mt fuji

Shohozan intai

2 hours ago, Yarimotsu said:

So is there any possibility that this is a Japanese politeness thing and he might have actually wanted a kabu? Or is this almost definitely his actual opinion?

Not succeeding to ex-Wakashimazu's stock is one thing but there is the vacant Nishikijima which in theory the NSK has control over. Then again, there could also be an element of self delusion if he couldn't come to an agreement with his shisho on stock to begin with. I highly doubt the conversation only started recently. 

As long as he doesn't turn into another Takatoriki...

I'll always remember him for the furious brawling matches he had with Yoshikaze. Every time they met you could be sure that you'd be in for some entertaining sumo. I'll miss both of them. 

This one is a good example:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W7bd21Ae9ec

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Intai press conference

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Already saw from the photos, but Hanaregoma-oyakata is in a crazy good shape. 

• Like 1

On 22/06/2022 at 16:52, Kujo said:

I wonder if this caused him to burn a few bridges over his career.

That came to my mind, too.

I hated his style but grew to like him over time. He compensated for his lack of size with an aggressive approach.  

Shohozan was guest commentator on Abema today, when asked if there was something he wanted to make time for now he has retired he replied "A fishing trip". (Applauding...)

The commentator asked (jokingly?) why he hadn't been on Abema's fishing program(s) while active, Shohozan replied he wasn't invited.

I'm sure a more competent translator / someone who watched live will be able to find a few more interesting tidbits. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Shohozan was in Usa, Oita, on July 20th to report his intai to the mayor. He went to high school in the city and genuinely began with sumo after the start of high school there. In 2nd year he received training from OB Kakizoe, who came to the sumo club for week as teaching practice (like Nakamura in Hiryu recently). http://mainichi.jp/articles/20220806/ddl/k44/050/346000c

9.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I remember watching some sumo variety show in which he was asked his aim for the coming basho. "Zensho" was his reply, with an obviously joking face. Funny guy.