Sign in to follow this  
Jejima

Guess Hokutofuji's Aite - May 2022 edition

Looks like we should be glad that our hero is MK, which made this day much more easy to predict for him than for his neighbours.

Gurowake (YOw) 13-0
Sakura (Y1e) 12-1
Reonito (YOe) 12-1
Oshirokita (S1e) 11-2
Profomisakari (M1e) 11-2
Sumo Spiffy (mz) 10-3
Hakuhonofan (K1e) 9-3-1
WAKATAKE (M2w) 9-3-1
Jakusotsu (S1w) 8-5
Seiyashi (M2e) 8-5
Chartorenji (M4w) 8-2-3
Jejima (M3e) 7-6
shimodahito (M1w) 4-3-6
Ryoshishokunin (M3w) 1-0-12
The Kyokai (M3e) 0-13
Andonishiki (K1w) intai

Hokutofuji's aites: 1. Wakatakakage, 2. Abi, 3. Hoshoryu, 4. Onosho, 5. Terunofuji, 6. Mitakeumi, 7. Shodai, 8. Kiribayama, 9. Kotonowaka, 10. Takakeisho, 11. Takayasu, 12. Endo, 13. Takarafuji

I would say Kotoeko because they are probably going down the banzuke from here, but it is possible that Terutsuyoshi loses to be MK. I might change my pick depending on the outcome, but right now I'll stick with:

14 Terutsuyoshi

Day 14 - Kotokuzan

7 hours ago, Reonito said:

I think given that the leading contender is Takanosho, and the only sanyaku he hasn't faced is Waka, that'll be on day 13. Not sure they'll deviate from the Teru-Takakeisho fight, especially as both have fought Kiribayama already, and there are matchups among the 8-4 maegashira still available.

You were right. My thinking was that because there are so many contenders across the division, and they already broke the seal (so to speak) by putting Ichi against Takanosho, we would start to see more top-record matchups with big skews in rank and use Takakeisho as a sort of roadblock while saving his fight with Teru until day 15. But maybe if they're gonna fight, the ozeki have to (or usually) fight the yokozuna in ascending order? It's hard to tell given how often those matchups don't occur due to contender fights.

BTW, they must set matchups before the upcoming fights, but do they get released before the fights or can they be changed based on what happens? I'm asleep when that all goes down, so I don't actually know the order of operations here.

1 hour ago, Sumo Spiffy said:

BTW, they must set matchups before the upcoming fights, but do they get released before the fights or can they be changed based on what happens? I'm asleep when that all goes down, so I don't actually know the order of operations here.

They set them before the day's action. in the last couple of years they waited until after Day 14 was over to set the Day 15 matches.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sakura said:

They set them before the day's action. in the last couple of years they waited until after Day 14 was over to set the Day 15 matches.

Ahhh, that makes sense. Day 15 threw me off because it seemed they must be doing exactly that, but playing this game it looked like everything was set before the fights; didn't realize both could be true. Thanks.

14 - Terutsuyoshi

14. Terutsuyoshi

14. Terutsuyoshi

Couldn't think of a clever alternative. Really curious who's going to make sense for the last day, though.

While I agree that Terutsuyoshi is the most likely choice, it's not a complete lock, I need to pass both of my fellow yokozuna, and Day 15 is a total crapshoot, so I think I'll gamble now on:

14. Kotokuzan

...and there goes Gurowake's zensho. :-(

At least I got Takayasu-Terutsuyoshi right.

Gurowake (YOw) 13-1
Sakura (Y1e) 12-2
Reonito (YOe) 12-2
Oshirokita (S1e) 11-3
Profomisakari (M1e) 11-3
Sumo Spiffy (mz) 10-4
Hakuhonofan (K1e) 9-4-1
WAKATAKE (M2w) 9-4-1
Jakusotsu (S1w) 8-6
Seiyashi (M2e) 8-6
Chartorenji (M4w) 8-2-4
Jejima (M3e) 7-7
shimodahito (M1w) 4-4-6
Ryoshishokunin (M3w) 1-0-13
The Kyokai (M3e) 1-13
Andonishiki (K1w) intai

Hokutofuji's aites: 1. Wakatakakage, 2. Abi, 3. Hoshoryu, 4. Onosho, 5. Terunofuji, 6. Mitakeumi, 7. Shodai, 8. Kiribayama, 9. Kotonowaka, 10. Takakeisho, 11. Takayasu, 12. Endo, 13. Takarafuji, 14. Nishikigi

15 Terutsuyoshi!

Waow, didn't see that coming.

Day 15, so what the heck. Tobizaru.

Day 15 - Kotoeko

Posted (edited)

Day 15 - Nishikigi

Vote corrected

Edited by Profomisakari
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Profomisakari said:

Day 15 - Nishikigi

While not discounting the possibility that you may have accidentally time-traveled in the wrong direction, I do in fairness want to point out that Nishikigi is already his opponent for day 14.

Alright, Nishikigi was a pick that no one was finding without a dartboard and a prayer, so for the final day, I'm going a little silly and picking a matchup I want that is also at least somewhat plausible:

15. Meisei

I'm going to wait for Gurowake and Sakura, and take a wild stab at something different.