Benihana

Natsu 2022 Discussion Thread - here be spoilers

Just now, robnplunder said:

A kick in question?

Could have been that. Would have been harsh though. I thought his heel might have touched out but it seems not.

Uff, millimeters away. That was the closest avoidance of kadoban status I have ever seen.

3 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Takakeisho’s foot out there? Shodai showing a bit of Ozeki pride anyway.

Almost. He remained on the edges of the bales. Shodai was just a fraction of inch from a last upset.

But he stayed in, and we have at least a KK Ozeki. Oh joy!

Barely a contest. Throughly anti-climactic ending to a basho that’s been curious but still strangely lacking in drama despite that. Teru gets his 7th to surpass Kakuryu’s career total.

• Like 2

Not that I think he would have beat terunofuji  in a playoff but that is sad for Takanosho. Congrats to Terunofuji on the yusho. 

• Like 1

Whelp, that was an anticlimactic ending to an unexciting basho.

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rocks said:

Not that I think he would have beat terunofuji  in a playoff but that is sad for Takanosho. Congrats to Terunofuji on the yusho. 

Takanosho should get other chances, but Sadanoumi is at the wrong end of his career, so feel more for him not getting his playoff shot.

• Like 1

YDC will be full of praise for Teru on how despite not starting well he fought to the end, all three ozeki are going to come in for a deserved round of castigation, and lower sanyaku fails to really impress again. Oh well, at least two possible ozeki runs next time, and it'll be interesting seeing two ozeki fight kadoban again...not.

Mitakeumi fought more than expected (considering his no-show of yesterday) but there was no contest at the end. Terunofuji is back in town and everything like that.

By the way, I noticed that Daieisho is technically on an Ozeki run now. Would he manage to get a 14-1 in July it's a done deal. Granted, Daieisho never scored that high in his whole career (just checked) but who knows what happens next basho. Not going to bet my money on this, however.

Edited by Hankegami
  • Confused 1

7th yusho! Omedetou.

Happy for Teru, seemed like he was going to drop out in the beginning but he powered through and was rewarded for it.

No kensho for Mitakeumi. Hopefully the sanyaku is more genki next basho.

Just now, Hankegami said:

Mitakeumi fought more than expected (considering his no-show of yesterday) but there was no contest at the end. Terunofuji is back in town and everything like that.

By the way, I noticed that Daieisho is technically on an Ozeki run now. Would he manage to get a 14-1 in July it's a done deal. Granted, Daieisho never shored that high in his whole career (just checked) but who knows what happens next basho. Not going to bet my money on this, however.

Eh, not with an 8-7 he won't be, and he'll need a good yūshō in July to even start the conversation. He could make it by September, though.

1 minute ago, Eikokurai said:

Takanosho should get other chances, but Sadanoumi is at the wrong end of his career, so feel more for him not getting his playoff shot.

I don't feel bad for him because there was never going to be a 11-4 playoff.

1 minute ago, Seiyashi said:

and lower sanyaku fails to really impress again.

I mean, Daieisho was a runner up, Waka got 9 so still on the Ozeki run, Hoshoryu was just there, agreed. 

4 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Eh, not with an 8-7 he won't be, and he'll need a good yūshō in July to even start the conversation. He could make it by September, though.

Well, if he gets a 14-1 he also gets a yusho nine out of ten. Even in case someone else gets 15-0 (beg to differ with this banzuke), a 14-1 is the yusho equivalent. A yusho should be necessary for a 13-2 (the "Shodai deal"), in that case I would plenty agree.

As I have said before, Teruno is in a class by himself.   Sure, he had a shaky start.  But he is still the one to beat.

11 minutes ago, Rocks said:

I don't feel bad for him because there was never going to be a 11-4 playoff.

Well, that was the only way Takanosho was going to get the yusho after losing to said Sadanoumi.

1 minute ago, Eikokurai said:

Well, that was the only way Takanosho was going to get the yusho after losing to said Sadanoumi.

Exactly. I felt bad Takanosho lost that match. 

I don't feel bad for either guy, they were very fortunate to still have the possibility of a playoff despite 4 losses and also got special awards.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1

Macaroon is gold.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Rocks said:

Exactly. I felt bad Takanosho lost that match. 

Fair enough. I tend to only feel bad when guys lose a shot by means out of their hands. Takanosho got the chance to beat Sadanoumi and didn’t. They were both (along with Daieisho) then hanging their hopes on Mitakeumi.

Big pop for one cow's worth of wagyu beef Terunofuji got. I'd be excited too.

• Thanks 1