Benihana

Natsu 2022 Discussion Thread - here be spoilers

Posted (edited)

Just another day of this basho clearly held in Wonderland: invisible cats, mad hatters, Queen of Hearts, but also invisible Ozeki, mad shinpan, and the Queen of Tits still reigning (albeit shakily).

I am not sure anyone actually noticed it, but all the Three Little Pigs won today. An event these days. Shodai had his win basically handed over but that's it. Just to counter-balance, Wakatakakage reached his 5 losses lower limit. Grand red flag. He's even dangerously close to have to think about his very Sekiwake status. So much for our Chibinofuji mascot.

Tamawashi remains protagonist in this basho, reaching the front-runner group. Although it's too early to tell, he is a total favorite for the final win.

Also, it's just me or this clay is very sandy and slippery? I noticed more than one cloud of dust arising today from the feet of many a rikishi.

8 hours ago, rhyen said:

What is the difference between Makuuchi and Juryo this basho?

More tits in the upper division. Always follow the sex appeal.

9 hours ago, Morty said:

I too am an archaeologist (though I suspect with a very different research focus...). Good to meet another one on here :-)

I am very glad too! My focus, as you can guess from my choice of books, is Aegean Archaeology. More specifically, I entertain myself and the couple of people who have the gallay to follow my presentations about daily life and death in 3000 BC Cretan countryside (Prepalatial Minoan period). Your focus, out of curiosity?

Edited by Hankegami
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Reonito said:

Nope.

The other two won by an M1 and an M2.  Is this Tamawashi's second yusho, or do we give it to the Yusho-less Takanosho?

Edited by Yamanashi
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, just_some_guy said:

Hope Shodai polished up his penmanship to send some nice thank-you cards to the shimpan for the non-mono-ii.

I can't even begin to guess who's going to take this yusho. Terunofuji seems to be fighting without legs (moreso than usual) and no one among the leaders seems reliable enough to be a safe pick. I'm going to go ahead and say Tamawashi will win so in the unlikely event it happens I can gloat about being right.

If he's fortunate enough for Aoiyama, Ichi, and Sadanoumi to keep winning, this becomes much more likely. 

Figure, in current form, he'll probably beat Endo. After that, he has six fights left. Unless Kiribayama collapses, they'll probably fight, and that's the only really bad matchup he has against the higher ranks who are contending; he's 0-5 in that head-to-head. I think he'll probably have a battle with Daieisho as well. If he gets to fight any of the aforementioned three, though, he should launch them into the sixth row.

The thing weighing against the odds he'll fight them all is that they'll all be put in tougher matchups at the same time, so, for example, while he knocks one out of contention, Takanosho does the same to another. But any relative freebies help when he's a win up on much of the competition, he's already faced the most dangerous-looking opponents so far (Taka + Taka), and Takanosho has a clearly more difficult schedule waiting for him.

Yeah that should have been a monoii call for that Shodai-Hoshoryu match. Terunofuji is pretty on and off this basho, but at least looking to get KK. Not a yusho contender at this point if he lets himself keep getting caught like this.

Well now the yusho line is definitely going to be 12-3, maybe 11-4. No one is going to win out from here.

I was sad to have missed the first week due to having been on holiday (but not that sad!). But, having arrived today, it still seems like we're very much awaiting the beginning of the new era. I thought that the Reiwa era would also signal a clear break in the Sumo world, but the demise of the Hakuho era is still not looking like it's going to get a satisfactory replacement for a while yet.

These thoughts led me to look for recent discussions on the matter. Most hype relates to the next Ozeki, which speaks volumes. It feels like the current incumbents have risen into Sanyaku almost by default, and I don't mean that to denigrate their skills, but when you lose a Dai-Yokuzuna, there are a lot more wins available. If only someone could string a year of good results together without getting injured.

I don't know the Japanese for "Highway robbery" but I can give you the Spanish equivalent: ATRACO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Currently, the five frontrunners have a 6-2 record.  The odds are good that most if not all of them will drop at least one if not two losses.  

We look poised to see a 11-4 yusho.  The last time we saw an 11-4 yusho was in September of 2017, but at least on that occasion a Yokozuna (i.e., Harumafuji) edged out the competition... 

5 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Shoudai?

Yes. 

55 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Currently, the five frontrunners have a 6-2 record.  The odds are good that most if not all of them will drop at least one if not two losses.  

We look poised to see a 11-4 yusho.  The last time we saw an 11-4 yusho was in September of 2017, but at least on that occasion a Yokozuna (i.e., Harumafuji) edged out the competition... 

If we assume each bout is a coin flip and I did the math right, it's a 66% chance that no one finishes 12-3 or better. Of course, each bout is not a coin flip, although the way this basho has been going...

• Like 3

On 14/05/2022 at 04:53, Seiyashi said:

Musashimaru being perhaps the most Japanified foreign-born oyakata at present

Without defining 'Japanified' a quick verbal poll of the four people in the office here had him placed as the least Japanified of that group by three people and second from bottom by the other.

It's subjective naturally but still interesting that you have the opposite impression.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Inside Sport Japan said:

Without defining 'Japanified' a quick verbal poll of the four people in the office here had him placed as the least Japanified of that group by three people and second from bottom by the other.

It's subjective naturally but still interesting that you have the opposite impression.

I think that can be explained by how I got that impression - Musashimaru struck me as being the most vocal of Hakuhō's critics, ergo most aligned with "Japanese" values which Hakuhō was felt not to be embodying. Of course, on hindsight, that's probably a classic case of the oyakata doth protest too much.

Who were the oyakata who consistently ranked amongst the top - Ōshima and Kakuryu?

Edited by Seiyashi

5 hours ago, Hankegami said:

I am very glad too! My focus, as you can guess from my choice of books, is Aegean Archaeology. More specifically, I entertain myself and the couple of people who have the gallay to follow my presentations about daily life and death in 3000 BC Cretan countryside (Prepalatial Minoan period). Your focus, out of curiosity?

Australian historical archaeology, particularly convicts and Indigenous peoples. But I've worked all over the world doing all kinds of archaeology on all kinds of sites. Just last week I was excavating an Aboriginal site (rock-shelter) in the northwest of Australia.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Old Shatterhand is dead said:

I watched again all basho from 2012 during April. I wish I didn’t. There is an extreme contrast in quality of sumo compared to these days. The drop of quality is beyond any expectations.

Well to be fair to the current crop, you picked the year that could arguably be called the peak of sumo. It's gotta be somewhere around there with the sheer number of strong yokozuna and decent ozeki to pick from

Atamifuji is very good. He will soon become joi. Very young and already like this.

We're so used to saying "soon they will be facing real opponents" when speaking of the lower ranked who do well. Except that there are no "real opponents". The Ozeki and Yokozuna are not "real opponents" at this point. When we are counting on the Sekiwake and Komusubi to be "the wall", that speaks volumes about something. I'll let you know when I figure out what exactly. Also, I may have mixed up my pills so if my posts today seem stranger than usual, it's because there is no monoii in real life.

• Like 5

After 6-0 start Ryuden loses 3 in a row and these 3 bouts are nearly identical. Strange lack of awareness from him.

Ideally, we should be able to visualise the talent profile of sumo as a pyramid, but it's looking more and more like an igloo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

On 15/05/2022 at 01:14, Kaninoyama said:

The other male guest was the Yutaka Matsushige, best known from the Solitary Gourmet (Kodoku no Gurume) TV series.

I used to watch that, quite liked it too. 

• Like 2

Well, you can't say that it was a botched mono-ii decision which gave the win to Kotonowaka this time. B-)

Seriously, why didn't they even bother to raise their bottoms?

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Yokozuna really delivered today. Amazing perseverance. Some questionable or even straight up bad calls from gyouji not questioned by shinpan again today.

Edited by Taliesin

3 hours ago, Taliesin said:

After 6-0 start Ryuden loses 3 in a row and these 3 bouts are nearly identical. Strange lack of awareness from him.

A lack of awareness is what got Ryuden in all his trouble in the first place. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jakusotsu said:

Well, you can't say that it was a botched mono-ii decision which gave the win to Kotonowaka this time. B-)

Seriously, why didn't they even bother to raise their bottoms?

No, it was five independent botched decisions on whether or not to raise a hand.
I thought there was a mark in the sand where Kotonowaka's heel touched out first.

Some seriously iffy judging from the revamped crew.

I'd like to see more rikishi taking a well-if-you're-not-going-to-I-am stance, like Hakuho did that time (successfully as I recall).

Edited by RabidJohn
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Speaking of possible mistakes by judges, do you guys think Wakatakakage's hand touched the ground ? Didn't notice anything at first but watching it again he may have touched. Well, nice bout anyway and much needed win for the Sekiwake

Meanwhile in the yusho race, it's still wild

Edited by Bakayokozuna

Nephew is getting cocky, or tries to. Anybody elso who giggled watching that staredown ? ;-)