Jejima

Sumo ABC help required

My 6 year old Peter (AKA Baku) is trying to compile an ABC list of sumo rikishi.

Abi
Bushozan
Chiyomaru
etc

He is stuck on finding rikishi beginning with the following letters:-  L, P, Q, V, X and Z.

Are there any? If not, any thoughts on suitable 'cheats' to fill the gaps? 

Good luck with L, Q and X!

You see Z in the middle of shikona often enough, but I can't think of any starting with Z.
Bit of a stretch, but how about the German pronunciation of Z being 'ts'?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

No luck on the first 5, but here are the Z's. If he can be satisfied with shikona containing a "P", this might be helpful.

Edited by Asojima
  • Like 1

Ozeki Kyushuzan might be Qshuzan?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

As mentioned, something starting with "Kyu" works for Q.  The closest you might get to an L is something that starts "Eru".  For V, something that starts "Bi". 

For X, well, I never have figured out how X even became a letter.  It's clearly superfluous.  There are a reasonable number of Latin words ending in x that really end in s.  Judging from the other forms of the words, "nox" (night) is really "nocts", "rex" (king) is really "regs", but before writing developed they considered the last sound to be distinct for some reason.  I don't know what my point is.  The closest thing you might find is something starting with "Kusu", but I doubt there are any.

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 2

Making me think....

If I were to give my son the 'ultimate' alphabet list of sumo rikishi - who would represent each letter?

I am thinking two lists *current* and *all-time*.

Maybe this could become a 'poll'....?

Nominations for the 'current' ultimate A (and why) and *all-time* ultimate A - and why.

It does not have to be based purely on achievement.

So, for the *all-time* A, I can see envisage Akebono and Asashoryu as being contenders, for different reasons.

So, please nominate current 'A' and all-time 'A', for a vote later on.

If this works, we'll go through the alphabet. My son, Peter, will love it! 

All time: Akashi Shiganosuke

Current: Akiseyama Mitsuhiko

Both are epic and sumo wouldn't be quite what it is without them, at least for me. There are a lot of other worthy candidates of course.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jejima said:

My 6 year old Peter (AKA Baku) is trying to compile an ABC list of sumo rikishi.

Abi
Bushozan
Chiyomaru

Anyone else do this to get to sleep (Beingunsure...)?

5 hours ago, Jejima said:

Abi
Bushozan
Chiyomaru
etc

He is stuck on finding rikishi beginning with the following letters:-  L, P, Q, V, X and Z.

None in the db for L, P, Q, V or X.  Several Z shikona:

Zogabana (O), Zaonishiki (M1), Zenshinyama (J2), Zogabana (J8), Zogatake (J10)

Zaomine (Ms55), Zendaidho (Sd85), Zogata (Sd4)

Zaodake (Jd36), Zaohikare (Jd48), Zuiho (Jd116), Zuiko (Jd46)

Zenitane (Jk11), Zensoseki (Jk60)

I'd nominate Aran (Alan), Baruto (Baltic) and Irumagawa for all-time "L". I think it's right to nominate Aran and Baruto cuz their shikona contains the transliteration of the letter L. As for current "L", I nominate Urutora - I believe it's the transliteration of Ultra.

For X, I found Kusunishiki, "kusu" as Gurowake suggested. As for current ones, I guess Akiseyama or Hokuseiho (it almost sounds like Hoxeiho from Japanese speakers)

17 minutes ago, Chiyotasuke said:

I'd nominate Aran (Alan), Baruto (Baltic) and Irumagawa for all-time "L". I think it's right to nominate Aran and Baruto cuz their shikona contains the transliteration of the letter L. As for current "L", I nominate Urutora - I believe it's the transliteration of Ultra.

For X, I found Kusunishiki, "kusu" as Gurowake suggested. As for current ones, I guess Akiseyama or Hokuseiho (it almost sounds like Hoxeiho from Japanese speakers)

You're NEVER going to get an L.  I looked for R shikona which might be Nihonized "L" names, perhaps from foreign rikishi; not much luck.  Firstly, there aren't that many "R" shikona, and many of them are actually "Ryu" names.  The closest I got was "Reonmaru", aka TAKANOBU Reon, which could be originally "Leon" (a name in many Western languages).  He's from Abiko, but unless anyone knows why he would use that root, I'd assume it was the Japanese name.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

You're NEVER going to get an L.  I looked for R shikona which might be Nihonized "L" names, perhaps from foreign rikishi; not much luck.  Firstly, there aren't that many "R" shikona, and many of them are actually "Ryu" names.  The closest I got was "Reonmaru", aka TAKANOBU Reon, which could be originally "Leon" (a name in many Western languages).  He's from Abiko, but unless anyone knows why he would use that root, I'd assume it was the Japanese name.

With some stretch of imagination Roho always sounded a bit like Loho.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jejima said:

Abi
Bushozan
Chiyomaru
etc

Nice idea but the names are Japanese which doesn’t use all 26 letters. ‘L’ doesn’t exist at all, for example, which is why it’s so notoriously hard for Japanese speakers to pronounce.

• Like 1

The SF Forum database is down right now so I can't go in and play.  Regarding rikishi names, do only shikona count as opposed to the rikishi's real name?  Have there ever been any Chinese sumo wrestlers?  I have heard that Chinese names beginning with "Q" are not uncommon, so that would be a possibility.

1 hour ago, Jakusotsu said:

Imagination is good and all, but Ro in Rohou stands for Russia (roshia). It's a genuine R through and through. The example with Reonmaru is much better in my opinion.

The only active Chinese rikishi is Daiseizan Daisuke, who debuted in Nov 2021.  However, he is actually from Inner Mongolia and his birth name does not start with L, P, Q, V,  X or Z.

Posted (edited)

Maegashira Soukokurai was also from inner Mongolia in China. Yes, ex-maegashira, of course.

Edited by Taliesin

Posted (edited)

Soukokurai is an Oyakata nowadays, not an active rikishi.  He is Arashio Oyakata, who has reason to be very proud right now.

Edited by sumojoann
  • Like 1

The only "Z" I could find close to an active rikishi is a Zabuton, especially when it hits him upside the head!!

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

All time Z has to be ex-maegashira Zaonishiki

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Well, for the all time list, I would put:

C: Chiyonofuji

F: Futabayama

H: Hakuho

K: Kitanofuji or Kitanoumi

T: Taiho

8 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Yes, and ":Roman" would become "Loman", but I doubt that his oyakata was alluding to Death of a Salesman.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

You're NEVER going to get an L.  I looked for R shikona which might be Nihonized "L" names.

That's definitely the case for my shikona.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

All time Z has to be ex-maegashira Zaonishiki

He's certainly the highest ranked, if you exclude a 19th Century Ozeki.  Zaonishiki seems to be a well-remembered rikishi.

Although it's hard to compete/compare with Akebono, my pick for all-time letter A would be Aminishiki. (Can be put also under letter U :-) )