Benihana

Natsu 2022 Discussion Thread - here be spoilers

27 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Yet last basho was one of the best in years both for drama and quality.

The top guys haven't been showing much quality, but there has been some quality shown further down makuuchi ranks; Aoiyama and Tamawashi have both brought their A-game, for example. I think that's reflected in the topsy-turvy day 8 leaderboard. Six co-leaders on 6-2 looks more like juryo, but I quite like the suspense. I've got no idea who is going home with the yusho.

Posted (edited)

One day I'll remember what happens when it's the 1st post on a new page...

Edited by RabidJohn

Wow that basho is weird! Takakeisho actually back in the race now, i have a hard time seeing who will take it.

Wakatakakage is giving me Nagoya flashbacks. Both for Nagoya and this current basho he was entering with a new status, with different kind of expectation. (reaching his goal of becoming komusubi for one and being yusho winner for the other). Well this basho is not over so that narrative can die quickly. Tomorrow vs Takakeisho

Wakamotoharu 5-3, how far can he go ? i am hyped

Posted (edited)

I watched again all basho from 2012 during April. I wish I didn’t. There is an extreme contrast in quality of sumo compared to these days. The drop of quality is beyond any expectations.

this Sanyaku would be not above low maegashira rank at that time.

so sad.

Edited by Old Shatterhand is dead
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rhyen said:

What is the difference between Makuuchi and Juryo this basho?

In Juryo, three of the leaders have already won the yusho before.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Old Shatterhand is dead said:

I watched again all basho from 2012 during April. I wish I didn’t. There is an extreme contrast in quality of sumo compared these days. The drop of of quality is beyond any expectations.

this Sanyaku would be not above low maegashira rank at that time.

so sad.

Yes I had similar thoughts watching the highlights of Chiyonofuji's first yusho on NHK recently, not just him but the quality of his opponents too.

But it surely doesn't do to dwell on them. There are still exciting bouts on their own terms each basho, irrespective of whether the rikishi could have cut it in previous eras. Endo, while he was especially useless today, I forgive him because of that marvellous win over Terunofuji last year (and many other memorable matches).

Takarafuji v Chiyoshoma today was fascinating to me because of Takarafuji's weakness. An aging (injured?) rikishi having a dreadful basho, unable to exploit his favourite position or stamina, but still giving his all at the edge in a quite uncharacteristic way.

And just last basho of course we were all saying how exciting it was. Just wait for the 11-4 four way play-off on day 15! At least that's what I keep telling myself :-)

Edited by Octofuji
Grammar
  • Like 1

I've grown to like Chiyoshoma for some reason. This guy, I mean, you're going against an 0-7 guy and try to henka him. (Laughing...)

Seemed like a nasty headbutt for Mitakeumi and Endo. Endo went too low and got caught.

Hoshoryu absolutely robbed today, what a shame. Especially considering the win went to Shodai.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Admittedly I only watched it the once in real-time and one replay, but I am okay with the Hōshōryu/Shōdai bout outcome (boutcome?).

Shōdai was the attacker, I'm not as willing to say Hōshōryu was trying for a throw. To rephrase, sure, he was probably trying, but I don't think it was at all an effective attempt. Shōdai simply stood out while executing the winning technique, and while sure technically you could call that an isamiashi loss, we've seen it let go before. Granted, not in an Ozeki vs. Komusubi match...

...hmmm...

...okay maybe I've convinced myself Hoshoryu was gypped. 

Cut me some slack. It's been a stressful week, my insomnia is back, and this tournament is weird.

Edited by Godango
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Shodai wins ... just. A mono-ii wouldn't have been unreasonable there.

In fact ... judging from the replay, I think a mono-ii should have happened. Shodai appeared to touch down first. Hoshoryu robbed?

"Is it the first time this basho that Shoudai went forward like that? It's good when he does frantic sumo.  They should have called a monoii. The fans in the stadium do not have the benefit of  TV to see what's going on clearly.  It is important to confirm in case of doubt. Still, when you're sitting down at dohyo side, you can miss things in the flow. We actually gather the members of the judging department before the basho and hold study sessions, " said Hakkaku Rijicho.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

"Is it the first time this basho that Shoudai went forward like that? It's good when he does frantic sumo.  They should have called a monoii. The fans in the stadium do not have the benefit of  TV to see what's going on clearly.  It is important to confirm in case of doubt. Still, when you're sitting down at dohyo side, you can miss things in the flow. We actually gather the members of the judging department before the basho and hold study sessions, " said Hakkaku Rijicho.

Wow, talk about admitting they got it totally wrong. What's Japanese for Highway Robbery?

9 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

To put it simply, he could have just said, "They blew that one!!".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rocks said:

Wow, talk about admitting they got it totally wrong. What's Japanese for Highway Robbery?

Shoudai?

4 minutes ago, Asojima said:

To put it simply, he could have just said, "They blew that one!!".

Since when do sumo upper echelons ever "put it simply" when there is a controversy?

So the judging department holds study sessions.

Apparently those don't include asking for video replay help.... (Sigh...)

• Like 1

Being in China, when I see “study sessions”, I imagine the Kyokai sat around diligently studying Xi Jinping’s latest directives on how to run a honbasho that serves the People and stays true to the spirit of the Party.

• Haha 5

In the middle of the Takarafuji vs. Chiyoshoma match the gyoji said something that sounded like “sunde” or “tsunde” (soon-day), after which the audience seemed to giggle.

Any help with translation/context here would be great!

23 minutes ago, Kyokufuji said:

In the middle of the Takarafuji vs. Chiyoshoma match the gyoji said something that sounded like “sunde” or “tsunde” (soon-day), after which the audience seemed to giggle.

Just reminding himself of the day of the week: Sunday.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Kyokufuji said:

I think it's "susunde", basically asking both rikishi to move, take action etc when the bout is not productive enough, when both rikishi are standing still. I guess the giggle was because the crowd thaught it was harsh to ask that in that moment

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rhyen said:

What is the difference between Makuuchi and Juryo this basho?

Well, in Juryo two of the 6-2's are in the top ranks.

• Haha 1

This is only the fourth time in the modern era that the leading result after day 8 is no better than 6-2. The previous three times the basho has been won with 13-2 (twice) and 12-3. The last time was when Shodai managed to win out in the second week to go 13-2. Somehow I very much doubt that anyone will be able to repeat that in this basho. But stranger things have happened, Tamawashi has even done it before. As it stands, I would happily take a 12-3 yusho, 11-4 in makuuchi is really meh.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Kashunowaka said:

This is only the fourth time in the modern era that the leading result after day 8 is no better than 6-2. The previous three times the basho has been won with 13-2 (twice) and 12-3. The last time was when Shodai managed to win out in the second week to go 13-2. Somehow I very much doubt that anyone will be able to repeat that in this basho. But stranger things have happened, Tamawashi has even done it before. As it stands, I would happily take a 12-3 yusho, 11-4 in makuuchi is really meh.

What´s more puzzling is that nobody in Sanyaku has more than five wins after eight days. I am almost certain that´s a first.

4 hours ago, Leo C said:

Seemed like a nasty headbutt for Mitakeumi and Endo. Endo went too low and got caught.

Endo slipped before contact.

Hope Shodai polished up his penmanship to send some nice thank-you cards to the shimpan for the non-mono-ii.

I can't even begin to guess who's going to take this yusho. Terunofuji seems to be fighting without legs (moreso than usual) and no one among the leaders seems reliable enough to be a safe pick. I'm going to go ahead and say Tamawashi will win so in the unlikely event it happens I can gloat about being right.

24 minutes ago, Gospodin said:

What´s more puzzling is that nobody in Sanyaku has more than five wins after eight days. I am almost certain that´s a first.

Nope.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Crazy basho. And now suddenly everyone is a yusho contender. Been enjoyable so far, let's see how the second half of the basho unfolds!