Sign in to follow this  
Fujisan

Solitaire question

Since my childhood I have been playing two solitaitaire games alternating between the two,at first using real cards andnow on the inernet  .

Or at least I would if I coulld remember the games names.

I know one is Klondike solitaire but I dont know what the name of the other game is.

If I descri be it best I  can maybe someone might recognise it.

You start by place one card face up,then 4 cards face up underneath it,then you put 13 cards on the side in a pack face down.

When thats done you  use the cards left in your hand to build up the bottom 4 cards in order( 2,3,4 for ginstance)alternating black,red,black red . The top card  you build up by suit.

If  you open up a space you replenish it from the pack.

The object of the game is to,place all your cards on the top line.

Although I keep playing it its  nearly impossible  to finish ..

I've completed it,maybe 6 time in my life.

So there's one random card face up at the top and four random cards placed next to each other below that, and you build from there? How does this help you build the suits at the top? I've played a variant of this above-and-below-the-line solitaire where you make pairings and build suits on the top piles as you described, but the setup is somewhat different. You can move up each Ace as found to start 4 different piles for each suit "above the line."

14 minutes ago, Yarimotsu said:

So there's one random card face up at the top and four random cards placed next to each other below that, and you build from there? How does this help you build the suits at the top? I've played a variant of this above-and-below-the-line solitaire where you make pairings and build suits on the top piles as you described, but the setup is somewhat different. You can move up each Ace as found to start 4 different piles for each suit "above the line."

The first card is random,unlike most Solitaire games which use an ace to build on.

Lets say you deal a jack as your base card,you have to build on the Jack just the same way you do with an ace in klondike...(Jack,queen,king etc)  

If  you play a Jack in your hand or from the pack , it joins the other Jack \s on the top line.

2 minutes ago, Fujisan said:

The first card is random,unlike most Solitaire games which use an ace to build on.

Lets say you deal a jack as your base card,you have to build on the Jack just the same way you do with an ace in klondike...(Jack,queen,king etc)  

If  you play a Jack in your hand or from the pack , it joins the other Jack \s on the top line.

Ahh, well given that information I don't have any further anecdotes to help. It seems to be a variation of Sir Tommy / Old Patience... The wikipedia article mentions the names of some more difficult variants but doesn't have links for them so you could explore more there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Tommy . There are many variations as this is considered the original form of solitaire.

26 minutes ago, Yarimotsu said:

Ahh, well given that information I don't have any further anecdotes to help. It seems to be a variation of Sir Tommy / Old Patience... The wikipedia article mentions the names of some more difficult variants but doesn't have links for them so you could explore more there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Tommy . There are many variations as this is considered the original form of solitaire.

Thanks for trying but I have found  a more likely game 

Its called Acme.