Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

True, Sadanoumi kinboshi incoming (Laughing...)

Edited by Katooshu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kanno vs Yago today/tonight/insert whatever works with your time zone as the first bout of juryo is an interesting one ! The young makushita2 just got his KK but will aim for more to boost his chance of promotion and putting Yago, one demotion candidate, closer to MK

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Kanno has hit his stride as a pro and looks better than I expected he'd be at this time in his career. He's always been crafty and had good timing, but his physical strength is much greater than it was in his amateur days, when even small and relatively weak opponents would push him back and force him into desperation moves.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gurowake said:

There's one particular match during Terunofuji's first Ozeki run that I remember well because he looked mostly helpless against a much weaker rikishi.

The mighty Tokushoryu? Much weaker?? Blasphemy!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, thanks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enhō loses another bout because his mage sweeps the dohyō before his opponent, while Hokuseihō potentially opens up the jūryō yūshō race by clawing even with Hiradoumi. Ryūden can either capitalise against Atamifuji to take sole lead for the first time, or fall to be back in line with the other three at 7-2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Context on the continuous shutting down of sumo stables.

It’s just a reflection of what’s happening nationwide.

Daily new infections numbers in Japan over the course of the pandemic.

Currently breaking all time records.
 

FYAjae-Yag-AMr2xf.jpg

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Interesting occurrence in jūryō in Daishōhō vs Akua: Daishōhō springs a heavy nosebleed mid bout, and the gyoji takes the initiative to call a temporary halt to the bout to stem the bleeding with the help of tissues brought by a yobidashi. Not to much avail though, as Daishōhō still looks like the Rocky Horror show, and the bout, when resumed, ends with him not putting up much resistance.

The wrestlers also jump the gun a little on the resumption, forcing the gyoji to halt them once more before resetting them into the proper position, which he does by yelling authoritatively and smacking both wrestlers on the back again (what he did to stop the bout in the first place).

After the bout, the dohyō is cleaned by scattering salt on the spilt blood, then the yobidashi redo the surface with the help of some clay and a watering can.

Edited by Seiyashi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Inside Sport Japan said:

 

 

5th if we count Tagonoura

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talking about Juryo, no one ever noticed Chiyosakae? He's at his Juryo debut at 32 years old and currently in the runner-up group with 7-3. The man passed a lifetime in the nonsalaried ranks and now could even have a chance to grab the second division yusho (an unlikely event, of course. Ryuden appears to have booked it already). Call it a worthy story! I sincerely hope he wins at least another one and get his KK. Such an underdog deserves a few fully paid bashos.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Miyagino is today's special guest on the NHK broadcast, and talking about the sekitori that he raised when I tuned back in. Probably in consideration of the fact that he's reaching retirement age after this basho. Magaki also had a brief appearance (as an oyakata) in a prerecorded segment.

There were snippets of stable life, including a particularly funny incident during one of their annual mochitsuki sessions. A much younger Hakuhō, with flour all over his face and head, pranked Miyagino with a fistful of dough while the latter was kneading dough at a table.

Edited by Seiyashi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Hankegami said:

Talking about Juryo, no one ever noticed Chiyosakae? He's at his Juryo debut at 32 years old and currently in the runner-up group with 7-3. The man passed a lifetime in the nonsalaried ranks and now could even have a chance to grab the second division yusho (an unlikely event, of course. Ryuden appears to have booked it already). Call it a worthy story! I sincerely hope he wins at least another one and get his KK. Such an underdog deserves a few fully paid bashos.

I have yet to do an empirical study of this, but a division debut tends to go either disastrously or fantastically, without necessarily saying anything about a rikishi's long term prospects in that division.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The crowd had a collective laugh when Tsurugishō forgot to collect his kenshō. He did the tegatana, then immediately got up and stepped off the dohyō; he had to be called back to receive... a single envelope.

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

There were snippets of stable life, including a particularly funny incident during one of their annual mochitsuki sessions. A much younger Hakuhō, with flour all over his face and head, pranked Miyagino with a fistful of dough while the latter was kneading dough at a table.

 The funniest part of that to me was how he stoically continued to knead the dough, face covered in flour, without missing a beat. 

Edited by Shinobi Steve
Font

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Nishikigi records the first katchikoshi in Makuuchi this basho--on Day 10. Anyone know what is the longest this has ever taken?

Edited by Kaninoyama

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NHK news with a sad reminder that with heavy rains, various towns are vulnerable to mudslides, including Atamifuji's hometown of Atami, which suffered a fairly catastrophic one last year IIRC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

I have yet to do an empirical study of this, but a division debut tends to go either disastrously or fantastically, without necessarily saying anything about a rikishi's long term prospects in that division.

Yes, I know. That's why I added I hope he will stick around for some more time. About the general trend on debuts, I suspect that's because new rikishi are, in fact, new. Few know them already and they can A) Have a great basho because no one have figured them out yet B) Take slaps left and right because THEY do not know their new adversaries yet.

About Chiyosakae himself, I suspect A. He started out disastrously against fellow newcomers who know him well from Makushita, and then he went on a 5-0 rampage from day 5 onward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Katchikoshi #2 Tobizaru has gotten there with a different winning technique each day. What's the record for that??

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Nishikigi records the first katchikoshi in Makuuchi this basho. What's the longest this has ever taken?

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query_bout.aspx?show_form=0&group_by=basho&group_by2=day&year=1949-2022&day=8-15&wins1=8&gsort_by=date&offset=3300

Scanning by eye for latest day to clock 8 wins, only 9 basho in the 15-day era have had their first KKs appear in day 10 - most basho have a first KK by day 8 and it's rarer, but by no means uncommon, to have the first KK on day 9 only.

The 9 basho are: Hatsu 1972, Kyūshū 1974, Nagoya 1975, Hatsu 1976, Haru 1999, Natsu 1999, Nagoya 2003, Natsu 2022, and now Nagoya 2022.

If you consider "late" in terms of largest ordinal number of bouts, then the latest would be Nagoya 1975: Kongō scored the only KK in the basho so far against ōzeki Kaiketsu in the 16th bout of makuuchi. 

The rest would be: 

  • Hatsu 1972: 8th bout, Yoshioyama vs Mutsuarashi
  • Kyūshū 1974: 6th bout, Kirinji v Fukunohana
  • Hatsu 1976 is special: jūryō visitor Konuma clocked his KK in the 2nd bout of makuuchi, but the first makuuchi rikishi to clock the KK was Tamanofuji in the 4th bout vs Kotonofuji.
  • Haru 1999: 4th bout, Chiyotenzan v Gojōrō
  • Natsu 1999: 6th bout, Tōki v Kyokutenhō
  • Nagoya 2003: 6th bout, Tokitsuumi v Kinkaiyama
  • Natsu 2022: 5th bout, Kotoshōhō v Ichiyamamoto
  • Nagoya 2022: 9th bout, Chiyoshōma v Nishikigi (runner up).
Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query_bout.aspx?show_form=0&group_by=basho&group_by2=day&year=1949-2022&day=8-15&wins1=8&gsort_by=date&offset=3300

Scanning by eye for latest day to clock 8 wins, only 9 basho in the 15-day era have had their first KKs appear in day 10 - most basho have a first KK by day 8 and it's rarer, but by no means uncommon, to have the first KK on day 9 only.

The 9 basho are: Hatsu 1972, Kyūshū 1974, Nagoya 1975, Hatsu 1976, Haru 1999, Natsu 1999, Nagoya 2003, Natsu 2022, and now Nagoya 2022.

If you consider "late" in terms of largest ordinal number of bouts, then the latest would be Nagoya 1975: Kongō scored the only KK in the basho so far against ōzeki Kaiketsu in the 16th bout of makuuchi. 

The rest would be: 

  • Hatsu 1972: 8th bout, Yoshioyama vs Mutsuarashi
  • Kyūshū 1974: 6th bout, Kirinji v Fukunohana
  • Hatsu 1976 is special: jūryō visitor Konuma clocked his KK in the 2nd bout of makuuchi, but the first makuuchi rikishi to clock the KK was Tamanofuji in the 4th bout vs Kotonofuji.
  • Haru 1999: 4th bout, Chiyotenzan v Gojōrō
  • Natsu 1999: 6th bout, Tōki v Kyokutenhō
  • Nagoya 2003: 6th bout, Tokitsuumi v Kinkaiyama
  • Natsu 2022: 5th bout, Kotoshōhō v Ichiyamamoto
  • Nagoya 2022: 9th bout, Chiyoshōma v Nishikigi (runner up).

Thanks for the quick research. It felt like a rarity. So not a single day-11 first KK? Would that even be mathematically possible? Or just so improbable that it has never happened...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Thanks for the quick research. It felt like a rarity. So not a single day-11 first KK? Would that even be mathematically possible? Or just so improbable that it has never happened...?

Not as far as I can see. Honestly we're probably in the one time period where the first KK would turn up on day 11, because it sort of implies that the whole banzuke is roughly evenly matched such that there's no clear dominator. The 1970 basho mostly had absences or poor performances from the reigning yokozuna, and I don't think it's an accident that both 1999 (with Akebono and the Hanada Brothers suffering with loss of form) and this year have furnished two each.

As to mathematical possibility, first KK on day 11 implies a yūshō line of 12-3 tops, and someone who would be 8-3 by day 11 with no other co leaders wouldn't be very likely to stay perfect for the rest of the basho. Far more likely that the yūshō line in such a case would be 11-4, and we know how rare those are.

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Knowing what Magaki said to Shōdai, it's now hilarious to see Shōdai limbering up a little on the dohyō itself. A lot of hand shaking and shrugs, relative to his old habits.

And I'll be damned, the advice continues to work. Shōdai finally looking consistently like an ōzeki. Ura had no chance in the bout.

Edited by Seiyashi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now