Sign in to follow this  
Jejima

Guess Hokutofuji's Aite - May 2022 edition

Over the last two years the shimpan have made an exception to the even day rule when it comes to same-ranked rikishi. If they follow this rule, the it'll be Tamawashi.

However, this is a new set of shimpan, and prior to the previous set of shimpan they didn't follow the exception. In they follow this rule then it ought to be Onosho.

I don't know what this set of shimpan is going to do.

4 Tamawashi

Phew, almost forgot to make a pick; Sakura's reasoning is on point as always, might be worth rolling the dice on Onosho, but I'll join the train:

4. Tamawashi

44 minutes ago, Sakura said:

Over the last two years the shimpan have made an exception to the even day rule when it comes to same-ranked rikishi. If they follow this rule, the it'll be Tamawashi.

What's the even day rule?

Seems with this new shimpan committee GTB and GHA are both being, or going to be, mixed up big time.

4 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

What's the even day rule?

I'm curious about this myself. It must be the reason that, looking back at past bashos, the matchups don't go quite as expected even taking the number of sanyaku wrestlers into account and such, but I have no idea what it is.

11 hours ago, Sumo Spiffy said:

I made a different guess from everyone else day 1 and 2 until I realized how my thinking had been off. The same thing might happen here, but for now:

Daieisho.

Daieisho was my first pick as well until I counted the remaining intra-sanyaku matchups and realized there will be two each day from now on.

On the other hand, I can't see how Hokutofuji-Tamawashi would have violated the even-day-rule in any way, but that's why I'm just the reporter and not yokozuna anymore. Gurowake gets the reward for his boldness.

Gurowake (YOw) 4-0
Sakura (Y1e) 3-1
Reonito (YOe) 3-1
Oshirokita (S1e) 3-1
Jakusotsu (S1w) 3-1
Hakuhonofan (K1e) 3-1
Profomisakari (M1e) 3-1
WAKATAKE (M2w) 3-0-1
Jejima (M3e) 3-1
Chartorenji (M4w) 3-1
Sumo Spiffy (mz) 3-1
shimodahito (M1w) 1-3
Seiyashi (M2e) 1-3
Andonishiki (K1w) 0-3-1
Ryoshishokunin (M3w) 0-0-4
The Kyokai (M3e) 0-4

Hokutofuji's aites: 1. Wakatakakage, 2. Abi, 3. Hoshoryu, 4. Onosho

Day 5 - Terunofuji

Aha, I think I learned something new from the Day 4 torikumi. I'll have to see whether it will be helpful next basho.

Day 5 - Terunofuji

2 hours ago, Oshirokita said:

Aha, I think I learned something new from the Day 4 torikumi. I'll have to see whether it will be helpful next basho.

Day 5 - Terunofuji

I still have not learnt the even day rule....

5 - Terunofuji, Shirley. 

Posted (edited)

5 Terunofuji

I had a nagging feeling that this group would abandon what the previous group was doing. Should have trusted my gut. 

Edited by Sakura

7 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Daieisho was my first pick as well until I counted the remaining intra-sanyaku matchups and realized there will be two each day from now on.

On the other hand, I can't see how Hokutofuji-Tamawashi would have violated the even-day-rule in any way, but that's why I'm just the reporter and not yokozuna anymore. Gurowake gets the reward for his boldness.

Still curious about this even-day rule, but I stayed away from Tamawashi solely because the M3s have barely fought each other over the last few years. I'd have to go back and check again to be sure, but since 2020 I think it's happened three times total, and only once in the first half of the basho. I have no clue why this is, but I figured it was a good reason to go a different direction.

5. Terunofuji

10 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Nice work @Gurowake I'm kicking myself.

41 minutes ago, Reonito said:

Nice work @Gurowake I'm kicking myself.

I'm kicking myself too. I wish I'd followed my gut. My 2 hours of research got me nowhere. Actually, it gave me information about what the last shimpan group did and what others groups before them had done. Ironically, If I hadn't done the research I would have picked the same as @Gurowake.

A least we now have a data point as to how this group thinks. There are other parts of the torikumi on Day 4 which have been done differently than in the past, too.

5. Terunofuji

5. Terunofuji

Rushing for the train... 

Day 5: Terunofuji

This was the biggest yield since day four of last year's Natsu Basho.

Gurowake (YOw) 5-0
Sakura (Y1e) 4-1
Reonito (YOe) 4-1
Oshirokita (S1e) 4-1
Jakusotsu (S1w) 4-1
Hakuhonofan (K1e) 4-1
Profomisakari (M1e) 4-1
WAKATAKE (M2w) 4-0-1
Jejima (M3e) 4-1
Chartorenji (M4w) 4-1
Sumo Spiffy (mz) 4-1
shimodahito (M1w) 2-3
Seiyashi (M2e) 2-3
Andonishiki (K1w) 1-3-1
Ryoshishokunin (M3w) 0-0-5
The Kyokai (M3e) 0-5

Hokutofuji's aites: 1. Wakatakakage, 2. Abi, 3. Hoshoryu, 4. Onosho, 5. Terunofuji