Sign in to follow this  
WAKATAKE

YDC Meeting Natsu 2022

Recommended Posts

High praises for Terunofuji from all members. Were worried when Terunofuji was 5-3, but glad that he stuck it out and produced a record fitting of his rank. Want the ozeki and sekiwake to look to him as an example

On the flip side, criticism of all three ozeki. They are right below the yokozuna and should be the "front line defense" against other challengers. A 9-6 ozeki is now a strong ozeki

Certain members also felt the NSK should have nixed the Terunofuji vs Mitakeumi match, and put him against someone stronger

Lastly, the YDC wants the NSK to start allowing degeiko as soon as possible

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202205230001239.html

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202205230001199.html

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

Certain members also felt the NSK should have nixed the Terunofuji vs Mitakeumi match, and put him against someone stronger

Not just me thinking that a yusho being decided against an already MK player was pretty poor scheduling. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Jejima said:

Not just me thinking that a yusho being decided against an already MK player was pretty poor scheduling. 

That will be forgotten very soon, but a hiramaku yusho would have been yet another sore thumb sticking out of the current mess.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:
30 minutes ago, Jejima said:

Not just me thinking that a yusho being decided against an already MK player was pretty poor scheduling. 

That will be forgotten very soon, but a hiramaku yusho would have been yet another sore thumb sticking out of the current mess.

I wonder what other yūshō within the living memory of the Forum would be considered cheap ones. Not to knock anyone, but I've seen it said that Terunofuji's M17 yūshō was a bit of a gimme as well, and I wonder how many, if any, of, e.g. Hakuhō's yūshō were cheap ones, as it were.

Edited by Seiyashi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jejima said:

Not just me thinking that a yusho being decided against an already MK player was pretty poor scheduling. 

Easy to say, but what was the alternative?  Teru could have had Sadanoumi, but then who do you put against Takanosho? Only available rikishi with something to fight for were 7-7 Nishikigi and Shimanoumi. Even with a losing record an ozeki seems a better option to put against a yokozuna.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Asapedroryu said:

Easy to say, but what was the alternative?  Teru could have had Sadanoumi, but then who do you put against Takanosho? Only available rikishi with something to fight for were 7-7 Nishikigi and Shimanoumi. Even with a losing record an ozeki seems a better option to put against a yokozuna.

If Ura had won Day 14 and hadn't withdrawn, he would have been a reasonable opponent.  But he was not available at all, so that was off the table entirely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

I wonder what other yūshō within the living memory of the Forum would be considered cheap ones. Not to knock anyone, but I've seen it said that Terunofuji's M17 yūshō was a bit of a gimme as well, and I wonder how many, if any, of, e.g. Hakuhō's yūshō were cheap ones, as it were.

cough Tokushoryu cough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Reonito said:

cough Tokushoryu cough

Cheap yusho or no, that's the most insane thing I've seen in my time watching sumo and I'm not sure I can imagine something less likely occurring. It was like a man with no legs climbing a mountain. A small mountain, but a mountain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, just_some_guy said:

Cheap yusho or no, that's the most insane thing I've seen in my time watching sumo and I'm not sure I can imagine something less likely occurring. It was like a man with no legs climbing a mountain. A small mountain, but a mountain.

Rarities like that are what keep people coming back for years afterwards -- as long as they are rarities.  That basho should be "the exception that proves (probes) the rule"; we're in trouble if it becomes "the exception that represents the rule."

My favorite trivia bit from Hatsu 2020 is that Tokushoryu's only loss was to Kaisei, and not with his standard yorikiri, but with an oshidashi.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

I wonder how many, if any, of, e.g. Hakuhō's yūshō were cheap ones, as it were.

I nominate the 2016 Spring Tournament in which Hakuho used a cheap tsukiotoshi against Harumafuji to avoid a loss that would have resulted in a playoff against Kisenosato.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, just_some_guy said:

Cheap yusho or no, that's the most insane thing I've seen in my time watching sumo and I'm not sure I can imagine something less likely occurring. It was like a man with no legs climbing a mountain. A small mountain, but a mountain.

A man with no legs can also climb the highest mountain of them all....

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44112710

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, just_some_guy said:

You know, as soon as I typed that I wondered if someone had actually done it. He's clearly the Tokushoryu of mountain climbing. :-D

 ... or maybe Tokushoryu is the Xia Boyu of Sumo.  Er, no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this