Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Kaninoyama said:
10 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Follow up on this: my Japanese listening comprehension is bad, but I believe I caught something to the following effect as commentary during the Aoiyama-Shimanoumi bout:

"Because of his marriage ceremonies, he couldn't do training, and it's too bad."

Wasn't quite that. The commentator was just speculating that maybe due to being too busy getting married prior to the basho he didn't appear to be in as good condition as usual. 

Then the conversation continued with the announcer commenting that most Makuuchi rikishi these days are married and Kitanofuji responding that in his day almost none were, because they didn't want the public to say that they stopped winning because they got married, and also because they lived for the day without concern for the future, which. Kitanofuji expressed regret about doing in his own life. 

Out of reacts for the day but thanks. Hm, is Kitanofuji married?

Different topic, but it's really sad to see Tochinoshin keep fighting with so much spirit, mainly because you can't help but wonder what he could have achieved had he not been injured so much. Of course he used to be the poster boy for triumphal makuuchi returns, but Terunofuji has stolen his thunder and then some. I'll be sad to see him go, especially as he doesn't seem to be staying in ozumo.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Out of reacts for the day but thanks. Hm, is Kitanofuji married?

Different topic, but it's really sad to see Tochinoshin keep fighting with so much spirit, mainly because you can't help but wonder what he could have achieved had he not been injured so much. Of course he used to be the poster boy for triumphal makuuchi returns, but Terunofuji has stolen his thunder and then some. I'll be sad to see him go, especially as he doesn't seem to be staying in ozumo.

Married, divorced (was a huge playboy back in the day), and now (as far as anyone seems to know) re-married to a former Ginza hostess. 

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wakamotoharu cool as a cucumber in the face of monkey business.

Now the ball is in Ichinojō's dohyō. Time to see if he can capitalise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Nice tawara footwork by Kotonowaka to improve to 5-2. 

I love this kid. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The crowd sounds surprisingly displeased/taken aback at the news of Takanoshō's withdrawal.

Couldn't help but laugh at the thought of Ichinojō v Shōdai, but then it'll be completely in character for Shōdai to be the one to put dirt on Ichinojō, isn't it?

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Couldn't help but laugh at the thought of Ichinojō v Shōdai, but then it'll be completely in character for Shōdai to be the one to put dirt on Ichinojō, isn't it?

You rang?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Shodai!

I think Ichi gave him a little too much respect.

Edited by Kujo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Hankegami said:
11 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Couldn't help but laugh at the thought of Ichinojō v Shōdai, but then it'll be completely in character for Shōdai to be the one to put dirt on Ichinojō, isn't it?

You rang?

I am in that weird place between "I told you so" and an exasperated "Of course it's him, isn't it?". My mouth doesn't quite know how to arrange itself at the moment. (Thinkingindepth...)

Still Ichinojō's race to lose, but it's not as comfortable as it could have been.

Also, jinxing services available for a fee - for enquiries, please call 55 - 7866 - 5469.

(Kudos to whoever can decipher the in-joke, although I suspect most denizens of this forum are of sufficient age to know how.)

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kujo said:

Shodai!

Just because I picked it for TTT doesn't mean I actually wanted it to happen...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What the hell did Takakeishi just do there?

Was he channeling Enho?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Crafty sumo by Abi! Literally tossed Takakeisho out of the ring. 

Edited by Kaninoyama

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kujo said:

What the hell did Takakeishi just do there?

Was he channeling Enho?

My guess is, trying to dodge Abi's trademark nodowa and hoping to connect with him centre mass and up, leaving him pushing air and unbalanced. That said, it was a very Enhōesque move in appearance even if not in intent (Enhō would go for the head bury and belt grip).

Unfortunately, it just let Abi pull a Hokuseihō and reach over Takakeishō to grab him by the back of the belt. Takakeishō probably forgot that making yourself shorter when you're already vertically challenged isn't the brightest of ideas...

I propose a new kimarite called the Hamster Ball Toss.

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, Ura, my poor sweet summer child. That has to be a record for giving up a kime hold to Terunofuji that early in a match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Correct, especially for one not infected himself

I hope the people considering whether to demote him consider the difference between kosho and stable-wide COVID kyujo - it's not like this is mitakeumi's choice in any way. He's being forced to exit the basho, whereas with an injury he can at least mount the dohyo.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Abi says the henka was unplanned. Planned to go with his normal morotezuki but Taka ducked under and he just reacted naturally. 

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Takakeisho tries to be Enho (yeah, no way he can get low like Enho) and then Ura tries to be Ichinojo (well the double inside worked for Ichi on Day 5).

Edited by Kujo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kujo said:

then Ura tries to be Ichinojo (well the double inside worked for Ichi on Day 5).

Ichi's mass worked for Ichi, not the double inside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Yarimotsu said:

I hope the people considering whether to demote him consider the difference between kosho and stable-wide COVID kyujo - it's not like this is mitakeumi's choice in any way. He's being forced to exit the basho, whereas with an injury he can at least mount the dohyo.

I think the "consideration" is because this never happened before and the MIB are fairly unpredictable when making a banzuke. I don't think he should be demoted, but ichinojo dropped a rank in the last banzuke because of covid (made no sense to me or my GTB).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Ichi's mass worked for Ichi, not the double inside.

Oh I completely agree, but why would you willingly walk into what Ura just walked into?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A good win for Shodai.  Hopefully, he musters enough wins to keep his rank.  I love to see Ura get his KK despite today's (uninspiring) loss.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

A double inside with that mass helps. The kime grip isn't the tool to use against someone your own height who is also massive and very strong themselves - that  changes the leverage and physical dynamic, and as we saw Teru couldn't get anything behind it vs Ichi. It's a move best suited for much smaller / weaker opponents. 

Teru's struggled a lot in the past when he's tried using it on guys who are simply too strong to give up the position to, e.g. Kise and prime Takayasu. I think Teru would be even more effective if he had solid belt grips, but it's just easier for him to lock the arms and he still wins doing that most of the time.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kujo said:
3 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Ichi's mass worked for Ichi, not the double inside.

Oh I completely agree, but why would you willingly walk into what Ura just walked into?

I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if it involved a "hold my beer" moment at Kise last night.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now