Kintamayama

Preparations of the masses- July 2022

As promised, degeiko has resumed today after two years and three months. Takayasu arrived at Oitekaze beya. He is the only sekitori at his heya , so not much to train with there. That was made quite obvious last basho when the lack of real training was quite conspicuous. OT0H, Oitekaze has quite a few sekitori. He arrived at eight thirty in the morning, doing shiko and other fundamentals. Then, he entered the ring and faced the Oitekaze guys for some sumo. Komusubi Daieishou, Tobizaru, Juryo Daiamami  and Daishouhou -all types of rikishi. !8 bouts, won 11, facing Daieishou for the last consecutive nine bouts. Takayasu came to Oitekaze for the first time since he was an Ozeki. "Brings back fond memories..Really. After all, it's really good to face some sekitori, and I am very satisfied. My spirit is heightened and it's great to face guys with different personalities. It's a great learning experience and I would like to thank everyone for their efforts. I have been looking forward to this for so long, and the atmosphere was quite cheerful. I will be upping my pace for the remainder of the possible degeiko days (17). I plan to visit many heyas and go all out and  check out the new Nishonoseki lodgings and maybe have a chance to train with the Oyakata again.. I plan not to repeat last bashos mistakes (unprepared) and arrive on day 1 in the best condition possible and cruise through all 15 days safely." he summed.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)

Is there a rikishi who has been more adversely affected by events of the past couple years (covid resulting in no degeiko; loss of his stablemate) than Takayasu?

Hope the degeiko sessions reignite him and he can get that long-awaited yusho. 

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 2

Kaisei was at Asakayama-beya for degeiko, lets hope he and Kaisho can get kachi koshis this time around. Here follow some pics (via Asakayama-beya's Instagram).

9yOw7a6.png    UNNjmEH.png

4aFkzdL.png    yaqmldl.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Returning ex- Ozeki Asanoyama trained at home today. He had 24 bouts in total, going 9-3 against Juryo Asanowaka. "He is steadily moving better  It's been a while (a year.) but he's back for Nagoya, probably from Sandanme, but I want him to gambarize as it is a come-back.." said his Oyakata. He has not been receiving preferential treatment this past year, doing all the heya chores, cooking, cleaning, etc.. like all the other Makushita and unders. "He's just like the others so it goes without saying..Those are the heya rules," added the Oyakata. Additionally, he has been living at the heya in a room with 3 other rikishi ("our Makushita guys live in the Makushita rooms", explained Takasago Oyakata..).  At the beginning of his punishment he seemed to be dejected but has gotten over it gradually . "After about half a year he seemed to be returning to his old self and has been training seriously. I advised him not to forget his sumo, even though a year has passed. We have a month till next basho and I'm sure he will be preparing himself  mentally and physically. If he goes about it as usual  when he steps on the dohyo on day 1, that would be good!" summed Takasago Oyakata.

202206110000600-w500_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)

Juryo Asanowaka faced Asanoyama today in training and was 3-9 against him. "He has experience as an Ozeki, so I really couldn't compete with him. I hope we will both be fighting in Makuuchi soon," he said, checking to see if his rabbit foot was still there.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

Posted (edited)

Big degeiko day today. Wakatakakage hosted Abi, Kiribayama and Hokutofuji for some fierce training. "I am grateful I was able to train with all sorts of sekitori," he said later. A lot of fans were standing outside  the heya pressing their noses against the glass windows to watch. There were actually six sekitori, with Wakamotoharu and  Koutokuzan there as well. Wakatakakage had 17 bouts, attacking from a low stance as usual. 9-8 against the likes of Abi and Kiribayama. "I want to properly start off from day 1. All i can do is seriously and properly go about my preparations.." he summed.

Abi had 16 bouts and was looking sharp. "The basho is around the corner so I think I'm in good shape. Things didn't go my way last basho (7-8). I have learned from that. I plan on coming here for the next three days to train. Other than that, i will be listening to my body," he said.

Kiribayama came to the degeiko with ex-Kakuryuu and had the most bouts, 20, winning12, mostly facing Wakatakakage. "I really got into it today. It was great. I was really wild during the session and had to apologize after it was over, " he told us. He has been going to Arashio beya for a few days now.

Wakamotoharu had nine bouts and was 4-5, facing the stiffest opposition he ever faced. "I faced the joi guys today and they are all strong. I can't even measure up to my brother..I was just looking for a small reward.. I've got some ways to go..I wonder if the advantage we had as a heys with relatively many sekitori will vanish because degeiko is allowed now for a while. I climbed the banzuke while during the  no-degeiko period, so I wonder.." he wondered. "Sanyaku? I can't see that yet. All i can see is the next banzuke. I haven't been a year in Makuuchi yet and it will be an honor facing the top guys next basho. I'm just happy to be here.." he summed. 

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Today (13th of June), Oshima-beya rikishi (notably Kaisei and Kaiho) were back at Asakayama-beya for degeiko, with Kaisei sparring with and lending his chest to Kaisho (photos and video via Asakayama-beya's instagram).

vtAphWn.jpg   GdkAaa0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/noAOkMC.mp4

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Also, Miyagino-beya visited Naruto-beya for degeiko as well. Notably, Oshoma and Hokuseiho were wearing their white training mawashi. In the photos Naruto-oyakata took, Enho and Ishiura are not present (photos via Naruto-oyakata's blog).

Ed7jUon.png

gJZCubB.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Wakamotoharu had nine bouts and was 4-5, facing the stiffest opposition he ever faced. "I faced the joi guys today and they are all strong. I can't even measure up yo my brother..I was just looking for a small reward.. I've got some ways to go..I wonder if the advantage we had as a heys with relatively many sekitori will vanish because degeiko is allowed now for a while. I climbed the banzuke while during the  no-degeiko period, so I wonder.." he wondered. "Sanyaku? I can't see that yet. All i can see is the next banzuke. I haven't been a year in Makuuchi yet and it will be an honor facing the top guys next basho. I'm just happy to be here.." he summed. 

It will be really interesting to see if he is correct about degeiko affecting or negating the advantages that top heavy heya have. That's not something I had thought about in the excitement of degeiko being back. Couple that with jungyo returning as well and I wonder if there will be major changes as talented youngsters get to take full advantage of training with the best opponents.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Abi had 16 bouts and was looking sharp. "The basho is around the corner so I think I'm in good shape."

Q: How long does it take for a sharp looking Sekitori to go around the corner?

A: About four weeks.

Edited by Jakusotsu
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Q: How long does it take for a sharp looking Sekitori to go around the corner?

A: About four weeks.

Q: If one Sekitori can go around the corner in four weeks, how long does it take four Sekitori to go around the corner?

a) four weeks

b) one week

c) 3.14159 weeks

d) there are too many Sekitori to answer the question.

They only go around inside the corners. It's called dohyo-iri.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Kotonowaka was working hard at home today, facing Kotoshouhou, Kotoekou and visiting Takayasu for 22 bouts, 18 of them against Takayasu, no results given between them, but his overall result was 8-14. "It's the first time I faced him for so many bouts. The keiko was of good quality," said Kotonowaka. Takayasu, who has nobody serious to train against at home, has visited three heyas these last few days and had the most bouts today, 27 and was 17-10.  In contrast to a 24 year old Kotonowaka seen out of breath, the 32 year old Takayasu looked to be in fine shape. "I gambarized so as not to lose to youth.. I want to build my body and enter Nagoya in good shape," he said.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)

Sadogatake beya hosted another degeiko day yesterday with Ouhou visiting Kotonowaka and Kotoshouhou . New Juryo Gounoyama was there as well.All four from Saitama Sakae who proceeded to face each other. . Gounoyama at first  faced Makushita and lower guys for 15 bouts going 11-4. Then he proceeded to face the big boys. 0-5 against Takayasu and 3-3 against Kotoshouhou, altogether 7-11 in his first degeiko experience. 

Ouhou was 7-10 against the sekitori. 

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

8 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

New Juryo Gouyama

Whou?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

It has come to my attention that Kotoshouhou was 7-7 against Takayasu and others yesterday. So I am passing this along to everyone. Also, Kotonowaka was 8-6 and one tie. "I started off slowly but got better as the session progressed," he said. 

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Relentless Takayasu continues his live tour of heyas and visited heya number 4- Arashio yesterday.  He faced Wakatakakage, visiting Abi and others for 12 bouts. Kiribayama was there as well. "Everyone is strong here so it's fun. There is a lot to gain by facing all types of rikishi.."  said, Takayasu  again. Wakatakakage was 5-4 and said the same thing..

20220619s00005000143000p_view.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

I seldom hear of juryo visitors for deigeko.  Do they participate or is it essentially a makuuchi only activity?

2 hours ago, Asojima said:

I seldom hear of juryo visitors for deigeko.  Do they participate or is it essentially a makuuchi only activity?

They do, just not much reported by the media (focus on hype rikishi & sanyaku).

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Kiribayama is doing a lot of training. Yesterday he was at Oitekaze beya, having 21 bouts (15-6) with the likes of Takakeishou and Daieishou. "It's been a while so I had great fun.." he said. He started off winning 9 straight against Tobizaru, Endou and Daieishou, then went on to beating Takakeishou 4-2. 18 consecutive bouts. "No fatigue at all. I'm still young," he explained. Tobizaru OTOH said "It's too hot-I do 2-3 bouts and I'm exhausted.. I'm in awe of Kiribayama's strength and stamina.." "I wanted to do more," summed the energetic Kiribayama. Two more degeiko days left till the ban returns.

Takakeishou and Kiribayama with the ladle.

20220620s00005000529000p_view.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Shimanoumi got married  a few days ago.  Today he was present at keiko and was 10-6, going 4-1 against Juryo Churanoumi and Hidenoumi. He missed kachikoshi by one win last basho. "I shall be collecting that debt," he promised.  His new wife is supportive and encourages him to do good Sumo and stay healthy. "I can really concentrate on sumo now that she has my back. She is an excellent cook as well!" he enthused.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

As big a worry is his wife and kids.

Edited by Seiyashi

Takayasu  did a lot of degeiko. All of his opponents were tested negative.