Sign in to follow this  
Kaminariyuki

Honbasho in person sometime soon!

I am surprised to not see a thread on this already, as I know some of you are as keen as I to get back to Japan and watch a basho in person. It has probably been announced somewhere else in SF, but I'm not hunting it down. I'm super keen to watch some amazumo on my next trip, and if all goes well, it could easily be Aki or Kyushu for me this year. Here's a JT article from late last week:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2022/05/06/national/japan-border-controls-g7/

• Like 1

The wife and I had a trip scheduled for March of 2020. Of course, that never happened. We plan on trying to go again this fall but the strict tourist rules may prevent the trip. We would like to see her family but I don't think a fixed itinerary would allow that to happen. :-S

7 minutes ago, Kishinoyama said:

The wife and I had a trip scheduled for March of 2020. Of course, that never happened. We plan on trying to go again this fall but the strict tourist rules may prevent the trip. We would like to see her family but I don't think a fixed itinerary would allow that to happen. :-S

Hopefully, by fall they will have returned to something closer to normal. We shall see. No possibility I'm going to Japan with an organized tour myself. Not even if I get to lead the group, which would only be happening with a study abroad group (done that once back in 2016 and I'd rather go in 2022 unburdened by responsibility and obligation). Seems like the government is set to favor the Chinese since they travel predominantly in that manner. Not sure what other nationalities might also lean heavily toward group tours but I don't personally know any Americans who have visited Japan in that manner, although I'm sure there are many.

• Thanks 1

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/japan-test-tourism-package-tours-reopening-may-2689346

As far as I know the experiments are with package tours from four countries: US, AU, TH, and SG. If this means tourists from those four countries are also given priority when it comes to free and easy tours, I'm down for it as well. 

Which bashō is a different question altogether, though. My schedule may only permit the Fukuoka bashō, but things may change in a hurry. I would have much preferred to see a Tōkyō bashō in the Kokugikan, but work calls perforce. Would be nice if we could arrange some SF in person meetups, though.

Re CN - JP might well favour them, but it's very difficult for Chinese nationals to travel now due to their own government's strict coronavirus rules.

10 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Re CN - JP might well favour them, but it's very difficult for Chinese nationals to travel now due to their own government's strict coronavirus rules.

Ah, excellent point. I hadn't thought about that but I know you're correct. 

If we both make it to Kyushu, the first round is on me. The Kyushu basho is a lot of fun. One almost often sees rikishi walking around town and the smaller venue has it's merits. I recall being amazed when I went to the WC at one point and three of the shinpan were there. It's close enough to a high school gym that there are clearly inadequacies, like sufficient facilities but I thought it was a wonderful sumo viewing experience. Never mind that the ramen blew my mind. It's one of my favorite islands in Japan and it's worth an extended trip to just visit this island, IMO. I was thinking about combining it with South Korea, though, which I've never visited.   

Yeah with the restrictions still in place it's far too early for me to even consider planning a trip. maybe in a year or two.

• Like 1

Its been far too long since I got back there so its on my list.

Fortunately now I know someone in JNTO office over here so I'll keep listening for changes