Posted (edited)

The day is over - no chance for a ketteisen with just Mitan there to force it

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Just now, Akinomaki said:

The day is over - no chance for a ketteisen with just Shodai there to force it

*Mitakeumi but I completely agree

• Thanks 1

I liked the commentary on Abema. "Teru's yusho is not a done deal yet, Mitakeumi tries hard when there's big kensho on the line" (Laughing...)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

A-nd Sadanoumi (unexpectedly?) sukuinages Takanosho. 11-4 for both of them and a golden opportunity for Teru to bulldozer off kadoban Mitakeumi and take his seventh yusho easy. Unless Mitakeumi forces a three-way playoff by winning against Terunofuji.

Pretty sure Mitakeumi just got a visit from two extra masseuses/coaches/fans/Sadanoumi&Takanosho. Because, you know, gambarize and everything.

Edited by Hankegami

No entirely unexpected. Takanosho has the tools to become an ozeki from the neck down. Hopefully he can learn from the experience and be better mentally prepared next time.

One year ago Sadanoumi was posting a 6-9 at juryo 6 and looked to be drifting quietly towards retirement. He deserves enormous credit for turning things around at his age.

Loved Tamawashi's expression just now when Ichiyamamoto stepped out "Aww why'd you do that, I wanted to hit you some more!"

• Like 4

just saw intai announcements for Irodori and Gokushindo

Well, boo. Even if Teru wins 12-3, this will go down as his weakest yusho win so far. Happy for Sadanoumi but really wanted Teru to have to face Takanosho again for the yusho after losing to him early on.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

One year ago Sadanoumi was posting a 6-9 at juryo 6 and looked to be drifting quietly towards retirement. He deserves enormous credit for turning things around at his age.

I wonder whether Mitakeumi is willing to give a try winning against Teru just to cause an upset and a chance especially for Sadanoumi. I have the impression that the Sea Monster is quite a fellow, considering how openly he rooted for fellow veteran and half-Pinoy Takayasu last basho. He might feel the same for Sadanoumi.

But of course he could be just too unwell to pull things off. Look like he went out yesterday.

Edited by Hankegami

I know Tamawashi has a long iron man streak but is it true that he hasn't gone kyujo or missed a match since 2004? I can't see sumoDB rikishi pages rn but that is ridiculous

14 minutes ago, mt fuji said:

just saw intai announcements for Irodori and Gokushindo

So that's why Gokushindo got his shikona back.

Well … if Mitakeumi does upset Teru we get a four-man playoff now that Daieisho has beaten Shimanoumi. Come on Mita!

2 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Well … if Mitakeumi does upset Teru we get a four-man playoff now that Daieisho has beaten Shimanoumi. Come on Mita!

Don't think we've had one of those since March 1997 so yup, come on Mita!

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, mt fuji said:

I know Tamawashi has a long iron man streak but is it true that he hasn't gone kyujo or missed a match since 2004? I can't see sumoDB rikishi pages rn but that is ridiculous

And he's just fourth placed in the all-time record: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sumo_record_holders#Most_consecutive_career_bouts

The current record holder, Aobajo, didn't miss a match from 1964 to 1986, just saying. Anyway, a not secondary detail is that all these Ironmen never went higher than Sekiwake in their career. I guess that getting up to Ozeki is bad for your health.

EDIT: Not only Daeisho (11-4) but also Kiribayama is now 10-5 (bad Nephew, bad). The NSK should better make up for extra san'yaku slots or a lot of people will be under-promoted. More than usual, I mean.

Edited by Hankegami

28 minutes ago, Leo C said:

I liked the commentary on Abema. "Teru's yusho is not a done deal yet, Mitakeumi tries hard when there's big kensho on the line" (Laughing...)

LOL.  Big Kensho or not, Mitakeumi just does not have it in this basho.  The only Sanyuku he beat in this basho was the hapless Shodai.  But, I am hoping he beats Teruno.  A 4 way playoff is fun.

A four-way playoff would put some sheen on an 11-4 yusho since the winner would have had to win 13 overall, even if not officially counted.

WTK ends with a win to just about keep an Ozeki run alive with a 9-6, though he will need the July of his life to make it.

A-nd Wakatakakage managed to save at least a shred of Ozeki run by going 9-6. On the other hand, Abi is MK. I believe the oyakata are opening a champagne bottle now they can handle Daieisho his Sekiwake slot without opening new ones. For the Komusubi, on the other hand...

Just to say that the most compelling yusho I ever saw was an 11-4. Harumafuji coming back from a 2-3 start to win at Aki 2017.

1 minute ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Just to say that the most compelling yusho I ever saw was an 11-4. Harumafuji coming back from a 2-3 start to win at Aki 2017.

Was that the one Gōeidō self-destructed in?

Takakeisho’s foot out there? Shodai showing a bit of Ozeki pride anyway.

1 minute ago, Seiyashi said:
3 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Was that the one Gōeidō self-destructed in?

I suppose you could call it that, but I'm a glass half full kinda guy.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Eikokurai said:

A kick in question?

1 minute ago, Eikokurai said:

Guess not. Replays didn’t seem to focus on that so not sure if that’s what they checked. Taka saves himself from kadoban. Shame—I was rather looking forward to an Ozeki battle royale in July.

• Like 1

All tawara, but very close. Understandable they wanted to check. 

Only two Ozeki kadoban, but a combined makekoshi for the rank. Not a good Basho. 

After all that weirdness it would be fitting to get a Yokozuna Yusho.