Benihana

Natsu 2022 Discussion Thread - here be spoilers

5 minutes ago, Taliesin said:

No Ozeki Wakatakakage any time soon probably...

Not this basho but 10 wins keeps his run alive for next time, so let's not write him off just yet.

Shodai is just cashing his paychecks and doing none of the work.

• Thanks 1

Day 7 gone, and I am seriously beginning to think there is some Fight Club rule like "insist on your most evident weakness" this basho. Kotonowaka and Shodai stay upright all the time, basically asking their aite to yorikiri them out. Wakatakakage jumps forward like he has to break through a NFL human barrier and he hands easy hatakitomi over. Bad boy Takakeisho however today broke his "no tachi'ai for me" rule and tach-ai'd Tamawashi out.

At least Terunofuji is keeping his mojo (oshi wrestlers aside) and is leading the runner-up pack alongside fellow 5-2 Ichiyamamoto, Tobizaru, Takanosho, Tamawashi, Daieisho and Hoshoryu. Will they be able to catch up 6-1 basho leaders Aoiyama and Sadanoumi? Jokes aside, both Daieisho and Hoshoryu are emerging as serious contenders now. I didn't put them among the yusho hopefuls until today.

Tomorrow will be interesting. Aoiyama will get a serious first test in Wakamotoharu, while Tobizaru vs. Tamawashi will relegate one of them in third position. The once thrilling bout Wakatakakage vs. Kotonowaka will be now a battle to contain losses. Will Wakatakakage yorikiri out ever-upright Kotonowaka, or Four Tits will hatakitomi Chibinofuji first? About Wakatakakage, he is running out of throwaway bouts. He can take only one more loss to make an acceptable 10-5 score, with eight days to go and the big guys yet to be faced (whelp, perhaps the Three Little Pigs are not that dangerous this time around, but still...). Ah, and Terunofuji vs. Takanosho will put once again one of the contenders down to third position in the yusho race.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Benihana said:

You sure he said this about day 6, not day 5? I wanted to hurl that at their faces ;)

Asa posted it after the day 6 bout - Hoshoryu: "So, it was good sumo, wasn't it" https://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/sports/sumou/4190198/

Edited by Akinomaki

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

Shodai is just cashing his paychecks and doing none of the work.

Be careful, if you keep picking on Shodai, there are members here who will report you to the moderators for harassment. 

• Haha 3

Disappointed with Wakatakakage so far; he does seem overeager I think. I remember he had a match with Endo I think in January that I was there for, and Endo tried and tried and just couldn't push him down. Great balance which also showed in his recent title win. Today and yesterday[?] he just went straight down. But I'm rooting for him, I'm sure he'll finish with a good score, hopefully his Ozeki run stays alive.

Takakeisho did his sumo today. I find it so interesting how he goes back and forth from 0 to 100 tachiai power in different basho, but now even in different days.

Oho and Yutakayama was my kind of match! Love a slapfight.

I also appreciated the Oho-Yutakayama bout. A bit of everything in there.

I'm not disappointed with Wakatakakage, though. I've no doubt everyone likely to face him will have been studying videos and noticed his tendency to come in hard and low. Some have managed to take advantage of that. I'll only be disappointed if Wakatakakage doesn't adjust to make himself less vulnerable in future.

Aoiyama and Sadanoumi as day 7 co-leaders - wut?

Very different commentator format today. I saw Magaki was there, but who was the lady?

The new format is an interesting talking point. When talking about the quality of the wrestlers a few posts back someone mentioned sumo's purportedly declining popularity. I've been living in Japan for over a year and been to the kokugikan a few times, I think sumo's fanbase definitely skews very old. Not only from the fans in the arena, but all the 20~30 year-olds I usually talk to have absolutely zero interest in sumo (only person I've met so far who watched is 65). I wonder if changing the format to look more like other japanese TV shows, including the cute idol girl making exaggerated faces at everything that happens, is an attempt at improving ratings or capturing a younger demographic without changing anything about sumo itself.

1 hour ago, Kaninoyama said:

Be careful, if you keep picking on Shodai, there are members here who will report you to the moderators for harassment. 

Haha. I actually like Shodai—he’s just letting me down!

• Like 2

Wakatakakage needs another crazy week 2 comeback to save the ozeki run. But this time his schedule will get harder and his record against ozeki or yokozuna is not great. Still 5 more wins needed to at least stay sekiwake, let's see how he can answer

His brother is doing well again. His last two losses are close ones. I hope he can climb the banzuke a bit more and have a chance to face the top guys

A lot of undedogs at the top but this could end with a classic Terunofuji yusho

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

Haha. I actually like Shodai—he’s just letting me down!

I like him too, it's like he needs an injection of aggression and drive.

I understand it's the culture to not show emotion on the Dohyo.

After Day 7, all joi rikishi participating have at least 2 wins - except Shodai.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Very different commentator format today. I saw Magaki was there, but who was the lady?

NHK was advertising the new day 7 format the whole basho, Magaki does what Waka does on Abema, technique explanations. The lady is Airi, the daughter of ex-Wakashimazu and singer Takada Mitsue. Model, actress and famous sujo who runs a YT sumo channel that presents the rikishi of the (now Hanaregoma) heya.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Magaki does what Waka does on Abema

They wish...

5 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Not this basho but 10 wins keeps his run alive for next time, so let's not write him off just yet.

Yeah, but to get that he would need to go 7-1 the rest of the way. If he's managed to lose four times to having his aggression turned against him, I have my doubts he's going to figure out an answer quickly enough to make that happen.

However, even nine would at least give him a crack with another giant 12-win effort, so you're right that the run isn't dead. But right now he's on a path to blowing a prime opportunity at making ozeki.

I made a video about it (spoiler: I figured he would do better than this): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h4a2PUmGPY

(I'm making a point of not linking to my channel until I'm home and have a chance to up the visual quality of the videos, but this one is relevant at the moment, so I'm putting it here.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Leo C said:

The new format is an interesting talking point. When talking about the quality of the wrestlers a few posts back someone mentioned sumo's purportedly declining popularity. I've been living in Japan for over a year and been to the kokugikan a few times, I think sumo's fanbase definitely skews very old. Not only from the fans in the arena, but all the 20~30 year-olds I usually talk to have absolutely zero interest in sumo (only person I've met so far who watched is 65). I wonder if changing the format to look more like other japanese TV shows, including the cute idol girl making exaggerated faces at everything that happens, is an attempt at improving ratings or capturing a younger demographic without changing anything about sumo itself.

Because of time zone, watching the competition in real time isn't generally an option (save for moments of insomnia, which thankfully don't really happen anymore), but even when I've tried, I find it simply easier to bang through NattoSumo's or Kintamayama's pared-down replays.

Actually, this makes me wonder if baseball is also losing popularity in Japan. It is in America (at least relative to basketball and football), and the speed of the game is considered a major reason. Sumo, of course, can't be easily sped up, given the ceremonial aspects, but I wouldn't be shocked if offering an official shorter version on TV or online made it easier for some people to get into the sport. (From what I know, single fights can be found, but not all in one broadcast; please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Posted (edited)

I haven't been able to watch the sumo live for a while due to being busy, so I've just been watching the Youtube videos. Today I watched the full coverage and I don't know if it's new, but I really appreciated Hakuho (sorry, Magaki) giving all those demonstrations.

7qLEMcy.jpg

0HKZSDD.jpg

My money is on Hakuho, although I think the guy in the mascot suit will give him a pretty good bout.

5ROYnZP.jpg

Hakuho interviewing Ura as he listens to FM radio on a device he bought 30 years ago.

e5CZrRY.jpg

That's how I look when I watch sumo too.

kQoiLdp.png

This commentary room - probably everybody has already seen this, but I haven't been able to watch the full sumo broadcast in a while. It looks neat.

NhLr67s.jpg

QQFnJWH.jpg

Nice shot of the arena.

Edited by dada78641
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Oh my. The analysis shows here have people display moves against each other, but I would adore seeing Shaq show post-up moves against some team's mascot

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Was I the only one worried Hakuho would rip his suit when demoing some of the moves that got him perilously close to kneeling or squatting? That would have been awkward.

Edited by Eikokurai

Terunofuji should send Terutsuyoshi a nice fruit basket for tossing that salt that Endo slipped on today.

Hakuho flexing his muscles and causing his suit bursting off leaving him in only a mawashi is actually the sort of programming I'd expect from Japanese television. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Something going on with Tochinoshin ?  He seems to be trying some alternate attacks -- looking for throws more often this basho.  The kotenage against Chiyoshoma was only the seventh time in over 1000 bouts that he's won with that kimarite.

1 hour ago, dada78641 said:

e5CZrRY.jpg

That's how I look when I watch sumo too.

It's a lovely top, hope the colour suits you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

Something going on with Tochinoshin ?  He seems to be trying some alternate attacks -- looking for throws more often this basho.  The kotenage against Chiyoshoma was only the seventh time in over 1000 bouts that he's won with that kimarite.

Yes, it's called Age (Weeping...)