Benihana

Natsu 2022 Discussion Thread - here be spoilers

Recommended Posts

If Takanosho loses to Hoshoryu and Terunofuji beats Abi, we'll have a leading pack of six after today, all on only 8 wins. That said, if Abi brings his A-game, his oshi attack might be too much for Teru this basho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They really are being overly cautious with the mono-ii now, eh? Takayasu won that by a mile. No need for the check. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

They really are being overly cautious with the mono-ii now, eh? Takayasu won that by a mile. No need for the check. 

checking for hansoku

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

 That said, if Abi brings his A-game, his oshi attack might be too much for Teru this basho.

I don't see that happening.   I think despite losing 3 already, Terunofuji is in another class by himself.  He will beat an overrated (IMO) Abi today.  

Edited by robnplunder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hokutofuji keeps his streak of alternating KK-MK basho going - at 15 now.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, robnplunder said:

I don't see that happening.   I think despite losing 3 already, Terunofuji is in another class by himself.  He will be an overrated (IMO) Abi today.  

Being 7-3 and looking shaky numerous times is an interesting way to show you're in a class by yourself.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does Mitoryu hold the record for the longest, unbroken Juryo stint?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

I don't see that happening.   I think despite losing 3 already, Terunofuji is in another class by himself.  He will beat an overrated (IMO) Abi today.  

He's obviously the favourite but Abi will have noticed his vulnerability to rapid thrusts earlier in the basho and be aiming to upset his balance from the tachiai. If he can avoid overextending, which he is prone to do, he can upset Teru.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Takanosho will be the sole leader then on 9-2. No mass pack of leaders on 8-3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Does Mitoryu hold the record for the longest, unbroken Juryo stint?  

Sawakaze had 39 straight juryo tournaments.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eikokurai said:

He's obviously the favourite but Abi will have noticed his vulnerability to rapid thrusts earlier in the basho and be aiming to upset his balance from the tachiai. If he can avoid overextending, which he is prone to do, he can upset Teru.

Yeah, Terunofuji has been upset 3 times already.  So, it can happen again.   We will know in a while.  :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Katooshu said:

Sawakaze had 39 straight juryo tournaments.

 

Gee.  Mitoryu has a long way to go to break the record.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Great stuff from Wakatakakage and Mitakeumi. WTK walks himself back off the bales knowing he had a belt grip worth defending and then used it to eke out the win. 6-5 and the double digits remain on track. Mita drops to 5-6.

Edit: I tell a lie. He'd actually surrendered the original belt grip when pushed back, but got another.

RE: his Ozeki run. Though the best WTK can hope for now is 10-5, he has beaten all three of the Ozeki in a row which pads out those numbers a bit (their own bad performances notwithstanding).

Edited by Eikokurai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mitoryu has almost broken into the top 10 though. He'll tie for 10th place if he gets 28 straight, which he's nearly at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

WakaT wanted more.  I think he beats Takanosho tomorrow.  B-)

That will be a fine achievement considering he's facing Terunofuji!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

That will be a fine achievement considering he's facing Terunofuji!

Ha ha.  Thanks for the correction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well, Abi tried, going straight for the neck as expected, but found a Terunofuji who couldn’t be pushed back. KK for the Yokozuna and in the chasing pack of five on 8-3.

Shodai evades MK for a day with a sloppy win to go to 4-7.

Edited by Eikokurai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to Shodai and Tamawashi for the shokkiri bout. I thought they only did those on the regional tours.

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Just now, Eikokurai said:

Well, Abi tried, going straight for the neck as expected, but found a Terunofuji who couldn’t be pushed back. KK for the Yokozuna and in the chasing pack of five on 8-3.

It happened just as I expected.  Abi rushes forward and Teruno easily dispatches him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

If Takanosho loses to Hoshoryu and Terunofuji beats Abi, we'll have a leading pack of six after today, all on only 8 wins. That said, if Abi brings his A-game, his oshi attack might be too much for Teru this basho.

I was anticipating both results (weird wishful thinking on my part, tbh).  

Takanosho is riding a wave of good sumo this tournament.  He's got a very decent chance of winning the yusho.  The big question is whether he will be able to hold on mentally, and not let the prospect of imminent glory screw with his concentration.

As for the Terunofuji v. Abi match, my first reaction was: there is a Yokozuna showing a pusher-thruster who has more pushing power.  Yokozuna have to be proficient at both yotsuzumo and oshizumo.  Terunofuji just showed that his oshizumo is pretty lethal when he wants it to be!

Edited by Amamaniac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

I was anticipating both results (weird wishful thinking on my part, tbh).  

Takanosho is riding a wave of good sumo this tournament.  He's got a very decent chance of winning the yusho.  The big question is whether he will be able to hold on mentally, and not let the prospect of imminent glory screw with his concentration.

As for the Terunofuji v. Abi match, my first reaction was: there is a Yokozuna showing a pusher-thruster who has more pushing power.  Yokozuna have to be proficient at both yotsuzumo and oshizumo.  Terunofuji just showed that his oshizumo is pretty lethal when he wants it to be!

He has a little margin for error. He can afford to drop one of his remaining four and still tie for a playoff with whichever of the chasers wins out til Sunday (all would end 12-3). If the five on 8-3 all lose one, Takanosho can be 50/50 and tie for an 11-4 playoff. It’s that sort of basho where this doesn’t seem so outlandish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Thanks to Shodai and Tamawashi for the shokkiri bout. I thought they only did those on the regional tours.

Yeah, clownish. Glad Shodai eked out a win but that’s not sumo worthy of the Ozeki rank, IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

He has a little margin for error. He can afford to drop one of his remaining four and still tie for a playoff with whichever of the chasers wins out til Sunday (all would end 12-3). If the five on 8-3 all lose one, Takanosho can be 50/50 and tie for an 11-4 playoff. It’s that sort of basho where this doesn’t seem so outlandish.

I'm not familiar with the big-stakes gambling world (gambling on sumo, say it isn't so), but it would be interesting to see what odds the bookies in Vegas are giving a Takanosho championship win.  As a dear friend has already mentioned in this thread, sumo wins and losses are not merely a coin toss.  It would be most interesting to know what algorithm the bookies use.  They are clearly more invested in the prediction game than the great minds in this Forum. ;-)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well,  i doubt Takanosho will ever have a chance like this to win a yush again! Let's see if i he can do it. Terunofuji, even not at his best, is still right behind him

Nice fight between Wakatakakage and Mitakeumi today :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now