Sign in to follow this  
Jejima

Guess Hokutofuji's Aite - May 2022 edition

Day 3, yet another ride on the train - Hoshoryu

day 3 - yeah, Hoshoryu

Posted (edited)

I'm travelling at the moment so with time zones involved, I thought I had more time to change my picks. Oh well.

Day 3: Hōshōryū

Edited by Seiyashi

22 hours ago, Gurowake said:

Day 4 looks to be the only interesting one week 1.

giphy.gif

I have a question, which may end up not mattering for this basho, but at least to know for the future:

I don't think I'm giving away state secrets to point out that, by the normal method of things, Hokutofuji should be Terunofuji's day 5 opponent. Now, let's say Teru fights the first three days and he's 1-2 or for some other reason looks like a possible, but not definite, dropout. We have to get our day 5 picks in before the day 4 matches, when Teru may or may not leave the basho. Do we essentially have to guess whether or not he'll stay in long enough to be scheduled against Hokutofuji, as well as who the replacement opponent will be if we think he'll be out?

I ask because the idea of the game is to understand the system, but this would be a case where we know what's supposed to happen, we just don't know what's going to happen due to wrestler health, not the decisions of the committee. I'm also not sure how advantaged people with better access to news might be (due to language, being in a better time zone, etc.). So, I wasn't sure if it was allowed to do an if-then type of pick (e.g. if he's in, Teru, if not, then rikishi X).

I understand how this could be a bit much to track if it were allowed anytime someone might theoretically be hurt or if putting in two picks became normal, but I'm solely thinking of this relative to the yokozuna rank because the yokozuna schedule is so standardized for at least the first half of the basho.

We had these "X and in case of kyujo Y" double picks before which stirred some controversy. In the end, Rijicho Jejima decided that only one pick is allowed, so you have to guess a possible kyujo as well.

• Thanks 2

Choo-choo!

Sakura (Y1e) 3-0
Reonito (YOe) 3-0
Gurowake (YOw) 3-0
Oshirokita (S1e) 3-0
Jakusotsu (S1w) 3-0
Hakuhonofan (K1e) 3-0
Profomisakari (M1e) 3-0
WAKATAKE (M2w) 3-0
Jejima (M3e) 3-0
Chartorenji (M4w) 3-0
Sumo Spiffy (mz) 3-0
shimodahito (M1w) 1-2
Seiyashi (M2e) 1-2
Andonishiki (K1w) 0-2-1
Ryoshishokunin (M3w) 0-0-3
The Kyokai (M3e) 0-3

Hokutofuji's aites: 1. Wakatakakage, 2. Abi, 3. Hoshoryu

Day 4 - Tamawashi

4. Well, I think 'normal' would be Tamawashi - but I have a feeling that Sakura will have a different - correct - choice ;-)

But, by my thinking, I would like to join the early Tamawashi train, please.

I made a different guess from everyone else day 1 and 2 until I realized how my thinking had been off. The same thing might happen here, but for now:

Daieisho.

Posted (edited)

We'll see if they continue in the tradition of making this one weird rule...

4. Onosho

Edited by Gurowake