Benihana

Natsu 2022 Discussion Thread - here be spoilers

1 minute ago, RabidJohn said:

It was terrifically unfortunate that he succumbed to a career-ending injury just 1 basho after finally putting to rest his reputation as a choker.
Maybe not that specific result, but I said it for comic effect rather than as fact. 

Nowt wrong with my memory in this case.

There was this.

Kise could choke, but he also had Hakuho, Harumafuji, and Kakuryu to deal with at the end of most basho...

Incidentally, his H2H vs Terunofuji is very good.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1

A bit offtopic but I'm sad that Shohozan's career (or at least sekitorihood) ended with a bowling ball impersonation, courtesy of a 28 year old with a career high of ms2, bringing a 2-5 record to the dohyo.

That being said, Tsushimanada is no stranger to being 2-5 and yet brought on to juryo for an 8th bout on senshuraku, where he gets gifted a 3rd win via dumping an ailing, aging veteran saying goodbye to the paid divisions. He was Kyokutaisei's last nail in the coffin, last time out in Nagoya.

1 hour ago, Katooshu said:

Kise could choke, but he also had Hakuho, Harumafuji, and Kakuryu to deal with at the end of most basho...

Incidentally, his H2H vs Terunofuji is very good.

Some choking, some non-choking; either he was the perfect Ozeki all those years (wall against the lower ranks, but not top rank material himself), or he was a potential Yokozuna who could never quite pull the string.  I know that his 12/2 Jun Yusho to Yusho ratio is stunning in comparison with other Y/O since the 70's, but I can't pinpoint why.