Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Great final bout! (Clappingwildly...)

Teru struggled, but on the other hand he got a W over one of the biggest thorns in his side.....quite the finishing slam. And how about that slap and late shove from Takakeisho earlier. Little guy isn't playing around - usually I'm not into that type of stuff, but it was good to see him with some fire again.

Edited by Katooshu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

As per usual, my two cents on the day:

Tochinoshin vs. Shimanoumi was bittersweet. I admit I root for Tochi most times, but I'm saddened to see Hubbynoumi going 0-3.

Tamawashi still got it. The man is incredible. I am not sure whether he will be able to get things up to a yusho bid (see above), but impressive nonetheless. Tomorrow he will face Shimanoumi. It's plain cruel. Sadanoumi, sorry. Guess my emotions blurred my reading. Still a nasty pairing, though.

Ichinojo rams. Hoshoryu did his best, but once 'Nojo got a good grip on his belt it was all over for good. His match vs. Takakeisho tomorrow will be interesting.

The Sekiwake. Daieisho is still unconvincing. Today's win was more Wakamotoharu's blunder than his own doing. But a win is a win. Also Wakatakakage won, but he gave an overall convincing performance. Let's see if he can build up something on it. Tomorrow Takanosho vs. Daieisho (7-6), and Wakatakakage vs. Abi (2-0). A good Wakatakakage would dispatch Abi out of the yusho race for the moment, but... Will he do?

The Ozeki, that is Takakeisho (Terunofuji is serving as Yokozuna-Ozeki, let's be honest). The Hamster is back doing Hamster things, like bulldozering Kotonowaka out. Keep with it, 'Keisho. About the other two, Mitakeumi couldn't keep Abi at bay. Were he healthy, he would have stood his ground for sure, but Abi today just tsuppari'd him out easy. And Shodai... well, I'm impressed he put up some fight. Kiribayama however just needed to turn him on his side to push him out. Looked like Kaisei. He could end up like Kaisei, in fact. Takakeisho is against Ichinojo tomorrow, while Mitakeumi is vs. Kiribayama and Shodai vs. Hoshoryu. Finally a freebie for the Nephew.

Last, Terunofuji. Boy what a match. Takanosho just threw pretty much everything at him and even more, and for a couple times I thought Teru was done for good. Yet he won. The tournament leader guys should better keep their score perfect, otherwise Teru will eat them up. Tomorrow Terunofuji vs. Kotonowaka (3-0). Four Tits looks yummy.

So, that's Day 3. The most outstanding tournament leaders are of course Ichinojo and Tamawashi. The most dangerous runner-up is undoubtedly Terunofuji, but also Kiribayama Kotonowaka, Takakeisho and Abi would beg a word - for now. I think the game in the next days will be "beat Teru and keep winning". Abi did it, Kiribayama didn't, and Kotonowaka is next.

Edited by Hankegami

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's just add that I'm quite impressed with Nishikigi's sumo so far.

There, now I've jinxed him...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Let's just add that I'm quite impressed with Nishikigi's sumo so far.

There, now I've jinxed him...

I really hope you did as I have him quite high in UDH ...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Let's just add that I'm quite impressed with Nishikigi's sumo so far.

There, now I've jinxed him...

Yeah, after his streak of 6 MKs in 20/21 and barely staying in Juryo after a 7-8 at J13, i thought he's toast. But now he's on a 5 KK streak and he looks like this basho will be the 6th.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Seiyashi said:

Oooo, spicy. Takakeishō clearly hasn't forgotten his last controversial encounter with Kotonowaka at - was it Ōsaka? (The one where he punched the wall on the way back to the shitakubeya). Fierce nodowa and harite from Takakeishō, and then a little dame-oshi to the chest at the end clearly after Kotonowaka is over the bales.

And that stops Kotonowaka's ginboshi streak.

I don't know what's up between these two guys, but they seem to bring angry sumo against each other.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Three days of dire Ozeki sumo so far then. Feels like we’re heading for a repeat of last basho where an underwhelming Terunofuji has enough to win against equally underwhelming challengers. Hopefully we get a bit of intrigue developing in coming days. Ichinojo looks like he could provide it and he has experience in yusho races so shouldn’t be too fazed if he finds himself still at head of the pack come the weekend.

I hope WTK can take advantage of the weakened Ozeki ranks to keep his own run going. After dropping his first two bouts he doesn’t have much margin of error. To get a promotion this time he basically needs to win out to finish 13-2. But 10-12 wins could be enough to go into September with the chance to do like Asanoyama* and get promoted based on a four-basho record of 40+/60 wins, rather than the usual 33/45.
 

*10-11J-10-11 at M2-K-S-S, promoted for his 17th basho in Makuuchi. Wakatakakage is so far on 12Y-9-?-? at S-S-S-? and is currently in his 14th Makuuchi appearance overall. 

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of poor finishing tonight. 

Very amusing to watch Terutsuyoshi attempt to sweep Ichiyamamoto's leg from 5 feet away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

*10-11J-10-11 at M2-K-S-S, promoted for his 17th basho in Makuuchi. Wakatakakage is so far on 12Y-9-?-? at S-S-S-? and is currently in his 14th Makuuchi appearance overall. 

In context, if Wakatakakage makes ōzeki at all, this basho will be more like Asanoyama's first 10-win basho in the sequence. If you look at Wakatakakage's results, the 12-3Y was a pretty big outlier in a field of largely indifferent KKs with a handful of 10-5 and 11-4, and the 12-3Y was his best result in the joi where the next best was 10-5. In contrast, Asanoyama after that 12-3Y from M8 and a 7-8 mild MK at M1, went on the 10-11-10-11 sequence from M2.

I don't see the NSK rushing to promote Wakatakakage on this basho even if he nets 12 wins to meet the standard this basho (13 is a pipe dream now). But I'm not foreclosing the possibility either that he has an Asanoyama-like path to ōzeki.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Rocks said:

A lot of poor finishing tonight. 

Aye, but poor finishing can make for some extraordinary happenings: witness Kotoeko's victory over Meisei.

It can also be part of the learning curve for rikishi on their way up, like Wakamotoharu, who knew exactly what he'd just done wrong.

Ichinojo looked daggers at Hoshoryu for a moment after their bout. I'm not used to seeing any emotion on his impassive face, so what's that all about?

Everybody's looking at Shodai, but I'm not sure Mitakeumi can get himself out of kadoban either...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Kanzaki reminds me a lot of Mitakeumi in all aspects. Physically, demeanour, sumo. He looks a bit more impressive than most other sandanme tsukedashi, like he's still got a lot more in the bag. I have high expectations for him.

EDIT: Compared with Kinbozan, who's having the same kind of results, it feels like the latter puts more effort into his wins and that he's further on the edge of his ability than Kanzaki is.

Edited by Koorifuu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

Tamawashi giving Endō a masterclass in how not to oshi. 

Anyone else feeling a Tamawashi yūshō?

Not while he only holds a one win lead over Terunofuji 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Ichinojo looked daggers at Hoshoryu for a moment after their bout. I'm not used to seeing any emotion on his impassive face, so what's that all about?

 

Looked like Hoshoryu held onto Ichinojo's belt a little long after being forced out. I don't think Ichi enjoyed being dragged off the ring. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It really says something about the parity at the top of the banzuke that the Komusubi that's faced two sanyaku is 2-1, having beat both sanyaku but having lost to the maegashira, and the Komusubi that's faced 1 sanyaku is 1-2, beating the maegashira that the other Komusubi lost to.  There is so little space separating everyone up there other than Terunofuji that the results are just a mishmash, and even Terunofuji is far from as dominant as Hakuho was.

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Hankegami said:

 

Tamawashi still got it. The man is incredible.

What´s making it even more impressive is that oshi specialists tend to peter out earlier than yotsu wrestlers.

Edited by Gospodin
editorial correction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

I don't see the NSK rushing to promote Wakatakakage on this basho even if he nets 12 wins to meet the standard this basho (13 is a pipe dream now). But I'm not foreclosing the possibility either that he has an Asanoyama-like path to ōzeki.

On the other hand, if Mitakeumi and Shodai continue on their current path, how comfortable is the NSK going to be with going into September with just Terunofuji and Takakeisho, neither of whom can be expected to be durable, occupying the two top ranks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

In context, if Wakatakakage makes ōzeki at all, this basho will be more like Asanoyama's first 10-win basho in the sequence. If you look at Wakatakakage's results, the 12-3Y was a pretty big outlier in a field of largely indifferent KKs with a handful of 10-5 and 11-4, and the 12-3Y was his best result in the joi where the next best was 10-5. In contrast, Asanoyama after that 12-3Y from M8 and a 7-8 mild MK at M1, went on the 10-11-10-11 sequence from M2.

I don't see the NSK rushing to promote Wakatakakage on this basho even if he nets 12 wins to meet the standard this basho (13 is a pipe dream now). But I'm not foreclosing the possibility either that he has an Asanoyama-like path to ōzeki.

I’m afraid I don’t agree with that. Wakatakakage’s record in Makuuchi up to his yusho was miles better than Asanoyama’s was up to his, at higher ranks.

WTK: 10-11-7-0-10-9-5-9-8-9-12Y

ASA: 10-5-9-8-7-11-7-6-8-7-12Y

Wakatakakage had just two makekoshi, excluding his full kyujo, in the build up to his yusho. Seven of the ten basho before his yusho were spent at ranks M1-M3, one at Komusubi, only two at M8 and M16. I don’t see that 12Y as an outlier at all. I see it as the culmination of a string of strong performances in the joi by a young rikishi rapidly adapting to and performing comfortably at the highest level.

Of Asanoyama’s ten pre-yusho tournaments, six were at M16-M11, two at M8 and two at M5. He had five makekoshi and two minimal kakekoshi. His yusho was more of an outlier to me, coupled with the fact it came at a middling rank.

I see no compelling reason why the Kyokai wouldn’t count WTK’s 12Y as the beginning of a run if he manages double digits again this time and in September. He won it at Sekiwake after an unbroken string of nine tournaments ranked M3-S. Asanoyama only made it above M5 for the first time because of his yusho win.

Side note: It’s interesting to be able to compare these two sandanme tsukedashi and see the parallels between their careers. Asanoyama won his yusho in his 10th Makuuchi basho, Wakatakakage was technically in his 11th after an earlier one-and-demoted appearance, but was his 10th in a row after coming back. 

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NSK always seems more willing to under-promote than over-promote.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Reonito said:

On the other hand, if Mitakeumi and Shodai continue on their current path, how comfortable is the NSK going to be with going into September with just Terunofuji and Takakeisho, neither of whom can be expected to be durable, occupying the two top ranks?

Also this. In recent years, the Kyokai has shown more willingness to seize the chance to promote someone when they can, regardless of whether they have technically met the preferred ‘33/45 at junior sanyaku’ standard or not. Tochinoshin, Shodai and Asanoyama are all examples. You just never know when someone will next put up promotable numbers, especially now with there being no standout stars able to consistently dominate. If there’s a guy who manages 4 basho of 9-12 records in sanyaku, with a yusho in the mix, are they really going to deny him because that 9-6 record wasn’t 10-5? I don’t think so. They’ll be more concerned about keeping the Ozeki ranks stocked.

Let’s go worst case scenario and imagine WTK just scrapes double digits this basho and next. He’d have 12Y-9-10-10 all at Sekiwake. How is that not a promotable record but Asanoyama’s 11-10-11-10 at M2, Komusubi and Sekiwake (x2) is?

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Benevolance said:

The NSK always seems more willing to under-promote than over-promote.

Not recently. Shodai is an Ozeki for a reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Eikokurai has made all my points for me, but I'm going to reiterate the premise because I feel like it. If Wakatakakage goes 12-3, I can't imagine why a 12-3 Y, 9-6, 12-3 (almost certain to be at least JY) entirely at Sekiwake wouldn't earn promotion, even in a time where the ozeki contingent were stronger.

9-6 is a perfectly good KK, and seeing a dip in performance after a first-time yusho is very typical, an argument could be made that 9-6 is a strong follow-up. 

He'll need the 12-3, don't get me wrong. And that's a big ask at this point, so to @Seiyashi's point, I also think this period for him more about showing/continuing to show junior sanyaku consistency so that when the numbers do come he's still in a position to grab it. Hopefully he doesn't become the next iteration of Goeido/Mitakeumi while we wait.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Godango said:

He'll need the 12-3, don't get me wrong.

I'm beginning to wonder. With Daieisho faltering and anyone else 3 basho away, he is likely their only chance to bolster the rank before next year if both kadoban Ozeki go MK. Hatsu 1993 is the only basho in the modern era in which they let the Y/O count drop to 2, and Takahanada looked poised to become Takanohana, which happened the very next basho...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Godango said:

@Eikokurai has made all my points for me, but I'm going to reiterate the premise because I feel like it. If Wakatakakage goes 12-3, I can't imagine why a 12-3 Y, 9-6, 12-3 (almost certain to be at least JY) entirely at Sekiwake wouldn't earn promotion, even in a time where the ozeki contingent were stronger.

9-6 is a perfectly good KK, and seeing a dip in performance after a first-time yusho is very typical, an argument could be made that 9-6 is a strong follow-up. 

He'll need the 12-3, don't get me wrong. And that's a big ask at this point, so to @Seiyashi's point, I also think this period for him more about showing/continuing to show junior sanyaku consistency so that when the numbers do come he's still in a position to grab it. Hopefully he doesn't become the next iteration of Goeido/Mitakeumi while we wait.

At this point, I’m going out on a limb and writing off this basho in terms of a yusho run and just setting him the target of 10 wins to contribute to a four-basho Ozeki run instead, but of course a yusho run is still technically possible even if difficult with his two losses so far.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now