Sign in to follow this  
Jejima

Guess Hokutofuji's Aite - May 2022 edition

Posted (edited)

I don't know better, so Day 12: Endō.

This basho's results would be bad enough with the old shimpan, but this lot is a complete enigma in more ways than one.

Edited by Seiyashi

12 Endo. I think Daieisho will be needed for match-ups against contenders.

If Hokutofuji doesn't pick up a few more wins, I for one am not looking forward to the July edition (Shakinghead...)

• Haha 1

12. endo

hopefully i can finish strong

Endo turned out to be the better Daieisho.

Gurowake (YOw) 12-0
Sakura (Y1e) 11-1
Reonito (YOe) 11-1
Oshirokita (S1e) 10-2
Profomisakari (M1e) 10-2
Sumo Spiffy (mz) 9-3
Hakuhonofan (K1e) 8-3-1
WAKATAKE (M2w) 8-3-1
Jakusotsu (S1w) 7-5
Seiyashi (M2e) 7-5
Jejima (M3e) 7-5
Chartorenji (M4w) 7-2-3
shimodahito (M1w) 3-3-6
Ryoshishokunin (M3w) 1-0-11
The Kyokai (M3e) 0-12
Andonishiki (K1w) intai

Hokutofuji's aites: 1. Wakatakakage, 2. Abi, 3. Hoshoryu, 4. Onosho, 5. Terunofuji, 6. Mitakeumi, 7. Shodai, 8. Kiribayama, 9. Kotonowaka, 10. Takakeisho, 11. Takayasu, 12. Endo

• Thanks 1

Yeah, looks likely...

Day 13 - Takarafuji

Posted (edited)

Still figuring out the schedule for today, but yesterday, Takarafuji was doing so badly I genuinely forgot he was a better option for a bad-record fight than Terutsuyoshi.

Edited by Sumo Spiffy
typo
  • Haha 1

After a fair amount of thinking and a substantial amount of overthinking, I concur with the current consensus: 

13. Takarafuji

I have an offbeat backup idea, but I think they'd save it for later (potentially).

I'm more pleased that I got Takanosho-Ichiyamamoto and Hoshoryu-Kotonowaka right.

15 minutes ago, Sakura said:

I'm more pleased that I got Takanosho-Ichiyamamoto and Hoshoryu-Kotonowaka right.

Hey! Me too! :-D

• Like 1

Drat, as soon as I saw the Endo guesses yesterday, I knew I should have gone with my gut rather than following my predicted pattern.

Today /seems/ obvious:

Day 12 - Takarafuji

BTW - I am predicting Terunofuji-Ura (surmising Shodai will not face the yokozuna).

12 - Terutsuyoshi, to be contrary.

Two days left after this to roll the dice...

13. Takarafuji

Posted (edited)

Well, I was going to go initially with Tobizaru, but research showed that 5-6 M5 and M6s have recently been regularly matched against other sanyaku contenders despite probably not having much of a chance, while the few M1-M3 rikishi who were 3-8 were always matched up against other MK joi rikishi or those well outside the joi.  So I'm begrudgingly boarding the train.  I hate to do that as the leader this late both in the basho and in the day, but I'm showing my work.

13. Takarafuji

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Gurowake said:

Well, I was going to go initially with Tobizaru, but research showed that 5-6 M5 and M6s have recently been regularly matched against other sanyaku contenders despite probably not having much of a chance, while the few M1-M3 rikishi who were 3-8 were always matched up against other MK joi rikishi or those well outside the joi.  So I'm begrudgingly boarding the train.  I hate to do that as the leader this late both in the basho and in the day, but I'm showing my work.

13. Takarafuji

Since you mentioned him, Tobizaru was my fun backup idea, so you're not alone thinking that. The main thing I was trying to figure was Shodai's fight. Takarafuji seemed like a reasonable option, but given that Shodai's only one win behind Mitakeumi, they seem like the other sanyaku fight (with Waka/Abi) while Teru and Takakeisho go against contenders.

11 minutes ago, Sumo Spiffy said:

given that Shodai's only one win behind Mitakeumi, they seem like the other sanyaku fight (with Waka/Abi) while Teru and Takakeisho go against contenders.

I think given that the leading contender is Takanosho, and the only sanyaku he hasn't faced is Waka, that'll be on day 13. Not sure they'll deviate from the Teru-Takakeisho fight, especially as both have fought Kiribayama already, and there are matchups among the 8-4 maegashira still available.