Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Sorry, but I'm playing catch up today.  The bout between Yutakayama and Tsurugisho was ruled a uwatedashinage (overhand pulling throw) win for the former.  I've watched the replay numerous times (albeit Abema's single angle view), and I fail to see Yutakayama's hand getting any kind of grip on Tsurugisho's mawashi...

Anyone care to defend the kimarite ruling?  Please explain.

Watching nattosumo's video, you can see the angle where Yutakayama's left lands quickly on the mawashi. Blink and you'll miss it, even slowmo. Nice movement. 

Edited by Seregost
  • Thanks 1

For all the talk about a mizu-iri, I can't see a long bout taking place at all. Teru's knees surely won't let him just stand around with ichinojo leaning on him - there'll be action, quickly, and then one of them will be down or out. 

Solid win by Wakamotoharu. I really like his sumo. Though he currently has a 2-3 record in Nagoya, he's generally looked comfortable and composed since he entered makuuchi. I think he can rise higher in the banzuke.

1 minute ago, sumoforever said:

Also wow Ichinojo is really looking in good form this basho

Yeah, now it‘s definetely his to loose !

Both kadoban Ozeki makekoshi after joban. Not looking good. Mitakeumi on track to end 6-9, Shodai 3-12! Of course, it doesn’t work like that but it’s fun to look at trends. Mitakeumi can probably escape but Shodai is in for a rough second week.

Just now, Eikokurai said:

Both kadoban Ozeki makekoshi after joban. Not looking good. Mitakeumi on track to end 6-9, Shodai 3-12! Of course, it doesn’t work like that but it’s fun to look at trends. Mitakeumi can probably escape but Shodai is in for a rough second week.

Maybe Shodai pulls another Haru, where he went 9-6 from 1-4.

Nice. A 9th career kinboshi for Ichinojo and Terunofuji is now two off the yusho pace, not that that puts him out of contention by any means.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Benihana said:

Yeah, possible. Identical records so far. If he does it, he’ll cement his rep as sumo’s foremost escape artist.

Edit: Actually not 100% identical. He started 0-4 and then won one day 5. His record is identical to last basho’s though. Minor detail.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:
8 minutes ago, Benihana said:

Yeah, possible. Identical records so far. If he does it, he’ll cement his rep as sumo’s foremost escape artist.

In before he changes his shikona to Hōdainai next basho. 

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

The sanyaku are worse than last basho, none with only one loss remaining after day 5. I'm very pleased my favourite rikishi Ichinojo is in the lead, Ikioi thinks he might go for it, but I'm not THAT optimistic

Edited by Akinomaki

Posted (edited)

Can one of the experienced, knowledgeable members on this forum explain what Terunofuji was thinking by handing a morozashi to a rhino ?

Yes, he is extremely strong, and he gives up a lot of them, but to an opponent of that size ?

Edited by Gospodin

Posted (edited)

Great Day 5! Ichinojo is now sole leader and it's somewhat unexpected. I admit I wasn't 100% on board with the idea he would give it all against Teru, but I'm glad he did. If his back keeps being ok, Ichinojo has a clear shot for the yusho. Tomorrow Ichinojo vs. Mitakeumi (6-14). Normally one would expect for Ichi to lose, but I highly doubt that injured Mitakeumi can stand this Ichinojo.

Honorable mention for Kiribayama who won against Takanosho despite their previous 1-11 record (his sole previous win all back to Nagoya 2019).

The Wakabros won their respective Battle of the Hapless. Aside from Shodai and his erratic style, I start worrying about Hoshoryu as well. Tomorrow Wakatakakage vs. Kiribayama (3-6). Very nasty pairing for Wakatakakage, especially considering that Kiribayama won all their last four encounters.

Last, the Day 6 musubi no ichiban will be a 2022 classic: Terunofuji vs. Tamawashi. The Yokozuna surely does not need to give away yet another kinboshi.

Edited by Hankegami

28 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

The sanyaku are worse than last basho, none with only one loss remaining after day 5. I'm very pleased my favourite rikishi Ichinojo is in the lead, Ikoi thinks he might go for it, but I'm not THAT optimistic

Gotta say that Ichinojo is looking good so far this tournament.  He has faced five of the sanyaku elite, and smoked them all.  There are only two more sanyaku left.  Tomorrow he faces Ozeki Mitakeumi after which he will have to fight Abi.  Mitakeumi is not 100% this tournament (to put it mildly) and Abi might be a great thruster, but how effective will his thrusts be against the man mountain that is Ichinojo?

Going forward, Kiribayama has an outside chance of handing Ichi a loss, Takanosho less so.  But Ichinojo might be able to win the championship with a 13-2 record (14-1 might be asking for too much).  Keep in mind that Ichi had a whole tournament to rest up.  No signs of long Covid that I see.  I see a back-in-form, potential champ at the moment!

(P.S., who is Ikoi?)

• Like 2

Six sekitori went undefeated into Day 5.

Only one, the lad who faced the yokozuna, remains. (Laughing...)

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Gospodin said:

Can one of the experienced, knowledgeable members on this forum explain what Terunofuji was thinking by handing a morozashi to a rhino ?

Yes, he is extremely strong, and he gives up a lot of them, but to an opponent of that size ?

Well, if his expression after the bout was any indication, Terunofuji was wondering what his earlier self was thinking too. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Looked to me like Ichi had the better tachiai and positioned himself well, making it difficult for Teru to get a solid grip. Teru then settled on locking Ichi's arms rather than not having a hold at all. Of course with Ichi's size/strength that was always going to be a problem - it's a move that generally only works vs significantly smaller and physically weaker opponents.

Perhaps Teru was also complacent given how one-sided their rivalry had been.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Gotta say that Ichinojo is looking good so far this tournament.  He has faced five of the sanyaku elite, and smoked them all.  There are only two more sanyaku left.  Tomorrow he faces Ozeki Mitakeumi after which he will have to fight Abi.  Mitakeumi is not 100% this tournament (to put it mildly) and Abi might be a great thruster, but how effective will his thrusts be against the man mountain that is Ichinojo?

Going forward, Kiribayama has an outside chance of handing Ichi a loss, Takanosho less so.  But Ichinojo might be able to win the championship with a 13-2 record (14-1 might be asking for too much).  Keep in mind that Ichi had a whole tournament to rest up.  No signs of long Covid that I see.  I see a back-in-form, potential champ at the moment!

(P.S., who is Ikoi?)

Good point. He’s got the week one joi schedule of course so next week is, on paper, the easier of the two. Great opportunity to finally take the yusho after two very close calls in the past. His two jun-yusho would have won him the cup more often than not, so he’s due a bit of luck there.

• Like 2

Only 1 flying zabuton for Ichinojo? 
Thought he deserved more...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

(P.S., who is Ikoi?) 

No longer by that name and I forget the proper spelling of Kasugayama now

Go Ichi!! 

I'll be thrilled to see him win the yusho. His two JY were pretty exceptional, hope he will continue performing well and achieve higher than those.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Edit: Actually not 100% identical. He started 0-4 and then won one day 5. His record is identical to last basho’s though. Minor detail.

Very possible considering he'll face the weaker guys week two  like other Ozeki.

Edited by Rocks
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

So far, Onosho was the only rikishi in history who was the sole undefeated leader after day 5 at Maegashira for two times in his career (Aki 2017 and Aki 2020).

Ichinojo joined that exclusive club today (after Nagoya 2016).

Edit: Each of these three streaks ended on day 6, so Mitakeumi knows what to do tomorrow.

Edited by Jakusotsu
  • Thanks 2

I'm glad Ichinojo decided to fight. It made for a fun match to see someone beat Terunofuji at his own game in a way.