Benihana

Natsu 2022 Discussion Thread - here be spoilers

2 hours ago, bettega said:

Yes, it's called Koten-Age (Weeping...)

FTFY

Unless the sumo association is selling something at a loss, then it's a KOENKAI NAGE!

...I'll see myself out. 

1 hour ago, bettega said:

Yes, it's called Age (Weeping...)

I wouldn't be surprised by that at all.  But maybe he's just decided not to go gently into that good night -- maybe he's giving his opponent a couple more things to think about each bout, hoping to prolong his career a little.

5 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Was I the only one worried Hakuho would rip his suit when demoing some of the moves that got him perilously close to kneeling or squatting? That would have been awkward.

I believe this is what you meant

7 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

NHK was advertising the new day 7 format the whole basho, Magaki does what Waka does on Abema, technique explanations. The lady is Airi, the daughter of ex-Wakashimazu and singer Takada Mitsue. Model, actress and famous sujo who runs a YT sumo channel that presents the rikishi of the (now Hanaregoma) heya.

The other male guest was the Yutaka Matsushige, best known from the Solitary Gourmet (Kodoku no Gurume) TV series.

• Thanks 1

MAY 2022 (NATSU) BASHO LINKS AND STATISTICS BLOG--DAY 6

A REQUEST IF YOU ARE INTERESTED. PLEASE TAKE A LOOK AT MY "NOTABLE" SECTION FOR DAY 6 (SORRY, HAVE FALLEN A DAY BEHIND, COULDN'T BE HELPED--WILL TRY TO CATCH UP SOON). I HAVE SOME PRETTY STRONG THINGS TO SAY ABOUT OZEKI PERFORMANCE SO FAR, PERHAPS TOO STRONG? I AM FAIRLY NEW TO THE SPORT AND SO DON'T HAVE THE CONTEXT THAT MOST OF YOU DO. IS THIS SOMETHING OF CONCERN, OR SOMETHING THAT HAPPENS REGULARLY? ANY FEEDBACK WOULD BE WELCOMED. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

ALSO FOUND THE 3 CONSECUTIVE MATCHES WON BY DAIGO OVER YOKOZUNA TOCHINOUMI IN 1965. TOCHINOUMI JUST PASSED IN 2021, SECOND OLDEST LIVING YOKOZUNA TO UMAGATANI i (15TH YOKOZUNA).

Links to 6 archived Makuuchi Day 6 videos , Jonokuchi, and several maezumo matches,  over 160 photos, match articles, selected Rikishi quotes, match results, Kimarite and time statistics with comparisons to the March Basho. I have added match results and Kimarite statistics for Juryo. Also Top Rank performance, Maegashira v san'yaku, and Top Ten performance in Juryo. 

Have added Time of Match statistics for Juryo (no official source, so I used a stop watch app). Probably not exact, but close. Anyway, if anyone knows of an "official" source available in English please let me know. Hope it increases your enjoyment of the Basho. 

Enjoy

• Like 1

Takarafuji starts 0-8. That’s his third career nakabi makekoshi and first since 2014. All three have come in May.

Posted (edited)

Transiting through Narita and landing just in time to catch the ozeki and yokozuna bouts on an airport TV broadcasting sumo. Guess this is the best I'll be able to get for a while.

The hell was that, Hosh? 

Edited by Seiyashi

Posted (edited)

Shodai wins ... just. A mono-ii wouldn't have been unreasonable there.

In fact ... judging from the replay, I think a mono-ii should have happened. Shodai appeared to touch down first. Hoshoryu robbed?

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1

Just now, Eikokurai said:

Shodai wins ... just. A mono-ii wouldn't have been unreasonable there.

I'd argue a mono-ii was necessary there, and cost hoshoryu a win by reversal. A cynical viewer would see this as paying shodai back for a missed monoii earlier in the tournament, but that's not how justice works! Hopefully that's not the reason for non-consideration here.

He got clearly robbed ! Shodais back of the foot touched the ground while Hoshoryu was still on the bales…

• Like 1

It doesn't look like Terunofuji will be able to finish the basho

Posted (edited)

No sanyaku rikishi better than 5-3 (Eek...)

Could this be the return of the 11-4 makuuchi yusho?

Edited by Katooshu

9 minutes ago, Yarimotsu said:

I'd argue a mono-ii was necessary there, and cost hoshoryu a win by reversal. A cynical viewer would see this as paying shodai back for a missed monoii earlier in the tournament, but that's not how justice works! Hopefully that's not the reason for non-consideration here.

Also Mainoumi on NHK said there should have been a mono-ii.

And Kotonowaka also again got a win after mono-ii, this time not by his father: the shimpan all love him

1 minute ago, Akinomaki said:

And Kotonowaka also again got a win after mono-ii, this time not by his father: the shimpan all love him

Kotonowaka was given the win by the gyoji, correctly. Mono-ii just confirmed it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Daisho´s right foot touched clearly down first. No doubt about this one, imo.

18 minutes ago, Gospodin said:

Daisho´s right foot touched clearly down first. No doubt about this one, imo.

He fought Wakatakakage. Daieisho faced Takakeisho.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Yes, Hoshoryu should've gotten not only a monoii, but the win - he was clearly performing a technique and Shodai's leg was down before he touched. It seems that at least once per basho there is a monoii controversy involving Hosh.

This seems like a really sloppy basho, although I'm enjoying the lack of a clear frontrunner. 

Edited by Katooshu

27 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

He fought Wakatakakage. Daieisho faced Takakeisho.

Thanks, I should get up an hour before makuuchi starts ;-)

On 13/05/2022 at 15:03, Hankegami said:

Off topic: archaeologists, not historians. I am an archaeologist and I am never amused by this frequent mix-up. It's just like somebody doing a henka, let's say. Historians mainly work on documents and their main focus is the "grand history" (kings, queens, wars & co.) and shift to everyday life only whether enough written documents are available. Archaeologists are the opposite: they focus on material evidence and use written texts (when available) as a secondary source. Both the Bronze Age Collapse and the Roanoke issue belong to archaeological research. In the first case, the only written sources are the "Amarna Letters" and the "Ramses III Stela" which barely cover the point of view of Egyptians and Hittites. As the Collapse involved the whole Mediterranean, evidence for burnt settlements and similar things is essential to make up a more complete picture. Roanoke is not much different. The only written source is the report from the rescue expedition, which reports the famed "Croatoan" message. Archaeologists were required both to dig up the Roanoke settlement and to look up for British settlements on Hatteras Island (the most likely Croatoan).

Ok, embolism time off. Back to the topic, as everybody can guess I am not a 100% fan of either henka and HNH. I mean, I accept them as part of the game but I'd prefer kirishi to use them only when strictly necessary since they virtually avoid fighting. Sure, they are highly technical moves and therefore rikishi able to successfully execute them "deserve" their wins. Yet again, it's a matter of circumstances for me. Generally speaking, I am more prone to accept them during the final days of a tournament, when rikishi are pressured to not drop any more bouts either to get their KK or to win the yusho race. A henka (or HNH) on day 5 against a perfectly even opponent is a total lack of taste for me, not to mention a lack of respect towards a fellow san'yaku. Long story short, I am going to wear my Daieisho t-shirt (which I don't have) today.

I too am an archaeologist (though I suspect with a very different research focus...). Good to meet another one on here :-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Katooshu said:

No sanyaku rikishi better than 5-3 (Eek...)

Could this be the return of the 11-4 makuuchi yusho?

Probably will be a 11-4 with a playoff. Says a lot about the current state of sumo doesn't it? Even though it's quite enjoyable with Makuuchi being totally unpredictable, in terms of the quality of the actual wrestling it doesn't look that good.

Just now, Kaioshoryu said:

Probably will be a 11-4 with a playoff. Says a lot about the current state of sumo doesn't it? Even though it's quite enjoyable with Makuuchi being totally unpredictable, in terms of the quality of the actual wrestling it doesn't look that good.

Yet last basho was one of the best in years both for drama and quality.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Eikokurai said:

Yet last basho was one of the best in years both for drama and quality.

Perhaps, but I think the quality this basho is worse than last basho. Still, the drama is good though. :-)

What is the difference between Makuuchi and Juryo this basho?