Sign in to follow this  
Sumo Spiffy

Is Meisei (still) hurt?

Chris Sumo has mentioned Meisei having a back injury a few times in his videos, so I'm assuming there's news to that effect he has access to, but I can't find anything. So, I was wondering, does anyone know anything about where he is with that? 

He did not look as having recovered really during the joint keiko session on day 2. If I got it correct only 2 wins, still missing the power to finish his opponents once he has a better grip.

joint keiko day 2

Edited by Itachiyama
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Itachiyama said:

He did not look as having recovered really during the joint keiko session on day 2. If I got it correct only 2 wins, still missing the power to finish his opponents once he has a better grip.

joint keiko day 2

Maybe sitting out, taking the fall to Juryo, and grinding back up? Just seems like he is gonna mess up his career if he keeps up like this. 

2 hours ago, Chartorenji said:
12 hours ago, Itachiyama said:

joint keiko day 2

Maybe sitting out, taking the fall to Juryo, and grinding back up? Just seems like he is gonna mess up his career if he keeps up like this. 

He won't be the first to refuse to sit out and cap his potential due to injury. Unfortunately the culture is still very much one of gambarising, and the threshold for sitting out seems to be surgical intervention or worse. It doesn't help that the one heya to buck the trend, Naruto, doesn't really have anything to show for it, since Naruto-beya has been around for a fair while, has some talent, yet has failed to produce sekitori. That in part can be attributed to having to take one step back for two steps forward.

• Like 1

Speaking as someone currently dealing with a back injury, it's tough to deal with. There's absolutely no guarantee that it will heal on its own, and if it does it can take months to do so before you can be active again. surgery is usually the same recovery time and results in lower flexibility. I'm not surprised a rikishi would just push on if it can be managed.

• Like 1

On 27/04/2022 at 18:10, Seiyashi said:

It doesn't help that the one heya to buck the trend, Naruto, doesn't really have anything to show for it, since Naruto-beya has been around for a fair while, has some talent, yet has failed to produce sekitori. That in part can be attributed to having to take one step back for two steps forward

It's a very interesting case that I too have been considering for a while. He's been such a prolific recruiter of talent but I wonder if his ability to keep bringing in the best new recruits will be impacted by his inability to get any of them into Juryo. Success does not always (or even mostly/normally?) seem like the driving factor for most folks to join a particular heya, but at a certain point surely there will be those youngsters who will see Naruto and maybe think "I'm not going to be able to make a living for myself if I go there." So while he has got close he really needs to push a couple over the line who prospective young rikishi can look at and say "that could be me."

In Meisei's case, it is somewhat difficult to argue at least with the shisho's recent track record. Most people might look at Hoshoryu as a can't miss prospect, but Meisei and in particular Akua (who I never even saw sticking in Juryo, never mind Makuuchi) have been really good examples of talent development. Obviously it's taken moto-Asahiyutaka a loooooong time to get there (even though he's one of the older stablemasters but still looks like he's 37), and he has a lengthy legacy of the stable's history to draw on in terms of attracting recruits. I'm curious if there were other former top prospects at Tatsunami that might have flamed out due to injury mismanagement, before even reaching sekitori level (and what that might portend for Meisei), but I'm not so long in the memory as some others here.

• Like 2