprised if it reaches 105-110 degrees F.  The medications I take don't allow me to be out in the heat.  The driving distance is 279 miles (449 km), and the flying distance is 250 miles (402 km).  If it were local, I would jump at the chance to go, heat be damned!  Thanks for bringing this to my attention, @Stupidface.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sumojoann said:

Wow, this is so cool!!  Unfortunately, the only cool things about this are the event itself,  Gaga, Amiran and the sponsors.  In late August in Arlington, which is close to Dallas, and with the unusually high temperatures this year, I wouldn't be surprised if it reaches 105-110 degrees F.  The medications I take don't allow me to be out in the heat.  The driving distance is 279 miles (449 km), and the flying distance is 250 miles (402 km).  If it were local, I would jump at the chance to go, heat be damned!  Thanks for bringing this to my attention, @Stupidface.

Yeah, that's a five hour drive with rest and relax stops.  Still, it is Gagamaru.

It's about 17 hours for me on the Southeast coast.  Oh, well, I'll wait for the video from Corey.

• Like 1

I just noticed the top part of Gaga's kesho-mawashi --- "G" "A" (in fancy script), then a heart with an arrow pierced through it, then another "G" "A" (in fancy script).  Gorgeous and funny at the same time.

Wasn't he going to be a "talento" in Japan?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, sumojoann said:

I just noticed the top part of Gaga's kesho-mawashi --- "G" "A" (in fancy script), then a heart with an arrow pierced through it, then another "G" "A" (in fancy script).  Gorgeous and funny at the same time.

Wasn't he going to be a "talento" in Japan?

Yeah, his thread has a quote from him about "burying his bones in Japan". Doesn't rule out occasional profile-raising trips across the Pacific though, since this might well be a one off. Or at least I'm hoping it's not and continues with some regularity.

Edited by Seiyashi

11 hours ago, sumojoann said:

You're most welcome, hopefully we can all find some footage on YT to enjoy without having to suffer in the weather!

• Like 1

Hey y'all, sorry about the lack of response! Started a new job and I've been swamped! Thank you for all the positive feedback, if you guys have some questions you'd like us to ask Gaga please leave them here! I'd love to share the support with him, he's very excited to visit America and Texas!

• Like 1

Thanks for the offer!  I have a few questions:

1) Does he keep in touch with countryman Tochinoshin?

2) Are there Sumo-related things that he likes to do now that he's not locked into the life of an active rikishi?

3) Does he know the difference between Texas BBQ and Southern BBQ?

On 29/07/2022 at 22:30, Yamanashi said:

Thanks for the offer!  I have a few questions:

1) Does he keep in touch with countryman Tochinoshin?

2) Are there Sumo-related things that he likes to do now that he's not locked into the life of an active rikishi?

3) Does he know the difference between Texas BBQ and Southern BBQ?

Great stuff - We'll get to the bottom of it for ya and film it too!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A few questions if you're able to ask.

1) How did his background in judo and sambo help with his transition into sumo? 

2) What recommendations does he have to grow the sport in places like the U.S.?

3) What is his favorite Georgian food that he misses while he's in Japan? 

4) What is his record for wine consumption while attending a supra?

Edited by Shinobi Steve

18 hours ago, Shinobi Steve said:

A few questions if you're able to ask.

1) How did his background in judo and sambo help with his transition into sumo? 

2) What recommendations does he have to grow the sport in places like the U.S.?

3) What is his favorite Georgian food that he misses while he's in Japan? 

4) What is his record for wine consumption while attending a supra?

Haha, great! Thanks - We'll ask it for ya!

• Like 1

On 21/07/2022 at 09:32, Yamanashi said:

How much English does Gagamaru have?  Will he need a Japanese-English (or Georgian-English) interpreter?

Good questions from Yamanashi.  @Corey Morrison, How much English does Gagamaru speak?  Will he have a Japanese-English or Georgian-English interpreter?

I'm curious who his favourite and least favourite opponent to face were.

Also, let's say he's just finished his match on day 15 and is heading backstage. What emotion is he feeling with the basho all over? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sumojoann said:

Good questions from Yamanashi.  @Corey Morrison, How much English does Gagamaru speak?  Will he have a Japanese-English or Georgian-English interpreter?

Gaga speaks very little English - Amiran, who is the other Georgian wrestler joining us speaks good English! We will also have Japanese speakers with us!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Katooshu said:

I'm curious who his favourite and least favourite opponent to face were.

Also, let's say he's just finished his match on day 15 and is heading backstage. What emotion is he feeling with the basho all over? 

Ah, good stuff - Thank you! I can't wait to learn this myself.

• Thanks 1

@Corey MorrisonHow did things go this past Sunday, Aug 28, with Gagamaru and Amiran?  Can't wait to hear about it and see some great photos!  I'm sorry I couldn't make it --- I really wanted to come, but I'm dealing with some serious health issues.

2 hours ago, sumojoann said:

@Corey MorrisonHow did things go this past Sunday, Aug 28, with Gagamaru and Amiran?  Can't wait to hear about it and see some great photos!  I'm sorry I couldn't make it --- I really wanted to come, but I'm dealing with some serious health issues.

I heard on the most recent GSB interview that there might've been some visa troubles for the Georgians. Hopefully this was resolved in time and they still made it. Always seems to be an issue with holding international events in the USA.

• Thanks 1