On 04/07/2022 at 08:45, Seiyashi said:

You'd have to coordinate with your box partner, that's for sure, and it mightn't get very far...

Just to put things into context, there is a picture of Asashōryū looking a bit discomfited in a zabuton storm when he was in one of the masuseki during a basho. Asashōryū is scared of flying zabuton - let that sink in.

Continue my education.... how thick are these things? I always imagined a thick pillow with similar punching power 

(Man, I've got to make it to Japan to see a tournament in person)

1 hour ago, nelimw said:

Continue my education.... how thick are these things? I always imagined a thick pillow with similar punching power 

(Man, I've got to make it to Japan to see a tournament in person)

Depends, the upper boxes of the Tokyo bashos have zabuton so thin I think you'd have to fold it into the shape of an airplane to get it to the dohyo.

They are also the only thing separating your ass from a carpet that hasn't been cleaned since the meiji restoration so you would definitely think twice before throwing.

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

Depends, the upper boxes of the Tokyo bashos have zabuton so thin I think you'd have to fold it into the shape of an airplane to get it to the dohyo.

They are also the only thing separating your ass from a carpet that hasn't been cleaned since the meiji restoration so you would definitely think twice before throwing.

It's CARPET?! I thought it was a hard floor like vinyl ties or something.... carpet in a sporting venue just doesn't seem like a good idea...

36 minutes ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

Idea for sumo goods: zabuton the size of a tea coaster, sold especially to be thrown (a bit like the miniature clay roof tiles sold at Yashima mountain neat Takamatsu, to be thrown from one of the viewing points, according to the tradition of Kawara Nage(瓦投げ) …

6 minutes ago, nelimw said:

It's CARPET?! I thought it was a hard floor like vinyl ties or something.... carpet in a sporting venue just doesn't seem like a good idea...

Its like a piece of carpet placed onto a hard surface. You can see a bit of the grodyness in the chopped masu here.

650x_35543277.jpg?updated_at=1412051694

• Thanks 1

We'd usually have torikumi for days 1&2 by now, no? Am I off by a day?

57 minutes ago, Godango said:

Am I off by a day?

Think so. 

• Like 1

I think it comes out Friday evening Japan time

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Godango said:

And with it, the absences. Confirmation that both Takayasu and Ishiura will start kyujo: https://www.sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoMain/absence/

That surely ends Ishiura's sekitori stint. What's up with him - further recovery needed for his neck injury? 

Day 1 match-ups:

Ryuuden (Juryo)Chiyomaru
Yutakayama -     Ouhou
Ounoshou -       Tsurugishou
Kotoshouhou -    Meisei
Shimanoumi -     Nishikigi
Okinoumi -       Tobizaru
Aoiyama -        Sadanoumi
Wakamotoharu -   Endou
Houshouryuu -    Ura
Tamawashi -      Daieishou
Kotonowaka -     Shoudai
Takanoshou -     Mitakeumi
Terunofuji -     Abi
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seiyashi said:

That surely ends Ishiura's sekitori stint. What's up with him - further recovery needed for his neck injury? 

with neck stuff like that, I wouldn't be too shocked if he calls it a day. He has a job waiting at his old university and gets to send his recruits to Hakuho. Shame though, a career-high and looking to potentially be a force, and then this happens...

Posted (edited)

Is it possible the basho will be cancelled in light of the tragic news out of Nara today? Perhaps a period of mourning? Sumo isn’t that important.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Is it possible the basho will be cancelled in light of the tragic news out of Nara today? Perhaps a period of mourning? Sumo isn’t that important.

I was wondering the same.

For those without context, former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe was assasinated today, information here: 

Posted (edited)

AFAIK only for the Emperor (and possibly an Emperor Emeritus) will the basho be stopped or postponed. There might be a reference to it and a moment of silence during the go-aisatsu, though.

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 1

On 06/07/2022 at 00:01, Tsuchinoninjin said:

This only just dawned on me, but are the zabuton cleaned more frequently than the carpet or just as infrequently? 

53 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

This only just dawned on me, but are the zabuton cleaned more frequently than the carpet or just as infrequently? 

Zabutons covers can be laundered and stuffings changed.

these flat carpets need special cleaning chemicals as they age (not to mention the glue needed to fix the, in place), better to just change them wholesale. 

3 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

AFAIK only for the Emperor (and possibly an Emperor Emeritus) will the basho be stopped or postponed

It was postponed by a day wasn't it? When Emperor Showa passed away

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, code_number3 said:

It was postponed by a day wasn't it? When Emperor Showa passed away

Emperor Hirohito. Yes. It was the first time I experienced all TV channels broadcasting all day only on one event, some for days, as the start of Heisei. The Showa tenno was very fond of sumo, what will happen when the Heisei tenno has passed away might be different.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

The Showa tenno was very fond of sumo, what will happen when the Heisei tenno has passed away might be different.

That makes sense.

For added context for those who don't already know: the Emperor's Cup used to be called the Prince Regent's Cup when Hirohito was regent during the illness of his father Emperor Taishō. 

Were other sporting events similarly delayed during the death of Emperor Shōwa? 

Posted (edited)

Rikishi Tanabata (7.7.) wishes, on the Tanabata tree at the basho

202207090001157-w200_8.jpgo

Terunofuji: have the 15 days end without harm
202207090001157-w200_3.jpgo

Shodai: escape kadoban
202207090001157-w200_10.jpgo

Takakeisho: (rough) yusho
202207090001157-w200_4.jpgo

Mitakeumi: 4th yusho

202207090001157-w200_7.jpgo

Chiyotairyu: a Rolex
202207090001157-w200_0.jpgo

Ichiyamamoto: Hachiyamamoto (ichi: 1, hachi: 8 - 8 wins)
202207090001157-w200_1.jpgo

Midorifuji: become a manly man
202207090001157-w200_2.jpgo

Akua: eat plenty of sweet things
202207090001157-w200_6.jpgo

Tokushoryu: get the best score
202207090001157-w200_9.jpgo

Atamifuji: to makuuchi
202207090001157-w200_5.jpgo

Edit: I was  several minutes late

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 08/07/2022 at 22:50, Seiyashi said:

Were other sporting events similarly delayed during the death of Emperor Shōwa? 

IMO, probably there were no major sporting (league) events happened around that time. Baseball season usually around end-March/early-April. No football league matches scheduled after 1988 Emperor's Cup Final on January 1st, 1989. 

Edit: I thought JSL season was held during calendar year in 1988, but it was held across the year (https://www.rsssf.org/tablesj/jap89.html).

Edited by code_number3
  • Thanks 1

Speedy dohyo making - from 0

• Like 2