Sign in to follow this  
Jejima

Guess Hokutofuji's Aite - May 2022 edition

Day 6 - Mitakeumi

Posted (edited)

Day 6: Mitakeumi

Edited by Seiyashi

6 - Mitakeumi, unless there is that weird even day voodoo that I still don't comprehend....

6. Mitakeumi

10 hours ago, Jejima said:

6 - Mitakeumi, unless there is that weird even day voodoo that I still don't comprehend....

We'll learn more about that tomorrow, but it doesn't involve Hokutofuji.

Chartorenji's pick came too late, I'm afraid.

Gurowake (YOw) 6-0
Sakura (Y1e) 5-1
Reonito (YOe) 5-1
Oshirokita (S1e) 5-1
Jakusotsu (S1w) 5-1
Hakuhonofan (K1e) 5-1
Profomisakari (M1e) 5-1
WAKATAKE (M2w) 5-0-1
Jejima (M3e) 5-1
Sumo Spiffy (mz) 5-1
Chartorenji (M4w) 4-1-1
Seiyashi (M2e) 3-3
shimodahito (M1w) 2-3-1
Andonishiki (K1w) 1-3-2
Ryoshishokunin (M3w) 0-0-6
The Kyokai (M3e) 0-6

Hokutofuji's aites: 1. Wakatakakage, 2. Abi, 3. Hoshoryu, 4. Onosho, 5. Terunofuji, 6. Mitakeumi

Day 7 - Takakeisho?

Looking at day 6, they did to the M2s what everyone bar @Gurowake was thinking they's do to the M3's on Day 4.

At least I know my Day 4 reasoning wasn't bad. The question is, why do it one way on Day 4 and a different way on Day 6? It bears more thinking about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sakura said:

Looking at day 6, they did to the M2s what everyone bar @Gurowake was thinking they's do to the M3's on Day 4.

At least I know my Day 4 reasoning wasn't bad. The question is, why do it one way on Day 4 and a different way on Day 6? It bears more thinking about.

Observation in my continued attempt to learn how this all works:

With Ichinojo out, the first day matchups were offset in terms of rank (apart from the 17s, since Ishiura's absence allowed that matchup). They left everything offset until day 5, when they put the 6s, 9s, and 11s together, and now on day 6 the 2s and 5s are together. I have zero clue why they chose those ranks in particular to do it with, and it would seem we're at a point where they'll start doing more record-based matchups before all the same-rank bouts are put together, but maybe not? I just found this intriguing, and I'm going to see who else it might happen with, but I'm not sure what it means (if anything).

Anyway, I just dug through six years of banzukes, and I can't figure out who would make sense for the next match except...

7. Shodai

But I await being shown the error of my ways. 

Very nervous to choose something different to Sakura, but by my reckoning, I think that Takakeisho would make more sense, so I'll happily join Klaus with this one :-) 

Day 7: Shodai

It's almost certainly one of the ozeki, so it's a coin toss. Having daiyokozuna Sakura on one side of that toss makes it pretty weighty. 

Posted (edited)
On 11/05/2022 at 14:33, Reonito said:

We'll learn more about that tomorrow, but it doesn't involve Hokutofuji.

So the thing that led us astray on Day 4 didn't happen on Day 6 (Scratchingchin...)(I see this has already been remarked upon; tried not looking at the thread before making my pick).

Edited by Reonito