Sign in to follow this  
Hoshotakamoto

March Madness (makushita) - May version

I posted this in a thread back in March. Here is the updated bracket for Makushita (speculative - a Juryo can always come in and wipe out a chunk of it) after 2 opening rounds of Makushita action.

SP8xE1v.png

• Thanks 1

Clash of the titans in a couple hours, Kinbozan vs Hokuseiho (Punkrocker...)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Katooshu said:

Clash of the titans in a couple hours, Kinbozan vs Hokuseiho (Punkrocker...)

Lived up to its billing!

• Like 1

Hokuseiho needs to run through a couple more of my favorites! Also I'm realizing I really want to post the 1-loss bracket to keep this fresh and interesting.

Is there another post in the forums about that Asonoyama/Kiryuko match?

MUabSpi.png

Once again I have goofed this up with the assistance of Tokitsukaze. Asonoyama should be facing Ms51 Tokisoma who was moved into a lower matchup on account of Yoshii's involvement in the last round.

Looks like Oshoma v Kanzaki for the yusho. I am going with Oshoma as the prize of promotion might give him the edge in motivation.

There you go Kitaharima, I've jinxed the pair of them for you mate!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Looks like Oshoma v Kanzaki for the yusho. I am going with Oshoma as the prize of promotion might give him the edge in motivation.

There you go Kitaharima, I've jinxed the pair of them for you mate!

Kanzaki has a lot of momentum, and this could be his one big chance to make the Juryo impact necessary before Asanoyama goes 21-0 or something lmao. 

Posted (edited)

Both guys have strengths that exploit the other's weaknesses pretty well. In college Kanzaki could be a bit more prone to underperforming than Oshoma, but he did very well in his final year and that form's carried over to ozumo, so maybe he's gotten over it.  

Can't recall them meeting in college despite them being active for 3 years together, so I'm very interested in how it would play out.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 3

Here is the top of several "one-loss" brackets, where obviously Oshoma and Hokuseiho have been appearing all over the place. Notable is the fact that I had to leave two 6-1 runs off of this bracket because they belonged to guys Tomokaze has already beaten, so he will have to get an opponent further down the banzuke (probably Tsurubayashi).

Also if Oshoma loses his semi-final it is conceivable that he may face a Chiyosakae or Kinbozan, and if Tomokaze loses his next match then lots of possibilities are open.

bMwz952.png

Second bracket of one-loss contenders. I presumed that Oshoma would beat Tochiseiryu and relegate Tochiseiryu to face the other 4-1 vs 4-1 winner. On the other hand if Oshoma loses then see the previous post.
kls0G9k.png

Tochiseiryu has been 6-0 five times in his career, but never gotten that final win. I wonder what the record is for that....

20 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

Tochiseiryu has been 6-0 five times in his career, but never gotten that final win. I wonder what the record is for that....

I think that might be the record.

Assuming I did the query right.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

I thought about doing a mini-feature on Tochiseiryu and discussing all the names he has dueled with (starting with a 6-0 vs 6-0 loss to Shodai in Jonokuchi). Might include it below.

Edited by Hoshotakamoto

2 hours ago, Hoshotakamoto said:

I thought about doing a mini-feature on Tochiseiryu and discussing all the names he has dueled with (starting with a 6-0 vs 6-0 loss to Shodai in Jonokuchi). Might include it below.

Literally each one of them 6-0 duals eventually made it to Sekitori. Like a rite of passage of sorts lmao.

• Like 1

Didn't mean to stop posting these last night. The "third" 6-1 bracket. Notice that Tamashoho cannot face the two guys that he already faced from the other side. However I am speculating that Mukainakano will beat Tamashoho anyway and face the winner of Nionoumi / Oshoryu. If Tamashoho wins he will have to find another opponent.

Ab3euqi.png

The placement of this bracket implicitly makes two assumptions (1) that Kitaharima will not advance to the finals (I've just got a feeling), and (2) that Dewanoryu will advance past Nishinoryu in the one-loss bracket. If those are incorrect guesses then more things have to be moved around (Kanzaki would face someone lower on the banzuke for 5-1 vs 5-1, and Kitaharima cannot face Nishinoryu for a rematch).

gMDDJKr.png

Submitting this as the final bracket with apologies to Hoshuzan who is also currently 4-1 and who may get his final 2 wins vs Sandanme opponents. (or maybe this bracket will demand a rematch between Asonoyama and Kiryuko who didn't exactly fight to a finish the first time around...)

OWL2Wbf.png

• Like 1

Well, here is the setup for two final day 6-1 runs on opposite ends of Makushita (both of which can be potentially denied by non-Makushita wrestlers).

Notice that the winners of course are done - they do not compete against each other :)

BZur42J.png

Here's a summary of all the 6-1 runs not listed above (excluding Kitaharima's runnerup finish to Oshoma). Obviously many of the matchups I forecasted in earlier brackets never came to fruition.

aXLZJig.png

• Thanks 1