12 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Finally we can complete the meme. Ichinojo joins the club of rikishi who have won hatsu yusho since Takayasu made Ozeki.

Ichinojo yushooooooouuuu!!

Awesome stuff, not sure why they had to ask him about covid-kyujo, his schedule wasn't super affected. Beat 2 sekiwake, 2 ozeki, a yokozuna...

12 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

%3E

Hakuho wondering who let this get so out of control

29 minutes ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

Ichinojo yushooooooouuuu!!

Awesome stuff, not sure why they had to ask him about covid-kyujo, his schedule wasn't super affected. Beat 2 sekiwake, 2 ozeki, a yokozuna...

I think they were referring to Ichinojo himself being covid-kyujo last basho.

11 minutes ago, Leo C said:

I think they were referring to Ichinojo himself being covid-kyujo last basho.

Yes, I think that was what they were referencing too, but my gripe is why did they go on and on about Terunofuji.. this was Ichinojo’s day, his win, his special day. I was pleased to hear him say.. Well I just wanted my yusho today, and I’m very happy. when asked if he wanted to be there (yokozuna) like him ( Terunofuji) one day. . 

Posted (edited)

I know what you mean, but they are long-time friends who came to Japan together, were on the same high school team, and of course faced off this basho, with Ichi's win contributing to his yusho. With their long history, Teru being at the highest rank, and Ichi finally getting the yusho to start a possible run to higher ranks, it was natural to bring up at some point.

Edited by Katooshu

7 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

As usual, Chris Sumo's commentary is interesting, but cringe yet again. He definitely inserts himself into the action, if you are wanting to be a good "reporter" then inserting yourself into the story is not quality journalism. And he also implies that somehow everybody did NOT want to see a playoff between Teru and Ichi, that everybody just wanted to go home. Would 30 minutes really have made a difference?

I don't usually participate in the bickering because I want to just appreciate the good he is doing and ignore the petty grievances, but sometimes his tangents to make a point do go into the mindless activist sense that I particularly hate. Have a react :)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Yarimotsu said:

I don't usually participate in the bickering because I want to just appreciate the good he is doing and ignore the petty grievances, but sometimes his tangents to make a point do go into the mindless activist sense that I particularly hate. Have a react :)

Agree.  I was disturbed by his "backstage" story that the sekitori were clamoring to just get the heck out of Dodge (or Nagoya).  That's pretty rude and, dare I say, un-Japanese.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

Now we know that all Shodai needs is to jump ship and join Magaki's new heya and we'll have our next Yokozuna. 

If Magaki is on the jungyō (and I think he will be, as press club liaison), then if Shōdai is snapped talking to him.... yall know what's up then.

Jokes aside I'll bet a crow Shōdai goes on degeiko.

Edited by Seiyashi

1 hour ago, Yarimotsu said:
8 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

As usual, Chris Sumo's commentary is interesting, but cringe yet again. He definitely inserts himself into the action, if you are wanting to be a good "reporter" then inserting yourself into the story is not quality journalism. And he also implies that somehow everybody did NOT want to see a playoff between Teru and Ichi, that everybody just wanted to go home. Would 30 minutes really have made a difference?

Yes, while I have no doubt everyone wanted to get home as fast possible I doubt a playoff entered into it for anyone except a few rikishi. Most have left the building before then anyway, aren't they? 

11 hours ago, Kotomiyama said:

Hoshoryu: slowly but firmly, he gets another sanyaku KK. He has everything to be an Ozeki by 2023 and I am sure he will be.

As long as he keeps on losing to the likes of Midorifuji, I am sure he won't.

3 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

He only needs to get the shimpan on his side and maybe he won't lose - at least for the Midorifuji bout many fans thought he was robbed. Mainoumi and Kitanofuji commented that a mono-ii was in order, because Midorifuji's toes (left foot) touched the dohyo with the wrong side as he applied the watashikomi. https://npn.co.jp/article/detail/200023002

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:
4 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

He only needs to get the shimpan on his side and maybe he won't lose - at least for the Midorifuji bout many fans thought he was robbed. Mainoumi and Kitanofuji commented that a mono-ii was in order, because Midorifuji's toes (left foot) touched the dohyo with the wrong side as he applied the watashikomi. https://npn.co.jp/article/detail/200023002

Be that as it may, he wasn't as convincing in his bout against Midorifuji as he was against some of his other opponents. It's true he might have been robbed in this bout but he's also now 0-4 against Midorifuji, and he needs to have a better strategy the next time he fights Midorifuji and other nigate. That being said, he has looked much better this basho than previously, so that's perhaps only a matter of time.

Posted (edited)

https://www.sankei.com/article/20220725-RF3LVZWZHVJC5JLGC3YKIKD5IU/

Post yūshō interview with Sankei: Ichinojō expresses a wish to aim for ōzeki.

Nikkan points out trivia that Ichinojō is only the fifth wrestler above 200kg to win a championship, the other four being Ōnokuni, Konishiki, Akebono, and Musashimaru.

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 2

Ichiiiiiii banzaaaaaaai!!!(Iamnotworthy...)

So proud of my big baby!

Posted (edited)

Being ozeki by 2023 leaves Hosh with just 2 more tournaments to be promoted - seems unlikely to me. He's very good and steadily improving, but not quite at that level yet. If you move the date back to later in 2023 or 2024, then it seems more feasible. I think he should make the rank eventually given how well he's doing at just 23, but he's not going to speedrun up the ranks the way that some elite talents have.

Incidentally, I remember him going 10-5 in this very tournament last year, which was supposed to be a sign of coming run that would see him ozeki by 2022....

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

When someone says 'by' a certain date I take it as meaning it has already been achieved when that specified time arrives. Going by that, being ozeki when 2023 arrives would mean being promoted after the November basho, which I think is too ambitious for someone who has never had double digit wins in sanyaku.

But if the poster means any point in 2023, that is certainly more realistic and I could see it happening. It wouldn't take adding many more wins to his record. I think one thing that's important for Hosh is to start faster in each basho - he has a tendency of closing strong, and if he can add a few more wins up front it could be the difference.

He has gotten to a point where I am on the 'when not if' side of things as far as ozekihood is concerned.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1

The traditional live appearance after the yusho on NHK Sunday sports

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

It was a very odd basho. Ichinojo took to slapping and thrusting down his opponents rather than going for the belt and had spectacular success. He could have persisted with that approach but he just didn't like fighting that way.  I think that this was the only case of a wrestler going 14-1 and not taking the yusho without being given the chance to face the 15-0 winner.

In recent times, yes, but Kiyokuni did the same in 1964.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi_basho.aspx?r=4024&b=196401

• Thanks 1

On 25/07/2022 at 20:05, Katooshu said:

When someone says 'by' a certain date I take it as meaning it has already been achieved when that specified time arrives. Going by that, being ozeki when 2023 arrives would mean being promoted after the November basho, which I think is too ambitious for someone who has never had double digit wins in sanyaku.

But if the poster means any point in 2023, that is certainly more realistic and I could see it happening. It wouldn't take adding many more wins to his record. I think one thing that's important for Hosh is to start faster in each basho - he has a tendency of closing strong, and if he can add a few more wins up front it could be the difference.

He has gotten to a point where I am on the 'when not if' side of things as far as ozekihood is concerned.

Yes, sorry, I meant becoming Ozeki anytime in 2023. I should have worded the phrase correctly.

• Like 1

Here is a new video (uploaded 3 days ago) of Ichinojo's post-Yusho interview translated into English.  Excellent translation, much better than the video I posted on the previous page. 

One of the YT comments about Ichinojo was funny but kind of mean-spirited.  "The densely unemotional robotic response of rikishi is unfortunate.  It reads like repression.  Use the winnings to buy a personality."

3 hours ago, Kotomiyama said:

Yes, sorry, I meant becoming Ozeki anytime in 2023. I should have worded the phrase correctly.

A good chance for it as long as he stays healthy

On 25/07/2022 at 20:18, Seiyashi said:

Post yūshō interview with Sankei: Ichinojō expresses a wish to aim for ōzeki.

He can achieve that wish right now. It’s easy to aim for Ozeki. We can aim for Ozeki. He should be bolder and wish to actually become one. :-D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

He can achieve that wish right now. It’s easy to aim for Ozeki. We can aim for Ozeki. He should be bolder and wish to actually become one. :-D

So shy ... has he checked with his Oyakata to see if gambarizing will be involved?

I'm planning to aim to eventually wish to become ozeki, without gambarising.