Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

New recruits Aki 2022

Well if there's anyone who can give him advice on how to manage bung knees and still be successful, it's got to be terunofuji, right? @Katooshu was that not a left knee in 2017 and right knee in 2019, or is there a chance that one video is mirrored?

Posted (edited)

The Sponichi article lists 3 knee injuries for Ishioka, the left knee in 2nd year high school at the Kanazawa tournament and re-injured in the 3rd year at the 2017 kokutai, the right knee in 2nd year at Nichidai in the student championships team finals

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

No doubt that Teru's a great example of returning strong from knee injury, I'm sure Ishioka will get some good advice, but injuring both knees and having to be dragged off the dohyo multiple times before he's even turned pro makes me question his durability for ozumo. Those breaks he took as an amateur will have him sliding down the rankings in the pros.

If he stays healthy, he should do fairly well.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 2

Any rumblings on exactly whose deshi he is, by the way? Background suggests Asahifuji's, but is there a possibility he's Teru's? 

14 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

Any rumblings on exactly whose deshi he is, by the way? Background suggests Asahifuji's, but is there a possibility he's Teru's? 

The possiblity is definitely there, if not even more likely, as Teru is his senior from Tottori Johoku

Posted (edited)
On 12/06/2022 at 16:47, Akinomaki said:

Keita Kawazoe 川副圭太 (23, 165cm, 110kg now) was injured and apparently decided to first get healthy before he joined, he restarted keiko after graduation, with medical treatment as the priority. The farewell party was on the 11th in a hotel in Kumamoto city. Kawazoe: "Under Magaki-oyakata, who was a great yokozuna, I want to get to sekitori as soon as possible." Magaki: "I'll bring him back to Kumamoto as makuuchi rikishi."

Today was the press conference at the heya for Kawazoe joining

202208220000831-w1300_0.jpg

o b_15575973.jpgo o 20220822s00005000458000p_thum.jpgo  o 202208220000828-w200_1.jpgo b_15575972.jpgo 202208220000831-w200_1.jpgo

f_15575971.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 6

Quick question: why is Oshiogawa's recruit listed as having a Fukuoka shusshin if he's considered a foreign recruit?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The 4 new recruits - Kawazoe

Fa6YsQAUEAAeinD?format=jpg

202208240000784-w200_0.jpgo 20220824-OHT1I51212-N.jpgo

Ishioka

Fa6YwarVEAAkZKj?format=jpg

Haiko Chin for Tatsunami

Fa6YznxUEAAaXTs?format=jpg

Bilguun Tsogoo for Oshiogawa

Fa6Y5TpUEAEz356?format=jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Also regarding Bill Goon... I'm pretty sure there was also another Mongolian recruit with that surname, not too long ago. Can't put my finger on whom it was. Wonder if they're related.

EDIT: OK, that was Kotokenryu and this was discussed here. The shared surname caused some confusion earlier this year, but no confirmation on whether they're related or not. Probably not, though. 

Edited by Koorifuu

Posted (edited)

Haiko Chin 陳佩煌 (17/182/129) for Tatsunami is a 3rd year from the Higashi Osaka university attached Kashiwara high school. Born in China he came to Japan in 2nd year primary school, so he has the 10 years necessary to be treated as Japanese. He won an  Osaka prefecture judo tournament in the above 100kg class.

Bilguun Tsogoo (19/180/144) for Oshiogawa graduated in March from Kibogaoka high school in Fukuoka. He started to live in the heya in February for the 6 months kenshu period and after getting the visa, plans to have his dohyo debut in his 2nd home in Fukuoka at the Kyushu basho.

https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2022/08/24/kiji/20220824s00005000497000c.html

On 17/02/2022 at 00:49, Kintamayama said:

The heya has recruited a Mongolian, Bilguun (related to Sadogatake's Bilguun?), 19 years of age 1.82 meters and weighs 135 kilos.. He still has some time till he can enter, as he has to train at the heya, get a visa, etc. He has reached the top 16 with his high school sumo team and won a yusho at the Fukuoka prefectural tournament. "He has a great heart and knows how to be thankful. He has a very good personality so I'm really looking forward to his future. I would like him to develop his good points and will take full responsibility for him,," said Oshiogawa oyakata.

On 17/02/2022 at 17:03, Yubinhaad said:

could be Bilguun from Kibogaoka high school, seen here losing rather tamely to recent Miyagino-beya recruit Mukainakano a couple of years ago at the Interhigh.

On 17/02/2022 at 18:28, Akinomaki said:

About half a year as kenshuusei/trainee awaits him. In addition to the one basho delay for visa purposes, in all the career of a foreigner is cut down by 4 basho with this NSK measure. It was justified with the need to have foreigners adapt, but Bilguun went to high school in Japan and Oshiogawa is very pleased that he can speak and write Japanese. Most recent foreigners went to high school or even university in Japan.

202202160001094-w200_0.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Kawazoe measured just 166cm, the usual requirement is 167cm. As tsukedashi he is exempt from this, but shimpan top Isegahama apparently didn't know it and said "Also tsukedashi must clear the height requirement". Kawazoe for a while feared he might fail the shindeshi exam when he heard that from the chief, a kyokai employee had told him in advance that height and weight don't matter for a tsukedashi and confirmed that later.

https://www.sanspo.com/article/20220824-SLQWIIG7F5NN3FRAP7CMAV3OWQ/

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Bilguun has the usual goal, "I want to become yokozuna". He gained about 15kg since living in the heya, so quite a lot already at the time of the first article

1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

Bilguun Tsogoo (19/180/144) for Oshiogawa graduated in March from Kibogaoka high school in Fukuoka. He started to live in the heya in February for the 6 months kenshu period and after getting the visa, plans to have his dohyo debut in his 2nd home in Fukuoka at the Kyushu basho.

On 17/02/2022 at 00:49, Kintamayama said:

The heya has recruited a Mongolian, Bilguun (related to Sadogatake's Bilguun?), 19 years of age 1.82 meters and weighs 135 kilos. He still has some time till he can enter, as he has to train at the heya, get a visa, etc. He has reached the top 16 with his high school sumo team and won a yusho at the Fukuoka prefectural tournament. "He has a great heart and knows how to be thankful. He has a very good personality so I'm really looking forward to his future. I would like him to develop his good points and will take full responsibility for him,," said Oshiogawa oyakata.

As rikishi he likes he named Kiribayama.

https://www.sanspo.com/article/20220824-S5XNEYDY7BPIDLV4BZPHNGFT7A/

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

Quick question: why is Oshiogawa's recruit listed as having a Fukuoka shusshin if he's considered a foreign recruit?

The shusshin in our list is just where they are listed as living in the info given to media. There is also the honseki, which in his case is Mongolia. When he is stepping up onto the dohyo he’ll probably be announced as from the latter.

• Thanks 1

Kawazoe will be a fan favourite I think. Tiny guy with an entertaining style and lots of fancy moves.

7 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Kawazoe measured just 166cm, the usual requirement is 167cm. As tsukedashi he is exempt from this, but shimpan top Isegahama apparently didn't know it and said "Also tsukedashi must clear the height requirement". Kawazoe for a while feared he might fail the shindeshi exam when he heard that from the chief, a kyokai employee had told him in advance that height and weight don't matter for a tsukedashi and confirmed that later.

https://www.sanspo.com/article/20220824-SLQWIIG7F5NN3FRAP7CMAV3OWQ/

Clearly Isegahama needs to read the first several volumes of Hinomaru-sumo. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tochinofuji said:

Clearly Isegahama needs to read the first several volumes of Hinomaru-sumo. 

THANKS. I wanted to say the exact same thing but came in late. :-P

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I don't remember a case of a recruit failing the height test. Baraki passed with 163cm, on his toes, since his time injections of silicone in the head became unnecessary (already since the reduction of the height requirement from 173cm to 167cm). Plenty of others later on were listed with a height below that at the shindeshi exam. The articles stress that Isegehama seemed fully earnest, but it was out of the question that the NSK could reject Kawazoe.

Looks like another part in the recently celebrated rivalry between Isegehama for Terunofuji and Miyagino as riji hopeful - shocking Hakuho's side any possible way.

Edited by Akinomaki

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

I don't remember a case of a recruit failing the height test. Baraki passed with 163cm, on his toes, since his time injections of silicone in the head became unnecessary (already since the reduction of the height requirement from 173cm to 167cm). Plenty of others later on were listed with a height below that at the shindeshi exam. The articles stress that Isegehama seemed fully earnest, but it was out of the question that the NSK could reject Kawazoe.

Looks like another part in the recently celebrated rivalry between Isegehama for Terunofuji and Miyagino as riji hopeful - shocking Hakuho's side any possible way.

While I can believe Isegahama would rather back Terunofuji in his oyakata career over Miyagino, it seems awfully obvious/transparent/petty to pull it as the presiding oyakata at the shindeshi exam. Plus it seems a bit out of character for him as he's always struck me as one of the more intelligent albeit awfully straightlaced/by-the-book oyakata, and Terunofuji's comment on not wanting to put his shisho in a difficult spot regarding his ōzeki repromotion come to mind.

Are we absolutely sure Isegahama isn't trying to pull a fast one/prank on the tabloids and/or that he isn't the kakkai's hidden master of boke/tsukkomi humour?

Edited by Seiyashi

2 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

While I can believe Isegahama would rather back Terunofuji in his oyakata career over Miyagino, it seems awfully obvious/transparent/petty to pull it as the presiding oyakata at the shindeshi exam. Plus it seems a bit out of character for him as he's always struck me as one of the more intelligent albeit awfully straightlaced/by-the-book oyakata, and Terunofuji's comment on not wanting to put his shisho in a difficult spot regarding his ōzeki repromotion come to mind.

Are we absolutely sure Isegahama isn't trying to pull a fast one/prank on the tabloids and/or that he isn't the kakkai's hidden master of boke/tsukkomi humour?

The latter, it runs in the family (exhibit 1: Aminishiki).

For media evidence, check out Kisenosato’s prebasho Sumo inside out show, the Ginosho episode. His dry humour is there for all to see. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

I say it was a prank, deliberately choosing a member of Miyagino-beya as the victim, maybe to show Hakuho that the NSK top will continue to make it hard for him to be a member. Probably the Weekly Post will soon write an article about it in their series about the rivalry they discovered. Isegahama may have been inspired by that, but I don't think he cares much about it.

• Like 1

Report from the shin-deshi kensa

Isegahama gave no comment - Sadogatake announced 166cm, Kawazoe asked him for confirmation

• Like 2

On 24/08/2022 at 14:41, Koorifuu said:

Also regarding Bill Goon... I'm pretty sure there was also another Mongolian recruit with that surname, not too long ago. Can't put my finger on whom it was. Wonder if they're related.

EDIT: OK, that was Kotokenryu and this was discussed here. The shared surname caused some confusion earlier this year, but no confirmation on whether they're related or not. Probably not, though. 

Remember that Mongolians don't have surnames per se: they have patronymics, i.e. their father's name is their second name.   Unless they're brothers, the shared name is a coincidence.  

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Ryoshishokunin said:

Remember that Mongolians don't have surnames per se: they have patronymics, i.e. their father's name is their second name.   Unless they're brothers, the shared name is a coincidence.  

Among the waning number of societies that retain this custom. Iceland, interestingly, has patronyms for sons and matronyms for daughters -- by law.  I have no idea how the Gender movement is affecting them.

Incidentally, "Bill Goon" would be a perfect name for a yob-like character in a 60's or 70's British sitcom.

Edited by Yamanashi