Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

A full house will be allowed in Nagoya 2022, it was announced today. Same-day tickets will be sold as well.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The basho poster - quite boring IMO - looks like the design commission has new members as well

FTG8qo2UsAENe0c.jpg:large

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They've gone back to turn of the millennium aesthetics, I see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

And showing the eventual winner of this basho one way or another?

Edited by lackmaker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

The basho poster - quite boring IMO - looks like the design commission has new members as well

FTG8qo2UsAENe0c.jpg:large

Not just boring, but bad with it. All those hands cut off and the random anonymous shoulders at the bottom left. Terrible cropping.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aaah shoulders?!! I was quite confused first time I saw it, trying to put it in context with Teru/Takakeisho (Scratchingchin...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Not just boring, but bad with it. All those hands cut off and the random anonymous shoulders at the bottom left. Terrible cropping.

 

3 hours ago, hakutorizakura said:

Aaah shoulders?!! I was quite confused first time I saw it, trying to put it in context with Teru/Takakeisho (Scratchingchin...)

I think the shoulders belong to the same guy pushing Takakeisho with the disembodied left hand.  Apparently it's detachable and can be put on as an extension of the shoulder's right arm.  Since we can't identify this Superhero, I'm going to call him Gunbaihead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

 

I think the shoulders belong to the same guy pushing Takakeisho with the disembodied left hand.  Apparently it's detachable and can be put on as an extension of the shoulder's right arm.  Since we can't identify this Superhero, I'm going to call him Gunbaihead.

That's a really long arm...

Ok, I take back whatever complaints I had about the previous committee. PLEASE give us back those posters, they were at least interesting and pretty!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Shimanoumi looks like he's inspecting Kaisei's nipple

Edited by Katooshu
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Katooshu said:

Shimanoumi looks like he's inspecting Kaisei's nipple

If it's a breast cancer screening, he's checking out the wrong foreigner, IYKWIM.

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The gomen-fuda for Nagoya was put in place at the Aichi pref. gymnasium

the Nagoya team: Matsuchiyama (Bushuyama), Iwatomo (Kimurayama), chief Dewanoumi, Kumagatani (Tamaasuka), Chiganoura (Satoyama)

FV0unN1aUAAITbI.jpg:large

b_15407196.jpgo  img_12f37ab243a7c1d193f6cecc01d441a8362939.jpgo

local NHK

3000023237_20220622183329_s.jpgvid

 

70-80 nobori for the basho are in production in Gifu

last year the place had produced about half of that

other news clip https://newsdig.tbs.co.jp/articles/-/72533

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Old Shatterhand is dead said:

Is there any information on when cheering will be allowed again? It would be nice to see life return to the sumo arenas as well as spectators.

It feels like there has been casual disobedience of the rules for a while now - the audience is audibly noisier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

It feels like there has been casual disobedience of the rules for a while now - the audience is audibly noisier.

yea noisier but still far away from this ;-)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, definitely the zabutons won't be coming back. But yeah, the kakegoe is certainly to be missed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 20/05/2022 at 00:19, Seiyashi said:

Ok, I take back whatever complaints I had about the previous committee. PLEASE give us back those posters, they were at least interesting and pretty!

The NSK reacted somehow, for the Kyushu basho they have started a poster design campaign https://poster.sumo.or.jp/

Outsourcing of the design, comes cheap for them - they provide a template, and this extremely boring example design

test_image_s.jpg

The new committee at least knows that they are inept and unable to produce something as good as the previous posters for Kyushu.

They'd like new ideas as well - the winner of this "design contest" will have the poster used, but no mention of what he gets for that use.

The last 5 Kyushu posters, 2016-19 and last year: https://poster.sumo.or.jp/PosterWorks

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The past posters are actually pretty good, but they also seem to use pretty... I guess privileged photos are the term for it? It's hard imagining an ordinary fan coming up with anything as good without access to really good photos of their own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/05/2022 at 07:05, Akinomaki said:

The basho poster - quite boring IMO - looks like the design commission has new members as well

FTG8qo2UsAENe0c.jpg:large

I'm like 95% sure the Nagoya posters are designed by another group than the usual posters, going back for some years.

When the Kyokai put up their poster archive none of the Nagoya ones were there.

And for the Nagoya posters, this one is pretty good. They typically look like something you'd find on page 10 of a newspaper in between classified ads.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/05/2022 at 00:04, Yamanashi said:

 

I think the shoulders belong to the same guy pushing Takakeisho with the disembodied left hand.  Apparently it's detachable and can be put on as an extension of the shoulder's right arm.  Since we can't identify this Superhero, I'm going to call him Gunbaihead.

I guess it could be Wakatakakage's shoulder !?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 24/06/2022 at 07:48, Seiyashi said:

Well, definitely the zabutons won't be coming back. But yeah, the kakegoe is certainly to be missed.

Wait, the flying zabutons won't be coming back? Why is that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nelimw said:

 

Wait, the flying zabutons won't be coming back? Why is that?

At least in Kyūshū if I remember correctly, the zabuton in the masuseki are twofers - so 2x rectangular 1x2 rather than 4x square 1x1, so people can't throw it as easily. Even before COVID, zabuton were already a fairly serious injury risk because it's quite hefty, and obviously with COVID they're an infection risk. So that is probably a good habit to kick and not to have back when COVID-related measures are completely lifted, and the NSK could help it along by ordering that type of zabuton for all the basho venues if they haven't already done so or planned to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

At least in Kyūshū if I remember correctly, the zabuton in the masuseki are twofers - so 2x rectangular 1x2 rather than 4x square 1x1, so people can't throw it as easily. Even before COVID, zabuton were already a fairly serious injury risk because it's quite hefty, and obviously with COVID they're an infection risk. So that is probably a good habit to kick and not to have back when COVID-related measures are completely lifted, and the NSK could help it along by ordering that type of zabuton for all the basho venues if they haven't already done so or planned to do so.

I see... thanks for the info! I think I would be pretty entertained watching a twofer flying through the air but I wonder what scenario would warrant such a fan response....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now