Sign in to follow this  
Gaijingai

Natsu Backstory

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

So Houshouryuu is chopped liver?

He's sort of been doing barely more than required to hold on to his komusubi rank, so he hasn't had the kind of explosive performance that the sanshō trio were commended for this time round. As long as he keeps improving he's due to pop off in a basho or two.

Overall a good write up except for a couple of typos :-O

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

He's sort of been doing barely more than required to hold on to his komusubi rank, so he hasn't had the kind of explosive performance that the sanshō trio were commended for this time round. As long as he keeps improving he's due to pop off in a basho or two.

I mean generally. Isn't he someone "to look out for"? I mean, as the next Yokozuna and all?  Asahouryuu's first two basho as komusubi were 8-7 and 7-8 (his last ever real makekoshi). Nephew was 8-7 twice. Yes, it took Asa 15 bashos to get there compared to Houshouryuu's 24, but as a sanyaku, for now, Houshouryuu is doing better. Hiro was talking about "future stars" and not of May performances when dealing with Kotonowaka et al and not even mentioning Houshouryuu? Come now...

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

... I mean, as the next Yokozuna and all?  ...

Is that 'next', as in 'not the next'?

Posted (edited)

I would not say Hoshoryu is doing better than Asa for now, considering Asa earned yokozuna promotion and had 2Y, 2J, and 6 sansho at the same point in his career. Just limiting it to the first 2 sanyaku basho (Asa's 4th and 5th makuuchi basho) ignores that context.

That said, Hosh's ranked way higher than anyone else his age, and he has KK'd in both of his sanyaku tournaments, whereas so many rikishi bomb it out in their sanyaku debut. At 23, his results and I'd say the eye test suggest very good potential for going beyond lower sanyaku. 

Edited by Katooshu

37 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

I would not say Hoshoryu is doing better than Asa for now, considering Asa earned yokozuna promotion and had 2Y, 2J, and 6 sansho at the same point in his career. Just limiting it to the first 2 sanyaku basho (Asa's 4th and 5th makuuchi basho) ignores that context.

That said, Hosh's ranked way higher than anyone else his age, and he has KK'd in both of his sanyaku tournaments, whereas so many rikishi bomb it out in their sanyaku debut. At 23, his results and I'd say the eye test suggest very good potential for going beyond lower sanyaku. Granted some people went really wild with hyping him and by their timeline he should be ozeki already, but overall he's doing very well and I don't understand the criticism.

Of course I'm only talking about his first two Komusubi bashos, ignoring the context on purpose, of course.  Hiro's not mentioning him at all is my beef. Grossly unfair , even if Houshouryuu was greatly overhyped. From any objective viewpoint, he should have been mentioned. At least.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Is that 'next', as in 'not the next'?

The next. We shall see. 

2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Of course I'm only talking about his first two Komusubi bashos, ignoring the context on purpose, of course.  Hiro's not mentioning him at all is my beef. Grossly unfair , even if Houshouryuu was greatly overhyped. From any objective viewpoint, he should have been mentioned. At least.

Its fair to say Hōshōryū was overhyped.

Its also fair to say he deserved a mention given that he has managed to hold on to K.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I mean generally. Isn't he someone "to look out for"? I mean, as the next Yokozuna and all?

Didn't you hear the Grand Sumo Breakdown Ozeki song? There will be no more Yokozuna!

But yes definitely Hoshoryu rates a mention if e.g. Wakamotoharu does.

• Like 1

I'm always amazed at sansho pics. They look totally different compared to how they appear on the dohyo! Sadanoumi should be 'slimmer', Takanosho 'bigger', Daieisho 'rounder'.

Re: Hosh. He's been quite helpless against Terunofuji. Needs to fix that. But somewhat good showing (and uncle-frown) in sanyaku so far indeed.

Posted (edited)

"The three ozeki once again failed to meet the high standards expected of their respected rank."

Not true about Mitakeumi - his only previous ozeki basho was a deep yusho run with double digit wins. He'd never failed to meet the rank's high standards.

Edited by Koorifuu

Posted (edited)
On 28/05/2022 at 07:33, Koorifuu said:

"The three ozeki once again failed to meet the high standards expected of their respected rank."

Not true about Mitakeumi - his only previous ozeki basho was a deep yusho run with double digit wins. He'd never failed to meet the rank's high standards.

He's actually been Ozeki in our minds since 2018.

Edited by Gurowake

14 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

It might be necessary for him to not clear kadoban, so he can go back to his run of Ozeki-level sumo.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Gurowake said:

Sure, I won't ever dispute that! But if he's going to get bollocked for failing to live up to a rank he didn't officially have, might as well have the perks. :-P

Edited by Koorifuu