Kintamayama

Nagoya 2022

43 minutes ago, Old Shatterhand is dead said:

This damn covid has completely neutered the atmosphere of sumo matches... I'm afraid that the cheering will never be the same as before the covid.

I wouldn‘t worry to much, here in Germany at football games it‘s like before covid, since full capacities are allowed again…

Wish one of the shimpan had called Mitakeumi back to perform at least a semblance of a bow after his day 5 loss. Second time he’s pulled that stunt this tournament. Hope he loses his rank, honestly, whereas I was indifferent before. 

6 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

No longer by that name and I forget the proper spelling of Kasugayama now

I suppose you mean/meant Ikioi.  

Wow, just when I was about to come here and rant about how this is probably my least favorite basho in recent memory and how I was only watching the highlights the following day and not catching it live (the way I sometimes do when it's really interesting) Ichinojo GOES ON AND FRIGGING BEATS TERU... the one thing I never saw possible due to Ichi's mental midgetness all of a sudden the dude shows us what he is capable when he is confident and now all of a sudden I'm invested and I can't wait.

Waka had a nice win against emo kid.

Ura had a beautiful throw against Mita.

And I miss Ishiura.

Those are my 4 takeaways from the latest day. Can you imagine an ichinojo basho?????

7 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Only 1 flying zabuton for Ichinojo? 
Thought he deserved more...

Same! I wonder if there was an announcement against the practice or something? 

If Shodai does something crazy like beating Ichinojo in a few days, I'll eat a hat. (I hear hat eating is all the rage on this forum). 

• Haha 3

Ichinojo’s 9th kinboshi has now gotten him into the top 10 list

• Like 3

Someone go make a big bowl of coffee to keep the big man awake or ask Hakuho to slap him a bit before his matches.

A bit concern to when he fights the lower ranked in the second week if he is still in the lead. That's against whom he normally gets the stupid losses where he doesn't even try.

13 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Both kadoban Ozeki makekoshi after joban. Not looking good. Mitakeumi on track to end 6-9, Shodai 3-12! Of course, it doesn’t work like that but it’s fun to look at trends. Mitakeumi can probably escape but Shodai is in for a rough second week.

At least Shodai has two working arms...

Shodai is reaching new levels of bad, even for shodai his performance so far has been abysmal, I usually root for him to pull through with the miraculous KK at the end to heroically escape kadoban but not anymore, it’s downright annoying to see him suck so much, does he even want to be there? Is he being forced to be a rikishi? I hope he gets demoted all the way down to kindergarten dodgeball 

Edited by Kuhne

4 hours ago, nelimw said:

Same! I wonder if there was an announcement against the practice or something? 

There's always an announcement against the practice, even while dozens are flying into the dohyo. 

• Thanks 1

Will Terunofuji finally stop his losing streak vs Tamawashi? He kinda have to. I'm not sure Mitakeumi can stop this Ichinojo with his current health but who knows

In lower divisions, i have to say i'm rly interested in Ishizaki vs Kanzaki down in makushita

Edited by Bakayokozuna
  • Like 1

At some point Terunofuji thought he could kimedashi Ichinojo...when he noticed he couldn't do that even with adamantium knees, was too late. Glad the latter won, even when I really never liked him too much. Former Chiyotaikai commented today. He sounded a bit doubtful...can someone say if he said good stuff? Always liked him when he was a rikishi.

10 hours ago, since_94 said:

Wish one of the shimpan had called Mitakeumi back to perform at least a semblance of a bow after his day 5 loss. Second time he’s pulled that stunt this tournament. Hope he loses his rank, honestly, whereas I was indifferent before. 

I do have some sympathy for Mitakeumi, he's pretty much being forced to fight on with a clearly useless arm and put on a brave face. One-armed sumo isn't gonna get you far at this level.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yarimotsu said:

I do have some sympathy for Mitakeumi, he's pretty much being forced to fight on with a clearly useless arm and put on a brave face. One-armed sumo isn't gonna get you far at this level.

https://www.chunichi.co.jp/article/508237?rct=sumo

Kitanofuji doesn't share that sympathy. He was touched off by Takakeishō's posturing over the hair pull, and it seems Mitakeumi touched another nerve yesterday. 

Edited by Seiyashi

11 hours ago, Kuhne said:

Wow, just when I was about to come here and rant about how this is probably my least favorite basho in recent memory and how I was only watching the highlights the following day and not catching it live

You're not alone; I find jūryō more interesting this basho. 

Kitanowaka isn't looking sharp this basho at all. IIRC he had an injury lately? Still seems to be ailing him.

Size still seems to be an advantage at least in lower jūryō. Tochimaru put out an impressive barrage of tsuppari and Hokuseihō just no-selled it and moved forward gradually.

A relatively rare sight: Kaisei vs Kaishō, both sharing the same first kanji. Looking increasingly like curtains for Kaisei; Kaishō threw him like he was nothing. The sumo sense seems to be going as well.

Akua paying for a failed kakenage in spectacular fashion. Enhō goes for the ashitori immediately afterwards, and while he doesn't land it, unbalances Akua enough that he gets momentarily airborne and is bullrushed out of the ring by contact with Enhō's shoulder alone, similar to how Abi was helped to fly out of the ring a while back when Enhō was M4.

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Seiyashi said:

https://www.chunichi.co.jp/article/508237?rct=sumo

Kitanofuji doesn't share that sympathy. He was touched off by Takakeishō's posturing over the hair pull, and it seems Mitakeumi touched another nerve yesterday. 

And it's not the first time that K'sho has done it too. Not going to earn fans by being petty when you clearly lost the match. I didn't even see anything remotely close to a HP, even with Chris Gould's angle

• Like 1

NHK mentioned that Enho has injured both ankles now, one since the start of the basho, plus the elbow(s). Hakuho managed to bring 3 uchideshi to makuuchi, but it looks like all of them will have a short career.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

NHK mentioned that Enho has injured both ankles now, one since the start of the basho, plus the elbow(s). Hakuho managed to bring 3 uchideshi to makuuchi, but it looks like all of them will have a short career.

Three?

Also, not sure if some of it is a function of preferring older recruits. Hokuseihō is the youngest of his successful recruits by quite a margin.

1 minute ago, Seiyashi said:

Three?

Also, not sure if some of it is a function of preferring older recruits. Hokuseihō is the youngest of his successful recruits by quite a margin.

3, Daikiho already left

• Thanks 1

ex-Kotoshōgiku and ex-Toyonoshima are the invited commentators on NHK's broadcast today.

• Like 1

Looks like Nishikifuji got the nod to serve as Terunofuji's dew sweeper.  With Terutsuyoshi's terrible 1-4 record, little wonder why the Yokozuna didn't want him around ... ;-)

41 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

A relatively rare sight: Kaisei vs Kaishō, both sharing the same first kanji.

Not only that, they were heya-mates once.

• Like 1