Jejima

Bench World Cup 2022

Hi everyone!

Back in 2010, we had the inaugural Bench World Cup.  This is a fantasy sports game played during the football (soccer) World Cup.  Since then, there have been two further Bench World Cups in 2014 and 2018 and three Bench Euros in 2012, 2016 and 2021.  

Here are the basic rules of the game(These may be slightly tweaked later - but they are pretty much established now.)

From previous experience, it can take a little while to get people to sign up, so that we have enough players to make the game work. So, I am starting very early with this topic, outside of sumo time.

The actual World Cup commences in the middle of a sumo basho. So, I would like to get all the initial administration (the draw for representative teams, squad selection, and list of penalty takers for the round of 16) completed around the end of October, so as not to overlap with sumo gaming. :-)

Please sign up to play and to volunteer to be a 'refioji' (referee/gyoji - term originally coined by Achiyama). No need for prior experience to become a refioji.

Please 'sign up' on the list below if you would like to play.  We need 32 competitors, (plus a few reserves, just in case)

Preference is given to:
a) sumo game players (even better if you play Bench Sumo!)
b) sumo fans
c) family of the above
d) friends of the above

We also need eight 'refiojis' - one person to look after each of the six groups in the group stages (so one refioji in charge of four players).
Those refiojis will then be given games in the knock-out stages to look after.

Please register your interest to play below, and whether you would be able to kindly help out with the administration. 

Refiojis
1. Athenayama
2. Jakusotsu
3. Nekonishiki
4. Achiyama

Reserves
First reserve: 
Second reserve: 

Players
1. Jejima
2. Fujiko (wife of Jejima)
3. Baku (son of Jejima and Fujiko)
4. Kaba (son of Jejima and Fujiko)
5. Athenayama
6. Ganzohnesushi
7. Finngall
8. Joaoiyama
9. Jakusotsu
10. Yarimotsu
11. Asapedroryu
12. Oshirokita
13. chishafuwaku
14. Djodjoyoshi (Athenayama's cousin who participated with very good performance in last Bench Euro)
15. Shamrock (Athenayama's friend)
16.  Patrick (Athenayama's friend)
17.  Kimyama Ptunus (Athenayama's friend)
18.  Bulldog (Athenayama's friend) 
19. Chijanofuji
20.  Nekonishiki
21. Akishiki
22. Achiyama
23. Krisachiyama (grandson of Achiyama, and regular player of Bench World Cup)
24. Pitinosato
25. andonishiki
26. Kumo Koma (friend of Nekonishiki)
27. Jarayama (son of jomojo, and nephew of Jejima etc)
28. Oyama
29. Andrasoyamawaka
30. Nantonoyama
31. jomojo (Jejima's older brother, and one-time player of Bench Sumo)
32.  Kotononami

First reserve: Mike
Second reserve:  Mr Froggy (a stuffed frog, who has taken part in previous Bench football competitions).

Edited by Jejima

OK sir, hold your breath! Also, maybe that post will motivate others to register early, fearing there will be no place soon...

So, me as a player and I'd be willing to try refioji again.
Candidates as players :
- Djodjoyoshi (my cousin who participated with very good performance in last Bench Euro).
- Shamrock (friend, shikona might change before the start of the game as he's new to this).
- Patrick (friend, shikona might change before the start of the game as he's new to this).
- Ptunus (friend, shikona might change before the start of the game as he's new to this).
- Bulldog (friend, shikona might change before the start of the game as he's new to this).

• Like 1

Count me in, as long as I don't have to be present in real life in Qatar. Unfortunately limited time does not allow any refioji duties.

Ganzohnesushi

Still not sure if I'm going to watch any games of this travesty, but playing and refyojiing the BWC is just too much fun to miss.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jakusotsu said:

Still not sure if I'm going to watch any games of this travesty,

And wait to see the next one with 48 teams....

• Sad 1

I'll bump it again, whilst there is pre-basho traffic, and before the actual basho begins :-)

I'd like to play. I've tried to digest as much of the rules as I can and I think that gave me a general gist of how the game is played and scored. Assumedly there will be reminders of what we need to do and when.

Count me in. Since Canada has qualified, I have some interest this time. Even though I have played in the past, my understanding of the rules is hazy (even after reading them again) so I'll need a refresher on how to play.

Hi!

The World Cup is only about a month away, so this needs bumping up. I've added Athenayama's friends to the list - so we just need fourteen more :-)

BUT, we do need more refiojis!

In real life, I might be moving house in the middle of the World Cup, so I need as much support as possible :-D

Edited by Jejima

I would also like to play, so count me in!

Unfortunately it does not look like I will be able to also take on refijoji duties due to a busy work schedule during the World Cup.

• Like 1

I'm here :) both for players and refioji

I have asked Kuma Koma if he wants to play, still waiting for confirmation

• Like 1

Akishiki has let me know that he would like to play :-)

Refiojiing please not if possible

I really don't have much time this year... :-S

Pitinosato 

pls sign up andonishiki 

Edited by Andonishiki

On 09/10/2022 at 07:55, Nekonishiki Banji said:

Kuma Koma is in, as player only

I think this one was missed.

• Thanks 1

Just five more players required!

I would like to start the admin soon (this week?), so please come and play with us!