Benihana

Natsu 2022 Discussion Thread - here be spoilers

6 hours ago, Gospodin said:

It looks like the final sunset is imminent for Shohozan. I will miss him :-( and his charisma.

"He's too old he will be retiring soon";-) (See ridiculous predictions thread)

That should improve his chances.

43 minutes ago, Fujisan said:

"He's too old he will be retiring soon";-) (See ridiculous predictions thread)

That should improve his chances.

"Bard: n, a poet" (Detective...)

11 hours ago, Asojima said:

Riding a gravy train  in Juryo may be preferable to struggling to survive in mid-to-low makuuchi.

I doubt if Mitoryu wants to keep riding that particular gravy train. When he first made juryo, I never thought he'd be still stuck in there.  

If they did a Karate Kid/Might Ducks style movie about a plucky underdog sumo team or rikishi, Kinbozan would definitely be one of the intimidating final bosses they have to conqueror, having looked on from the sidelines as he mauled and injured poor Fukai. Gives me serious sports movie bad guy vibes, plus his lack of neck makes him even more challenging (Laughing...)

Edited by Katooshu

11 hours ago, Blue_Wolf said:

Kiribayama 1st yusho incoming. Couldn’t be happier.

I still think Terunofuji is the one to beat.

However, I don't mind Ura shocking the sumo world by taking the yusho.  :-)

12 hours ago, Asojima said:

Riding a gravy train  in Juryo may be preferable to struggling to survive in mid-to-low makuuchi.

I assume that's a joke?  Less pay each basho, never a chance at kensho. etc., etc.  And after all that someone notes your Ironman stay in Juryo and the reply is "well, that's pretty pathetic after all, isn't it?"

41 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

"Bard: n, a poet" (Detective...)

I think you are "Overthinking" the joke a little(Inastateofconfusion...) 

• Like 1

MAY 2022 (NATSU) BASHO LINKS AND STATISTICS BLOG--DAY 9

Links to  archived Makuuchi Day 9 videos , photos, match articles, selected Rikishi quotes, match results, Kimarite and time statistics with comparisons to the March Basho. I have added match results and Kimarite statistics for Juryo. Also Top Rank performance, Maegashira v san'yaku, and Top Ten performance in Juryo. Have added Time of Match statistics for Juryo (no official source, so I used a stop watch app). Probably not exact, but close. Anyway, if anyone knows of an "official" source available in English please let me know. Hope it increases your enjoyment of the Basho. 

• Like 1

Tochinoshin secures back-to-back kachikoshi for the first time since Sept and Nov 2018 when he was still Ozeki. 

Takanosho is the first to double-digits and remains in the sole lead for the yusho. 10-2.

Sadanoumi keeps himself in the hunt at 9-3, but Kiribayama drops to 8-4. The chasing pack loses two members (Ichiyamamoto lost to Takanosho). Ura and Terunofuji to come.

Edited by Eikokurai

Kiribayama vs Wakamotoharu is the match of the day so far.  Too bad for Kiri.  His yusho run ended.  Is it Takanosho's basho?  I hope so.  

• Like 2

Happy to see Daieisho KK and protect his Komusubi rank at a minimum. Might not be much room in sanyaku, with Hoshoryu needing only one more win, WTK two and Abi three. Maybe the useless Ozeki should give up their slots.

Edited by Eikokurai

Shodai continues to find whole new ways to look like an impostor. Is the real one on a beach somewhere and a body-double standing in for him? MK for him and kadoban next basho (I'm going ahead and calling the mono-ii against him).

WTF?!!! Torinaoshi?!!! Shodai lost that by a mile. Second time he's benefited from some highly dubious officiating this basho.

And of course he wins the rematch he should never have been allowed, saving himself from MK for another day. What a joke.

Edited by Eikokurai

11 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

WTF?!!! Torinaoshi?!!! Shodai lost that by a mile. Second time he's benefited from some highly dubious officiating this basho.

I thought Shodai lost the first match. But, the guy is living on a borrowed time.  He will go Kadoban.

Apparently, Mitakeumi is willing to join Shodai in the Kadoban land.

Edited by robnplunder

3 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

I thought Shodai lost the first match. But, the guy is living on a borrowed time.  He will go Kadoban.

His thigh was down about an hour before Tobizaru. It didn't even look contentious to me. Figured they'd do a quick video check and confirm it. As much as I like Shodai, he doesn't deserve the KK. He should already be MK after two free wins.

And now Mitakeumi joins him on 5-7 and the cusp of a makekoshi. Could we have all three Ozeki kadoban in July?

Edited by Eikokurai

It's taken me 11 days to remember Ichinojo exists and isn't in this basho.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Shodai continues to find whole new ways to look like an impostor. Is the real one on a beach somewhere and a body-double standing in for him? MK for him and kadoban next basho (I'm going ahead and calling the mono-ii against him).

And of course he wins the rematch he should never have been allowed, saving himself from MK for another day. What a joke.

Yep. #tobizaruwinsmatter

Sometimes I have almost the impression the NSK is protecting Shodai (although they didn't call for a torinaoshi for him vs. Kotonowaka). I won't be 100% surprised they don't want him to go MK too early otherwise he will likely give bouts around because losing 7-8 or 5-10 is the same for him as a shin-kadoban Ozeki.

In a fairly underwhelming basho compared to those of the past 1-2 years, Shodai v Tobizaru Round 1 and Ura v Takakeisho have been particularly hectic and quite entertaining bouts today

Now, THAT was a weird bout. Ura played some tricks at the start, moving forward at the squat, then Takakeisho does a strange tachiai, and then it ends in highly comic fashion. Ura should be given the win though. Well, "win".

• Like 1

Ura!   Ura is still in the yusho run.

All 3 Ozekis may go MK. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eikokurai said:

Now, THAT was a weird bout. Ura played some tricks at the start, moving forward at the squat, then Takakeisho does a strange tachiai, and then it ends in highly comic fashion. Ura should be given the win though. Well, "win".

That was fun, fun, fun!  I loved it, especially the slow-mo replays.  

Just now, sumoforever said:

In a fairly underwhelming basho compared to those of the past 1-2 years, Shodai v Tobizaru Round 1 and Ura v Takakeisho have been particularly hectic and quite entertaining bouts today

Pure Shokkiri. Takakeisho basically walked out himself as Ura's push was most likely very weak. Had he offered resistance Ura would have lost by self-hatakikomi.

And yeah, the Three Little Pigs need the BigBad MK Wolf to shake 'em up.

Fair play to WTK. I thought he was a goner the moment Teru had the kime grip early on but WTK fought him at his own game and made him earn that win. The loss does dent his Ozeki run though. The best he can hope for now is 9-6. He'll need a strong July.

An impressive win by Teruno.  That's why I still say Terunofuji is the one to beat even though Takanosho has one win lead at this point.  He is too damn big, and powerful.

Edited by robnplunder

19 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

His thigh was down about an hour before Tobizaru. It didn't even look contentious to me. Figured they'd do a quick video check and confirm it. As much as I like Shodai, he doesn't deserve the KK. He should already be MK after two free wins.

And now Mitakeumi joins him on 5-7 and the cusp of a makekoshi. Could we have all three Ozeki kadoban in July?

On the NHK broadcast the commentator speculated that the mono-ii wasn't looking at who touched out of the ring first, but rather, Tobizaru's toes appeared turned over about the same time Shodai's thigh touched down. From that perspective, it did appear to be a dead heat meriting a torinaoshi. 

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 4