Benihana

Natsu 2022 Discussion Thread - here be spoilers

45 minutes ago, Bakayokozuna said:

Speaking of possible mistakes by judges, do you guys think Wakatakakage's hand touched the ground ? Didn't notice anything at first but watching it again he may have touched. Well, nice bout anyway and much needed win for the Sekiwake

Meanwhile in the yusho race, it's still wild

Definitely totally swiped the dohyo..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Yup. Wakatakakage has them stealth hands.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Jyuunomori said:

Yup. Wakatakakage has them stealth hands.

Secret URL-

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Atamifuji is very good. He will soon become joi. Very young and already like this.

Whenever I hear or read claims like this Jokoryu and Chiyotairyu come to my mind… ;-)

Edited by Old Shatterhand is dead

9 minutes ago, Old Shatterhand is dead said:

Whenever I hear or read claims like this Jokoryu and Chiyotairyu come to my mind… ;-)

Indeed, and Kushimaumi, Sasakiyama, Itai and many others. Joukouryuu and Chiyotairyuu weren't ultimately joi, but they weren't chopped liver either.

Wait, they don't have a kimarite called kimetsuridashi?

Don't know why these guys keep insisting to get under T's armpits like that...

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, hakutorizakura said:

Wait, they don't have a kimarite called kimetsuridashi? 

It's simply called Kimedashi, with or without leverage.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

It's simply called Kimedashi, with or without leverage.

An even more spectacular example of this was Chiyonofuji v Asahifuji in November 1987, The Wolf simply clamped his arms and lifted Asahifuji out.

Swami

Watching the broadcast today, I couldn't help notice that the natives seem to be getting a little restless.  For several of the final bouts of the day, loud whistling could be heard from at least one fan.  Given how loud the whistles were, one might conclude that the perpetrator was unmasked.

That really stood out since the pandemic has all but quashed the traditional  "amoku"-like calls from fans (not to mention the throwing of zabuton), allowing only silent support towels and/or clapping.  

Gotta love a rebel!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Secret URL-

Yep looks like there is no question about it actually. Thanks for answering

Its a shame to have so many miss call

Posted (edited)

Few more random broadcast screenshots.

x43IQ2u.jpg

Nice shot of the shinpan at the start of the program.

dgeySFo.jpg

This is actually just the end of the news section right before the start of Juryo coverage, but that's what the weather outside was like today.

3L0X6a5.jpg

Alternate camera angle shown briefly while Terunofuji and Tobizaru were preparing to fight. They don't use this one very often at all.

Edited by dada78641

Is this Kaisei's final basho? He can still save himself in juryo but it's starting to look dicey.

When he retires, I think Shodai wants to take over the A/B kabu. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

100%, fingers bending on contact, sand flying, and everything. Completely unambiguous on replay. Right in front of one of the shimpan, too.

6 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Secret URL-

“Someone, please explain this in football term”

Blatant handball in the penalty box, but VAR didn’t interfere.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, Swami said:

An even more spectacular example of this was Chiyonofuji v Asahifuji in November 1987, The Wolf simply clamped his arms and lifted Asahifuji out.

Swami

That move hooked me on Chiyonofuji.  Thanks for the memory.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reonito said:

100%, fingers bending on contact, sand flying, and everything. Completely unambiguous on replay. Right in front of one of the shimpan, too.

I really don't have a problem with near instantaneous incidental contact with the inside of the dohyo.  IIRC this isn't the first of these not called in the recent past.  It might not be what the rules technically say (or said), but it's reasonable to believe that the essence of the rules requires more significant contact (or they've been secretly amended).  That doesn't explain why mage touching the dohyo is considered a loss, although, when was the last one of those that was called?  It could be a recent change.  It obviously open to interpretation, but so is the dead body rule.

16 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

I really don't have a problem with near instantaneous incidental contact with the inside of the dohyo.  IIRC this isn't the first of these not called in the recent past.  It might not be what the rules technically say (or said), but it's reasonable to believe that the essence of the rules requires more significant contact (or they've been secretly amended).  That doesn't explain why mage touching the dohyo is considered a loss, although, when was the last one of those that was called?  It could be a recent change.  It obviously open to interpretation, but so is the dead body rule.

While I think it's more likely just a bad call, one thing that may support you here is it has seemed like there have been a few matches lately where a rikishi's foot has turned over while falling at the edge, allowing the top of the foot to touch before the opponent went down or out. I remember once upon a time at least in descriptions of the rules to be enough to end a match. Maybe less so now? (All very much a reach I think, but hey, that's half the fun!) 

• Like 1

Really excited for Terunofuji vs Hoshoryu, mean mugging guaranteed.>:-(

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

There have been a couple of mage calls in this and previous tournament. This seems pretty cut-and-dried, unless like you say it's been secretly amended. I think they just missed it, no other explanation needed.

Posted (edited)

Tobizaru lost a match last basho for a similar touch of the dohyo, which was harder to notice in real time than this one was.

This shimpan crew seems either lazy or afraid to speak up, or both.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Even if it's an Incidental touch of the dohyo, it usually is caused by being out balance due to the opponent's pressure. Which means that the opponent has in a way caused the touch. So it should not be a question whether or not to count it as a loss. 

But yeah the shimpan team is not doing so well this basho. Do they have collective stage fever or something? Performance anxiety? 

Edited by dingo
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Kashunowaka said:

Is this Kaisei's final basho? He can still save himself in juryo but it's starting to look dicey.

When he retires, I think Shodai wants to take over the A/B kabu. 

I wonder if the ankle problem he had is still bothering him. 

I was also wondering this about Akiseyama actually. He is close to a mk now and going backward might affect his motivation, but im just speculating here

Edited by Bakayokozuna

2 hours ago, Gurowake said:

Thy called one last basho, IIRC.

Posted (edited)

I there bad blood between Takayasu and the Nephew? Entertaining nonetheless (Punkrocker...)

7 hours ago, Kashunowaka said:

I'm afraid so... this or the next one. He has the age, he got japanese nationality and maybe a kabu. Kaisei need 3 more wins in 6 days

Edited by bettega
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, bettega said:

I there bad blood between Takarafuji and the Nephew? Entertaining nonetheless (Punkrocker...)

I'm afraid so... this or the next one. He has the age, he got japanese nationality and maybe a kabu. Kaisei need 3 more wins in 6 days

Do you mean Takayasu?