Akinomaki

Aki 2022 discussion (results)

The next Tokyo basho will again have a limit of about 87% (9265) for the number of spectators allowed, the following regional basho in Kyushu again with full capacity like Nagoya, 6976 for the Fukuoka kokusai center. Shibatayama about the differences: "The oyakata in charge of ticket sales had the idea, watching the development of spectators."

Eating and drinking at the seats is allowed now, even alcohol, about 1 bottle of sake.http://www.daily.co.jp/general/2022/05/26/0015334083.shtml

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The gomen-fuda for the Aki basho has been put in place on the 26th

FbDkJ_laMAAcv64?format=jpg

• Like 1

On 30/08/2022 at 07:36, Seiyashi said:

Any word on this - or other COVID measures - after the debacle that was Nagoya? 

The NSK basho pages don't mention COVID measures anymore, and in red the end of it: that there will be no space anymore between any type of seats - looks like any ordinary basho now, just no tickets for the day. It is not yet decided if tickets will be on sale at the kokugikan, you can order tickets by telephone, which was not possible last year. The changes still applying are that one has to be 16 to be allowed to sit in the tamari seats - and the explanations for the proper behavior in the tamari seats don't mention that eating and drinking is not allowed there, which was the case in the past, but needn't be mentioned when eating and drinking was forbidden at all seats. I don't think though that it is an indicator that it might get interdicted again.

Ticket sales are still sluggish, also day 15 has no sellout yet https://sumo.pia.jp/vacant/va09.jsp

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Inside Sport Japan said:

Hearing that no one tested positive today in Shikoroyama, Takasago, Sakaigawa, or Miyagino stables.

Everyone concerned should be able to participate in the autumn tournament

No kyujo in juryo and above for Corona reasons https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2022/09/09/kiji/20220909s00005000248000c.html

and Abi would have been able to enter, had he not injured his ankle and elbows, his late kyujo notice led to the torikumi for days 1 and 2 to be redone. https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2022/09/09/kiji/20220909s00005000381000c.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

On 02/09/2022 at 05:29, Hoshotakamoto said:

I don't know if this was posted elsewhere but I just realized that Asanoyama and Ishiura probably can't both get promoted back to Juryo in a single shot, which feels like bad luck for Ishiura, who competed in his last match at a career high rank of M5.

Moot now as Ishiura is reported absent.

Dohyo matsuri today

202209100000373-w200_3.jpgo 202209100000373-w200_1.jpgo 202209100000373-w200_2.jpgo b_15628202.jpgo 20220910at46S_t.jpgo 202209100000373-w200_0.jpgo cd255076940461d46be8189908b4d548-361x450.jpgo

yusho portrait presentation of the 2 recent winners, both from Tottori Johoku high school

4.jpgo 4.jpgo   4.jpgo 9.jpg9.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Heads up, the NSK leaked the results early and Shodai wins the yusho. The puzzling part is how he stills ends up kadoban. 

Edited by Benevolance
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Benevolance said:

Heads up, the NSK leaked the results early and Shodai wins the yusho. The puzzling part is how he stills ends up kadoban. 

That's theoretically possible.  I've definitely thought about the possibility in the past of MK records winning the yusho.  You would need a bunch of rikishi to withdraw after getting many wins and few losses.  At some point the number of withdrawals would be pretty excessive, but we've already seen how it might happen.

29 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

That's theoretically possible.  I've definitely thought about the possibility in the past of MK records winning the yusho.  You would need a bunch of rikishi to withdraw after getting many wins and few losses.  At some point the number of withdrawals would be pretty excessive, but we've already seen how it might happen.

You don't have to be present at the end to win...

• Like 1

Shodai ain't no quitter! He'll EARN those losses, because he's got Ozeki Pride (TM). 

1 hour ago, Reonito said:

You don't have to be present at the end to win...

So?  If everyone withdraws when they get a 7th win, the winner can't have more than 7 wins. 

29 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

So?  If everyone withdraws when they get a 7th win, the winner can't have more than 7 wins. 

Just places additional constraints on a scenario in which lots of rikishi withdraw with no more than 7 wins and a big W-L differential, and then anyone remaining doesn't exceed 7 wins, even by fusen.

Just places additional constraints on a scenario in which lots of rikishi withdraw with no more than 7 wins and a big W-L differential, and then anyone remaining doesn't exceed 7 wins, even by fusen.

You can't win by fusen if you withdraw too.

50 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

You can't win by fusen if you withdraw too.

I don't have any idea what would happen if everyone withdrew before day 15 with 7 wins or fewer, but somehow I don't see a yusho being awarded in that scenario. Perhaps more in the realm of plausibility, what would happen if two wrestlers were tied for the most wins, and neither was available for a playoff?

I don't have any idea what would happen if everyone withdrew before day 15 with 7 wins or fewer, but somehow I don't see a yusho being awarded in that scenario. Perhaps more in the realm of plausibility, what would happen if two wrestlers were tied for the most wins, and neither was available for a playoff?

You just get a few people to get out to 7-0 and withdraw, and that will give a large excess of losses over wins among the people that remain.  With 42 rikishi in the division, if you want them to all end on 7 wins, you have 5 go 7-0, giving an excess of 35 wins over losses, then the other 35 go 7-8.  While I admit that the torikumi makers will try their best to force there to be rikishi with a large number of wins, with enough collusion you shouldn't need very many additional people to withdraw.  I'm fairly sure that regardless of how the matches are done, as long as the rikishi know the matches of the next day during their fights, they can arrange their results one day such that it's possible for no one to win on both days.  Since the second day's match results are forced in that way, they can only do this every other day, but that's enough to prevent the torikumi makers from necessarily causing wins to accumulate.  At least, enough to cause there not need to be a huge raft of withdrawals to enforce the 7 win cap.  I do admit that the fact that the Day 15 torikumi is not done until after Day 14 results makes it a bit harder, and that wasn't a thing that happened back when I first thought about this, but I think as long as most days the rikishi know the next day's schedule they should be able to collaborate to have relatively few withdrawals.

If you think it would require a huge amount of withdrawals to work, we can have a little game where I play as 42 rikishi collaborating and you play as the torikumi committee trying to force as many people to withdraw by accumulating 7 wins, and we'll see what we come up with. 

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 1

Not sure if this belongs in this thread, but in looking at the TV Japan schedule for the Aki Basho, I noticed that there's a program called "SUMO INSIDE OUT" that's on Sun, Sept 11, at 6:10 PM Central US Time (50 minutes long).  It's also on again Mon, Sept 12, at midnight Central US Time.  (I can't tell if the second airing is a repeat or not).  I can't find any other times that it's on in the next 2 weeks.

1 hour ago, sumojoann said:

Not sure if this belongs in this thread, but in looking at the TV Japan schedule for the Aki Basho, I noticed that there's a program called "SUMO INSIDE OUT" that's on Sun, Sept 11, at 6:10 PM Central US Time (50 minutes long).  It's also on again Mon, Sept 12, at midnight Central US Time.  (I can't tell if the second airing is a repeat or not).  I can't find any other times that it's on in the next 2 weeks.

That is the Kisenosato’s program. They analyses the data on ozumo bouts. This basho’s theme is mawashi.

we usually post links about it in the sumo program thread.

• Thanks 1

Kitanofuji on the NHK broadcast, after Chiyoshoma lost via  sashichigae:

"Guess he grew his mage out a little too long." 

• Haha 4

Atamifuji finally gets to wear an oicho-mage, just that his topknot is precariously balanced on the top of his skull.

for contrast, aite Chiyonokuni’s topknot rest along the back of his skull closer to the medulla 

There were a few let-down matches in Juryo but I'm happy with the start to Makuuchi today. 3 good spectacles in a row, Yutakayama's match being the first. Oho's monoii was incredibly close, I was thinking torinaoshi would be in order. Ichiyamamoto proves that the circumstances causing him massive underpromotion over the last 3 basho are not holding him down - I expect a big performance from him again this time out. 

Also Abema seems to have some shiny new graphics when introducing wrestlers, haven't taken a good look yet but they seem informative enough.

Wakamotoharu!!

This guy's the real deal... that was amazing. I wish they'd checked whether his heel touched down, but perhaps it was obvious from the shimpan's angle.

• Like 1