Akinomaki

Aki 2022 discussion (results)

8 hours ago, Octofuji said:

Kitanifuji said the fact that Ura was the aggressor might have stopped the dead body rule applying. Still looked like they were out at the same time to me.

From my view of the slo-mo, he saved himself by one of his patented in-air rolls.  Instead of putting his hand down, he tucked it in and made another quarter-turn before landing.  Is that instinctive, or something that he practices?

11 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

Shukun-sho for Tamawashi and Tobizaru (conditional)

Kanto-Sho for Takayasu and Hokutofuji (conditional)

Gino-Sho for Wakatakage

Wakatakakage has been a frequent subscriber to the gino-sho and couldn't be more well deserved IMHO. Let's hope that he makes himself ineligible for sansho soon. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rzombie1988 said:

I knew Tamawashi was winning this when he was in the lead at Day 9.

Hokutofuji was in the lead on day 9 of this basho.

• Like 1

Former sanyaku prospect Tomokaze seems to have hit a wall in his return to salaried levels: 2-5 MK at Ms2. I wish it is only a minor setback in his return to Makuuchi.

• Sad 2

Well, I guess we can say for Mitakeumi's quick demotion, much like with Tochinoshin's, it's not like there was any skepticism as to whether he deserved the promotion.  While not nearly as strong as Tochinoshin's promotion, Mitakeumi clearly hit all the right notes with his promotion run, getting 33 wins with increasing numbers and capped with a Yusho.  It seems much like Tochinoshin as well that his fitness seemed to take a hit almost immediately upon promotion.  It's sad, but at least he made it to the rank, which we all doubted was possible for a long time. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

Well, I guess we can say for Mitakeumi's quick demotion, much like with Tochinoshin's, it's not like there was any skepticism as to whether he deserved the promotion.  While not nearly as strong as Tochinoshin's promotion, Mitakeumi clearly hit all the right notes with his promotion run, getting 33 wins with increasing numbers and capped with a Yusho.  It seems much like Tochinoshin as well that his fitness seemed to take a hit almost immediately upon promotion.  It's sad, but at least he made it to the rank, which we all doubted was possible for a long time. 

And depending on the exact nature of his injuries and recovery, I wouldn't rule him out for 10 in November.

• Like 1

Covid in July must've been really hard on Mitakeumi, who likes to hit hard and win off a strong, explosive tachiai and quick follow-up drives aided by that momentum. He looked quite fatigued towards the end of this tourney.

1 minute ago, Fukuyamada said:

Covid in July must've been really hard on Mitakeumi, who likes to hit hard and win off a strong, explosive tachiai and quick follow-up drives aided by that momentum. He looked quite fatigued towards the end of this tourney.

It's easy to forget that COVID has a range of effects/damages from none to long term disability.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Seems it was 3 right at the end.

That's what I remember, and the db agrees, sort of.  Izutsu seemed to have been a real circus the last 10-15 years.

It appears that when Kakuryu broke into Makuuchi in 2006, there were(I think) 11 other active rikishi in the heya, only three having made as high as Makushita.  By 2010 there were eight.  After 2010 only four new recruits, none lasting more than 2 years. At the closing of Izutsu there were 3 active rikishi (Hagane, HD 3/2000; Kakutaiki, HD 3/2006; Kakuryu. HD 11/2001) and the mysterious Ounabara, who (somehow) has been banzuke-gai for 30 straight basho stretching back to 2017.

Congrats to Tamawashi! I'm not sure if anyone else noticed, but his only losses were to the Onami brothers. When was the last time we had a yusho winner lose only to two brothers? My guess would have to be Akebono or Musashimaru during the era of the Hanada brothers

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

Congrats to Tamawashi! 

Was just about to post the same. Since I started following sumo, Tamawashi's consistently shown the talent to win a yusho—the question was always if his weathered body and his stable's political clout could hold up over the full 15, and they finally have. Well deserved, he finished off his last two opponents with the utmost coolness. I don't expect him to take another one, but I'd imagine looking at this banzuke might start giving him ideas, to which I say, why not, go for it. 

If I was another rikishi (anywhere close to the sanyaku) I'd be pissed off tho. Tamawashi's skills are legit, but there's a reason 37 year olds don't usually cruise to yushos. Riskishi with similar skills but who are in the heart of their physical prime should be out of his league, but the top of this banzuke is mostly too untested, too small, too injured, and/or too unskilled for that to be the case. Needless to say, I hope this changes soon.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, LifeisaDragon said:

his stable's political clout

What has this got to do with anything? 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

It seems we have a visitor from that other sumo forum

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, hakutorizakura said:

Congrats Tamawashi!! Takayasu tried his best, but no stopping beast-mode Tama. Hope his sansho photo is not as sad as last time :-D

https://mobile.twitter.com/sumokyokai/status/1574028594539810817

You'll be glad to know it wasn't. There's also a picture of him congratulating Tamawashi in the shitaku; it'll probably turn up in Akinomaki's photo digests sooner or later. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

His earlier post in this thread is also riddled with scripts.

34 minutes ago, LifeisaDragon said:

Tamawashi's consistently shown the talent to win a yusho—the question was always if his weathered body and his stable's political clout could hold up over the full 15, and they finally have. 

Hate to be the "well, actually" guy, but he won one back in 2019.

Welcome to the forum, though.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Gurowake said:

Somewhere down the tunnels of memory, I can still hear a faint echo muttering... "Mitakeumi's going to bring stability to the rank... rank... rank..."

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Koorifuu said:

Somewhere down the tunnels of memory, I can still hear a faint echo muttering... "Mitakeumi's going to bring stability to the rank... rank... rank..."

Given his record? He should have.  Does he have a kabu? Maybe he's ready t retire. 

9 minutes ago, Rocks said:

Given his record? He should have.  Does he have a kabu? Maybe he's ready t retire. 

As far as public knowledge goes, he doesn't. But that's a huge 'if'.

Edited by Koorifuu

18 minutes ago, Rocks said:

Does he have a kabu?

Endo and Okinoumi are the only active rikishi with kabu, at least officiailly.

3 hours ago, Millwood said:

It's easy to forget that COVID has a range of effects/damages from none to long term disability.

Not for me. I was reeling for a year.

1 hour ago, Churaumi said:

Hate to be the "well, actually" guy, but he won one back in 2019.

Welcome to the forum, though.

I know. I wasn't around to watch it tho, and he was three years younger then.

1 hour ago, rhyen said:

Yeah, I"m a relatively new fan so I should probably keep that to a minimum. There's lots of ways to win a sumo match and only a few of them are really controversial. All the internet debates about things like henka and working matches (what constitutes them, how much they occur, whether they're good or bad, etc.) have already been had to death, and it's not really my place to sound off on them here.

1 hour ago, rhyen said:

ACKshully, I found this twitter post suggesting that Isegahama and Sadogatake had a sit-down with Tagonoura (with the blessing of Hakkaku) and told him the power had shifted -- Takayasu was going to hqve to lose this one.  Here's the tweet:

https://twitter.com/kotttone/status/1573896133797359617

Edit: Er, wait, Google Translate may have screwed up a little bit.  Is there any way to erase a post?