Sign in to follow this  
Fujisan

Ridiculous predictions Natsu 2022

An Englishman turns up on day 10 and asks if they need a window cleaner but his hopes of seeing free sumo are dashed when the attendant tells him to 'sod off' in Japanese.

• Like 1

Shodai wins his remaining matches to finish 9-6 but loses the yusho in a 10 rikishi playoff. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kishinoyama said:

Shodai wins his remaining matches to finish 9-6 but loses the yusho in a 10 rikishi playoff. 

Don't be ridiculous.  He will win it, of course.

1 hour ago, Fujisan said:

An Englishman turns up on day 10 and asks if they need a window cleaner but his hopes of seeing free sumo are dashed when the attendant tells him to 'sod off' in Japanese.

One of the Tachiai podcasters notices the Englishman and turns to his mate saying, "Say, isn't that ... ?" "Nah", says the other, "he'd never travel more than fifty miles from Cleethorpes."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kishinoyama said:

In this unprecedented playoff scenario, it's decided to have a marathon round-robin to winnow out the competitors.  Shodai goes 0-9.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yamanashi said:

One of the Tachiai podcasters notices the Englishman and turns to his mate saying, "Say, isn't that ... ?" "Nah", says the other, "he'd never travel more than fifty miles from Cleethorpes."

Does going to Hull(33 miles)twice count? 

I've spent 6 weeks in hull in the last 8 years...

3 weeks in jail and 3 weeks in hospital.

I didn' t see much of the city though.;-)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Yamanashi said:

In this unprecedented playoff scenario, it's decided to have a marathon round-robin to winnow out the competitors.  Shodai goes 0-9.

Impossible! He starts 0-4 and finishes 5-4 or 4-5 (Yawning...)

18 minutes ago, Fujisan said:

Does going to Hull(33 miles)twice count? 

I've spent 6 weeks in hull in the last 8 years...

3 weeks in jail and 3 weeks in hospital.

I didn' t see much of the city though.;-)

Huh, "Kingston upon Hull".  You probably saw the best building in the city from the inside (i.e., the jail).  It's upriver, so twice as muddy, and there's more art at the Chemical Works than at the University (bunch of prats).

[Actually, I've never been there].

7 minutes ago, bettega said:

Impossible! He starts 0-4 and finishes 5-4 or 4-5 (Yawning...)

Actually, at the post-basho interview he was pretty upbeat, saying he's feeling positive about Nagoya, since he'd just gotten his MK without going kadoban.

• Haha 1

It's a pity it's probably mathematically impossible to have all rikishi MK without an entire division kyujo, but if there were a basho where the yusho was awarded to the least bad MK this would be it. 

3 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

It's a pity it's probably mathematically impossible to have all rikishi MK without an entire division kyujo, but if there were a basho where the yusho was awarded to the least bad MK this would be it. 

I hear you, brother.  While not mathematically impossible, I suppose it's almost impossible structurally, since you'd need 21 7-8 records and 21 potential 8-7's who get beaten by 21 Juryo opponents in cross-division bouts.  Pretty darn unlikely: the committee would have to see this coming by about day 9 and also the entire lower half of Makuuchi would be better (5-4) than the upper half (4-5) at that point.  Meanwhile, the gap in Juryo would need to be huge (7-2 vs 2-7) so that the committee would start feeding the top Juryo onto the 5-4 lower-rank Makuuchi.

All in all, it seems like one of those hoked-up "mate in 15" chess problems.

Now, just because it can't happen doesn't mean that it shouldn't.

• Like 1

When I was in the hospital I tried to go out and see some of Hull  but I didn't get very far though because I was caught by two security guads. 

They said

"' Excuse me sir,the nurses would like you to come back to bed..."

On 14/05/2022 at 04:45, Fujisan said:

He may be too young for my "Too old he will retiring soon" Yusho winners...(Kyokutenho,Tamawashi,Tokushoryu.)

I'm gonna open this up a bit Aoiyama loses on day 7 to Sadanoumi and it lights a fire inside Sadanoumi and he goes and wins the yusho....And he joins my "Too old he will be retiring soon"  yusho winners.

Just how close did my ridiculous prediction for Sadonoumi come to coming true?

• Like 2

On 10/05/2022 at 15:14, Benevolance said:

The yusho winner gets at least 13 wins. 

Was never gonna happen was it...