Benihana

Natsu 2022 Discussion Thread - here be spoilers

1 minute ago, Kaninoyama said:

On the NHK broadcast the commentator speculated that the mono-ii wasn't looking at who touched out of the ring first, but rather, Tobizaru's toes appeared over about the same time Shodai's thigh touched down. From that perspective, it did appear to be a dead heat warranting a torinaoshi. 

That makes sense.  I could not see clearly but Tobi's foot appears to be crossing over.  

11 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

A good win by Teruno.  That's why I still say Terunofuji is the one to beat even though Takanosho has one win lead at this point.  

Takanosho will face Wakatakakage tomorrow. A most probably win-hungry and angry Wakatakakage. I can see Takanosho lose his bout.

However, that's not like Terunofuji has a red carpet ahead. Tomorrow he will face Takakeisho, who self-outs aside remains clearly determined to clear KK. And in the following days at least one between Mitakeumi and Shodai will fight equally hard (tomorrow Mitakeumi vs. Shodai, we'll see). Although they did poorly this basho they remain Ozeki for a reason, and Shodai demonstrates it each time he bothers to show up. They won't go down without fighting hard.

But let's be honest: in case Terunofuji and Takanosho will end up with a 12-3 playoff or something like that, my money is on Terunofuji. He lost his regular bout against Takanosho mostly because he miscalculated his distance from the ringline. Had he kept his foot inside, Terunofuji would have won with the uwatenage he was executing. I highly doubt he will make the same error twice.

• Like 2

Takonosho has to beat previous basho champion tomorow to get closer to his yusho, i like the story. Like  Hankegami said above, WTK needs the win badly tho, fun bout to come.

I guess Terunofuji will join me rooting for the Sekiwake :D As well as "cinderella story" candidates Ura and Sadanoumi

Let's hope the Ozeki's can stay out of Kadobanland.  Otherwise, they might as well be known as the Osucki's.

People putting both arms under Terunofuji's armpits has the same energy as a child who has touched the fire once and been burned, then touches the fire again to see if it is still hot.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sumojoann said:

Let's hope the Ozeki's can stay out of Kadobanland.

That hope will inevitably die in less than 23 hours.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jyuunomori said:

People putting both arms under Terunofuji's armpits has the same energy as a child who has touched the fire once and been burned, then touches the fire again to see if it is still hot.

To be fair, WTK actually still made Terunofuji work for the win despite having given up the kime hold early in the bout.

Problem is, there simply isn't anyone in the joi now who has strong enough yotsu to challenge Terunofuji. Anyone going for the inside grip gives up a half kime on one side, and either a full kime or an uwatenage follows. Neither is Terunofuji dumb enough to give up the outside grip either, as he was constantly fighting for it on the other side with WTK throughout today's bout. It really seems like the only way to beat Terunofuji is to hit him hard and fast out of the tachiai and never give him time to set himself, and even so it's not 100%, as we saw with Abi either yesterday or the day before.

Off the top of my head maybe only Endō has a hope of beating Terunofuji in yotsu, and it's sketchy at best. Mitakeumi has a chance in yori on a good day too, but that's about it.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kaninoyama said:

On the NHK broadcast the commentator speculated that the mono-ii wasn't looking at who touched out of the ring first, but rather, Tobizaru's toes appeared turned over about the same time Shodai's thigh touched down. From that perspective, it did appear to be a dead heat meriting a torinaoshi. 

We’ve seen feet go that direction a thousand times and it never be a point of contention. The whole ‘top of the foot’ thing rarely seems to actually matter. It smacks of looking for a reason to give Shodai a second chance.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, sumojoann said:

Let's hope the Ozeki's can stay out of Kadobanland.  Otherwise, they might as well be known as the Osucki's.

To be fair, this basho has been plain weird. Aside from Shodai, Mitakeumi and Takakeisho are not known to slack off.

However, IMHO the only one to have a good chance securing KK is Takakeisho. At 6-6, he can allow himself a loss against, let's say, Terunofuji and win against the others. The other two are 5-7 and tomorrow their personal death tour will start. Whoever between Mitakeumi and Shodai will go 6-7 tomorrow, he will have to fend off both Terunofuji and Takakeisho. The only chance to have 2 out of 3 Ozeki KK is Terunofuji to lose some against them. Which is possible, although facing Terunofuji on a yusho hunt is never an enjoyable experience for anyone.

Edited by Hankegami

Kiribayama and Wakamotoharu was a nice match. I'm not sure why Kiribayama tried to henka, but he recovered nicely afterwards.

Tobizaru got robbed, a shame, I always enjoy a nice ashitori victory. I still laugh when remembering Terutsuyoshi and what'shisname that one time.

Ura's victory was fun to watch.

Nice effort by Wakatakakage. I was disappointed with his performance because he lost some matches he maybe shouldn't have, but he's had a good second week showing a lot of fighting spirit and the fans are still behind him. Hopefully he gets a kachi koshi.

13 minutes ago, Leo C said:

Tobizaru got robbed, a shame, I always enjoy a nice ashitori victory. I still laugh when remembering Terutsuyoshi and what'shisname that one time.

Would have more likely been called a simple oshidashi or, at a push (pun intended), a watashikomi for the hook-and-tug on Shodai’s left thigh before the shove.

Terunofuji can now relax a bit, only the ozeki left to face.

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, lackmaker said:

Terunofuji can now relax a bit, only the ozeki left to face.

I get the joke, but in seriousness he might not even fight Mitakeumi and Shōdai this bashō the way they are going. Ura has beat Takakeishō and Sadanoumi only begins to face sanyaku opposition tomorrow. With the way things are going, either the ozeki will be asked to deal with the upstarts or Terunofuji may even have to deal with Ura himself.

Absolutely. Just couldn't resist the satirical moment.

8 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

I get the joke, but in seriousness he might not even fight Mitakeumi and Shōdai this bashō the way they are going.

I think Terunofuji will get Ura on day 14 to wait and see which of Mitakeumi/Shodai will be worth meeting on Senshuraku - if any at all.

2 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

That hope will inevitably die in less than 23 hours.

It'll take a little longer than that (perhaps not much).  Both Mitakeumi and Shodai are teed up (Kadobanland visas in hand), but Takakeisho is still waiting for his turn at the tee. ;-)

49 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

I think Terunofuji will get Ura on day 14 to wait and see which of Mitakeumi/Shodai will be worth meeting on Senshuraku - if any at all.

I thought they would want a contender fight for him on day 15 if one's available, but the more I look, the more it seems like they don't do that even if one is available. Huh. Feels like Teru/Sadanoumi if Sadanoumi were 11-3 would be fun.

Well, I am usually one of the first to criticise tategyoji Shikimori Inosuke, but today I have to give credit where credit is due.

In close bouts, he (and previous tategyoji) will err in favour of the higher-ranked elite wrestler on the ring, but amazingly, he gave Ura the win in what was a close finish involving several meters of separation between the fighters.  The monoii only confirmed that he was right in the first place.  To coin a phrase, he's still got it, or at least he seemed to still have it on this rare occasion...

The tossing of his stray slipper off the ring in the final bout was also a slick move.  Can't say I've ever seen that done before, although I'm sure he was not the first high-ranking gyoji to do it.

Sorry for spoiling this thread with politics: Natsu is the basho to award the President's cup and Biden will arrive in Japan on day 15 - will he make a surprise visit to the basho?

• Sad 1

I have the suspicion that this basho NSK has instructed rikishis to do shokkiri whenever they can. For the fans...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Sorry for spoiling this thread with politics: Natsu is the basho to award the President's cup and Biden will arrive in Japan on day 15 - will he make a surprise visit to the basho?

Is Asanoyama out yet? He'd love to receive another potus trophy, too bad he's down in makushita.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Well, I am usually one of the first to criticise tategyoji Shikimori Inosuke, but today I have to give credit where credit is due.

In close bouts, he (and previous tategyoji) will err in favour of the higher-ranked elite wrestler on the ring, but amazingly, he gave Ura the win in what was a close finish involving several meters of separation between the fighters.  The monoii only confirmed that he was right in the first place.  To coin a phrase, he's still got it, or at least he seemed to still have it on this rare occasion...

The tossing of his stray slipper off the ring in the final bout was also a slick move.  Can't say I've ever seen that done before, although I'm sure he was not the first high-ranking gyoji to do it.

Shouldn't the "dead body" rule apply here? Looking at the replay Ura was flying through the air with no part of him on the ground as Takakeisho casually stepped out.

(I don't understand the rule but can't imagine what it can be if it doesn't apply to this bout...)

Edited by Octofuji
Spelling

21 hours ago, Gospodin said:

It looks like the final sunset is imminent for Shohozan. I will miss him :-( and his charisma.

I guess he'll go on in makushita (most likely because he has no kabu). He said he has to do vigorous sumo also after a makekoshi (that makes a drop to makushita very likely). https://www.sanspo.com/article/20220519-XFIKU732XJIKNOEJIFIQL6LA7I/

• Thanks 1