Sign in to follow this  
Seiyashi

Farcical basho?

Just when we'd thought we'd seen it all this basho with Kitanofuji nearly pulling a ragequit and Shōdai miraculously starting a kadoban escape after that, we get an unprecedented goof in the musubi no ichiban. There's probably no doubt Nagoya 2022 will go down in sumo history as a basho of some infamy. 

Before this basho though, what other basho have been similarly marred by weird happenings that overshadow the results themselves? Obvious candidates would be the yaocho scandals and/or the violence scandals, but those don't quite rise to the same level of farce as the current basho. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Kyushu 2017 sticks out in my mind. You had the Harumafuji scandal break, and Hakuho's infamous mono-ii attempt. To make matters worse, the actual tournament itself was a complete dud.

• Like 2

Just wait until more and more heya retreat into quarantine.

1 hour ago, yohcun said:

Kyushu 2017 sticks out in my mind. You had the Harumafuji scandal break, and Hakuho's infamous mono-ii attempt. To make matters worse, the actual tournament itself was a complete dud.

The 2017 Aki basho before that was entertaining, even if the final hoshitori was farcical.

I would also choose any basho in the TakaWaka era after the heya merger.

Of course, the infamous saschigai against Taiho (that ended his consecutive wins streak) and blotched our favourite beardie gyoji reputation who protest against the shimpan, the media photo published the following day, which then led to the introduction of video replays (which then led to a host of more wonderful things to watch, including this).

anyone remember the restart of a match, where Yoshikaze directed the gyoji to recreate the bout?

One of the most farcical Juryo dohyo-iri that I witnessed live.

when the West side Juryo sekitori were walking down the corridor, they were 3 members short. Just as the last 2 Juryo sekitori were about to step up to the dohyo, Meisei (or was it Rikishin?), Terutsuyoshi & Tsurugisho dashed out of the hanamichi, running full speed and managing to intercept the final Juryo rikishi and cut in front of him to step onto the dohyo (with stoic faces) completely out of order.

credit to the gyoji announcer sitting dohyo side, calmly announcing them.

I believed the trio got chewed out by the shimpan-cho, immediately after Juryo bouts ended. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 17/07/2022 at 09:51, rhyen said:

Of course, the infamous saschigai against Taiho (that ended his consecutive wins streak) and blotched our favourite beardie gyoji reputation who protest against the shimpan, the media photo published the following day, which then led to the introduction of video replays (which then led to a host of more wonderful things to watch, including this).

I think you might be conflating two different mono-ii there - the famous case of a gyoji arguing with the shimpan involved Kitanofuji putting his hand down to break a fall against Takanohana three years later in 1972. 

Edited by ryafuji

11 minutes ago, ryafuji said:

I think you might be conflating two different mono-ii there - the famous case of a gyoji arguing with the shimpan involved Kitanofuji putting his hand down to break a fall against Takanohana three years later in 1972. 

(Actually the end to Taiho’s winning streak was fraught with controversy, as the referee in the ring declared him the winner, only to have the decision overturned by the five judges sitting around the dohyo. 

(Photographs published in newspapers the next day indicated Taiho’s opponent’s foot actually did step ever so briefly out of the ring first. That evidence was too late to help Taiho, but the surrounding uproar led to the institution of a videotape room for the head judge to be wired to and consult with the facility.)

https://web.archive.org/web/20070927212330/http://www.weekender.co.jp/new/040506/sports-sumo.html

On 17/07/2022 at 05:00, Seiyashi said:

Just when we'd thought we'd seen it all this basho with Kitanofuji nearly pulling a ragequit and Shōdai miraculously starting a kadoban escape after that, we get an unprecedented goof in the musubi no ichiban. There's probably no doubt Nagoya 2022 will go down in sumo history as a basho of some infamy. 

Before this basho though, what other basho have been similarly marred by weird happenings that overshadow the results themselves? Obvious candidates would be the yaocho scandals and/or the violence scandals, but those don't quite rise to the same level of farce as the current basho. 

I think the biggest goof was the COVID stuff.   Given the latest variant, they should have limited the crowd or held it without.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robnplunder said:

I think the biggest goof was the COVID stuff.   Given the latest variant, they should have limited the crowd or held it without.   

For this basho? Yeah, probably, although it isn't quite something you can see like with the musubi on day 8.

On that topic though, I have two contributions. The first basho I can think of that might be partially a farce would have been Nagoya 2019, where the ōzeki withdrew one after another in fairly quick succession early in the tournament. Having flown in to try and catch that basho, i can definitely see why there's the whole dimension of wrestlers not wanting to disappoint fans by going kyūjō, though seeing them fight in a subpar condition isn't necessarily any better. 

The second situation is perhaps too serious to be called a farce, but basically any time anyone was injured on the dohyō before the NSK overhauled their injury procedures. The standout screwups to be were Hibikiryū's incident while he was just left on the dohyō while the winner and gyoji were doing the ceremonies on the other side, and the Takayasu-Kakuryū bout during the closed door basho. 

45 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

The second situation is perhaps too serious to be called a farce, but basically any time anyone was injured on the dohyō before the NSK overhauled their injury procedures. The standout screwups to be were Hibikiryū's incident while he was just left on the dohyō while the winner and gyoji were doing the ceremonies on the other side, and the Takayasu-Kakuryū bout during the closed door basho. 

Yeah, it is not a farce but a stupidity.   Too many times, I saw rikishi with a possible concussion being forced to get up.  That is dangerous to the injured.  

• Like 2

There was that basho where Hokutofuji got knocked out during a matta (by Abi?) and still had to do the bout clearly concussed and barely able to stay on his feet. Just one of several examples where an injury was handled farcically of course.

8 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

There was that basho where Hokutofuji got knocked out during a matta (by Abi?) and still had to do the bout clearly concussed and barely able to stay on his feet. Just one of several examples where an injury was handled farcically of course.

Ryuden, I think, not Abi.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, rhyen said:

(Actually the end to Taiho’s winning streak was fraught with controversy, as the referee in the ring declared him the winner, only to have the decision overturned by the five judges sitting around the dohyo. 

(Photographs published in newspapers the next day indicated Taiho’s opponent’s foot actually did step ever so briefly out of the ring first. That evidence was too late to help Taiho, but the surrounding uproar led to the institution of a videotape room for the head judge to be wired to and consult with the facility.)

https://web.archive.org/web/20070927212330/http://www.weekender.co.jp/new/040506/sports-sumo.html

It was the "protest the shimpan" part that I was querying; I don't believe he did any arguing. Gyoji don't give their opinions unless asked, that's what made the 1972 case so unusual. 

1 hour ago, ryafuji said:

It was the "protest the shimpan" part that I was querying; I don't believe he did any arguing. Gyoji don't give their opinions unless asked, that's what made the 1972 case so unusual. 

It was the same gyoji and he did protest. The 1972 outburst was not the first one. 

40 minutes ago, rhyen said:

It was the same gyoji and he did protest. The 1972 outburst was not the first one. 

The Taiho-Toda bout was officiated by Shikimori Inosuke 22, the later Kimura Shonosuke 26. The Kitanofuji-Takanohana bout was officiated by Kimura Shonosuke 25.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

The Taiho-Toda bout was officiated by Shikimori Inosuke 22, the later Kimura Shonosuke 26. The Kitanofuji-Takanohana bout was officiated by Kimura Shonosuke 25.

My mistake then.

11 hours ago, Seregost said:

Ryuden, I think, not Abi.

Ah, yes. I remember now as I think he’d done a few false starts that basho and was earning a bit of a rep for it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Ah, yes. I remember now as I think he’d done a few false starts that basho and was earning a bit of a rep for it.

Was that also the basho where he was twerking his ass off? 

5 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

Could have been. Maybe what caused the matta so many times.

21 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

No, it was a few bashos before. As @Eikokurai said, he did like 3 or 4 mattas, and Hokutofuji ended concussed. Or at least that's what I remember.

37 minutes ago, Seregost said:

No, it was a few bashos before. As @Eikokurai said, he did like 3 or 4 mattas, and Hokutofuji ended concussed. Or at least that's what I remember.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 17/07/2022 at 07:00, Seiyashi said:

....There's probably no doubt Nagoya 2022 will go down in sumo history as a basho of some infamy. 

I think 'some infamy' no longer applies. To me, Nagoya 2022 is right up there with Haru 1932 but obviously for a different reason. (Blinking...) 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kishinoyama said:

I think 'some infamy' no longer applies. To me, Nagoya 2022 is right up there with Haru 1932 but obviously for a different reason. (Blinking...) 

All it needs is for either Minato or Isegahama to go kyūjō tomorrow.

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Kishinoyama said:

49 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

All it needs is for either Minato or Isegahama to go kyūjō tomorrow.

Minato would mean only Ichinojo out. It happens, would say Isegahama-oyakata. Some real show would instead follow a retirement of Isegahama and Kokonoe. I am honestly bewildered that such big heyas did not get COVID until now.